The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default hypothetical Q- want your opinion

Situation- A very good employee of the stable is cleaning the barn about 9:30 am.

A very good Boarder comes to the barn sets up and brings her horse in to groom and tack up well behaved horse.

Only a few places to cross-tie in said barn. All of these are in the isle.

Employee is angry at Boarder for being in her way. Employee never asks boarder if she can get out of the way or move when needed. Boarder is unaware Employee is angry, proceeds with her business and goes out on a ride.

Boarder finds out later that employee was upset and emails an apology with explanation that boarder will communicate better in the future.

Employee barely acknowledges apology and days later sends an email telling Boarder that all boarders must be aware of Staff safety and staff considerations.

As a boarder here, i can say every other staff member will kindly ask someone if they can move to the side or move their horse if needed. What do you think abut this situation?

I think employee needs to grow up and stop being such a whiny, passive aggressive jerk.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

62 members found this post helpful.

I misread your title as "hypothetical IQ".

Guess that I was not so far off.

Somehow that seems such a First World Problem!

Ok, seriously, if I was managing that stable, I would see how to avoid such future problems.
    Maybe start by finding another way to set a different grooming area, out of the way of the aisle, so the aisle is clear for all and any, not only staff cleaning stalls or feeding or whatever.

Then, when it comes to social graces and who needs to apologize or be apologized to, my IQ there comes kind of short.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    Situation- A very good employee of the stable is cleaning the barn about 9:30 am.

A very good Boarder comes to the barn sets up and brings her horse in to groom and tack up well behaved horse.

Only a few places to cross-tie in said barn. All of these are in the isle.

Employee is angry at Boarder for being in her way. Employee never asks boarder if she can get out of the way or move when needed. Boarder is unaware Employee is angry, proceeds with her business and goes out on a ride.

Boarder finds out later that employee was upset and emails an apology with explanation that boarder will communicate better in the future.

Employee barely acknowledges apology and days later sends an email telling Boarder that all boarders must be aware of Staff safety and staff considerations.

As a boarder here, i can say every other staff member will kindly ask someone if they can move to the side or move their horse if needed. What do you think abut this situation?
    My thought? Employee, though a good one, needs to untwist their passive agressive panties for a second, and step into managements office for just a quick word. The (not really a) situation seemed over and done with the apology, and it should have been acknowledged and moved on from, it sounds. Especially since this type of boarder, if the situation is as described, is NOT a dime a dozen with sending an email of an apology to general staff just for unknowingly being in the way.

25 members found this post helpful.

Talk to BO / BM in case boarder is missing something basic about the staffer?

And if boarder sees the situation clearly, hope that the staffer can grow up on the emotional intelligence frontier. Life is too short to spend it in snits.

Best wishes to all parties and a friendly resolution.

2 members found this post helpful.

Employees and boarders really shouldn't be communicating directly. Employee should have spoken to management, management should have handled it by telling employee to cool off or reminding boarders in general about keeping the aisles clear, or whatever. Better yet put in some grooming bays!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

6 members found this post helpful.

Mountain out of molehill???
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

15 members found this post helpful.

Maybe the stable help would have an easier time doing her job at 6:30 AM so she can be done and out of the way when the customers start to show up and do what they PAY THE Farm TO BE ABLE TO Do.

Follow the money- customers pay farm- farm pays stable help. If there is something customers are doing that is getting in the way of the farm being able to run efficently/ safely/ properly... that is for the BO/mgmt to reconcile- not for the stable help to take upon themselves.

or to put it another way- You are being paid to walk a wide circle around Miss Priss's horse and you will like it.

45 members found this post helpful.

The barn manager/owner needs to take employee in hand and read her/him the riot act, starting with "without boarders you lose your job so you better bust your fanny to keep them happy," cruising through "if you've got a problem you take it up with me and you do not ever spread your discontent around to other people," and ending with "if something like this ever happens again, you're fired."

BM/BO also ought to apologize to the boarder for the fuss.

If this happened on a farm I was running, I would be very upset. Good boarders with nice, well-behaved horses are a lot more rare than one might think. And, the employee's behavior was, IMO, unacceptable. However, I admit that I'm kind of a hardnosed boss, so I understand that my response probably won't suit everyone. LOL, someone once described me as not nice, exactly, but unfailingly polite and always fair. I'll take that.

43 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I think employee needs to grow up and stop being such a whiny, passive aggressive jerk.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    The barn manager/owner needs to take employee in hand and read her/him the riot act, starting with "without boarders you lose your job so you better bust your fanny to keep them happy," cruising through "if you've got a problem you take it up with me and you do not ever spread your discontent around to other people," and ending with "if something like this ever happens again, you're fired."

If this happened on a farm I was running, I would be very upset. Good boarders with nice, well-behaved horses are a lot more rare than one might think. And, the employee's behavior was, IMO, unacceptable. However, I admit that I'm kind of a hardnosed boss, so I understand that my response probably won't suit everyone. LOL, someone once described me as not nice, exactly, but unfailingly polite and always fair. I'll take that.
    To me that would be a HUGE compliment. Nice is overrated and too often results in nasty passive aggressiveness - perhaps the problem of the "good employee." I honestly don't tend to trust someone who can't ask me to let them pass with a cart/horse going to turnout/etc. with my horse, because that's the type of person I've seen not demand proper respect from a horse then wail on it unfairly for behavior which has always been allowed.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

The employee was out of line and should have this explained ASAP by management. The correct thing to do was of couse finish up that part of the barn after the horse had gone out--and without complaint.

