The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up The Clinic Spin-off: Who have you ridden with, who have you loved?

After reading about the bad clinic thread it got me thinking about the clinics I've done, and how the biggest names are not always the favorites. I'd love to hear about who you've ridden with recently, who was your favorite and why.

For instance, I love riding with Bill Woods. I think