I'd be interested to know the work background of this "employee."

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post

I didn't convey that point in my comment, either. I'd would apologize if I was the BM/BO, also. Talk about being embarrassed and wanting to make sure all's good with a good client.

3 members found this post helpful.

Employee was being absolutely ridiculous. If boarder were truly in the way completely, boarder could perhaps politely be asked to make way BUT I really question whether that is appropriate given that boarder was tacking up her horse in the appropriate area for tacking up a horse -- the crossties. Not boarder's fault the only crossties are in the aisle.

I actually tend to agree that the employee should have either gone around some way or waited to clean that area -- however, if employee really needed to go through without delay, it is completely on the employee to make the request, politely. Boarder can't read her mind! Ridiculous. How old is this employee? Very juvenile to take offense at something so small and not be able to vocalize a request to remedy the situation.

BUT the followup text/email employee sent after receiving the apology from the boarder? That was way beyond the pale. I could possibly not take action over the initial comments to the boarder (other than discussing how it should be properly handled), but after the boarder apologized and then the employee snarked at this good customer again? In writing, no less? No way is that acceptable. Write up/warning/stern talking to/whatever.

Huge apologies are due to the boarder who unknowingly made inconvenience just for using the facility she pays to use (as others have pointed out), and who then, despite sincere apologies, got repeatedly snarked at.

Not such a good employee IMO.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

8 members found this post helpful.

If my employee sends such an inappropriate letter to a paying customer, he/she is out of my door. If employee has any issue with how things are conducted at my stable, he/she needs to bring it up to my attention. It is not their job or their right to lecture a customer.

18 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    Maybe the stable help would have an easier time doing her job at 6:30 AM so she can be done and out of the way when the customers start to show up and do what they PAY THE Farm TO BE ABLE TO Do.
    I take it as the employee was cleaning the aisle. I'm sure she showed up earlier and had already fed and cleaned stalls. Not always possible to be out of the way of customers and its not like she was preventing the client from doing anything...

She should have just cleaned around the horse moved on.

And not sure why barn employers and boarders shouldn't communicating directly...

3 members found this post helpful.

Employee needs to be fired. When staff behaves like this, it is because staff is angry about other issues and is taking everything out on this boarder. Best to get rid of angry, unhappy person now before she does something bad.

5 members found this post helpful.

. . .What do you think abut this situation?
    I think both parties were being kind of passive-aggressive.

Really? Boarder was sincerely apologizing for not "communicating better" when Employee didn't say anything to her in the first place? I think Boarder was actually trying to call out Employee for gossiping behind her back (to the person who then turned around and told Boarder what Employee said about her. Boarder needs to realize this person will probably tell tales on her too! )

Employee, embarrassed at being caught out by Boarder, then sends really idiotic email that would obviously get her fired at a lot of barns.

I think both people need to grow up and stop hiding behind emails. Boarder needs to say to Employee "Gee, how about next time just ask me to move over? I didn't know I was in your way." Employee needs to stop talking about paying customers behind their backs, and really needs to not send silly emails to paying customers.

But at this point, I think both parties need to just drop it. This situation makes them both look ridiculous.

The boarder being in the way, that is something management really needs to address if it can be a problem, no matter how it came to light.
    That is what managers do and better if it had realized that could be a problem and figure a better way to handle grooming and aisle traffic.

As for the boarder apologizing to the barn employee to start with, that never made sense to me, but I don't know what goes on there.

Some barn employees can be very good ones and still not have much sense when it comes to people, that is also part of what the manager needs to work on.
    That can be a problem any place you have someone in charge, boss, foreman, business owner, working with a client and workers doing their job around the client.

Quote Originally Posted by CGirl10 View Post
    . . .

And not sure why barn employers and boarders shouldn't communicating directly...
    Mmmmm, well, it's been my experience that employees are often hired with specific duties in mind, and interpretation of the barn rules isn't always a duty assigned to maintenance type staff. About the only time it would be OK would be if it were an immediate request on the order of pardon me may I pass by? But personal communications?
    NO WAY. I worked in housekeeping at a very fancy resort hotel long years ago and I had to work around the customers keeping in mind that their experience while at our property took precedence over what was easier for me. I'd have been fired so fast it would have made my head spin if I undertook some form of personal communication with a guest, apart from a note on the order of "here are your extra towels". I feel the same way about maintenance staff in home rentals too.

They call it chain of command in the military.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

5 members found this post helpful.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I'm a boarder now and I've been an employee. Three ways this could have gone.

1) Employee: "Would you mind moving Pookie to the other set of cross ties for a minute so I can wrap up and get out of your way?"

2) Boarder, acknowledging that Pookie's rump is in the way: "Sorry I'm in your way, I'll be out of here in about five minutes."

3) Employee realizes that boarder is using the facilities boarder is paying to use, and waits.

Sounds like your boarder was a little oblivious (and so am I at 9:30 in the morning sometimes, so I'm not judging) and your employee needs to learn how to communicate effectively within the bounds of her relationship to boarders- that being as someone who is hired by a facility for which use the boarders are paying.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG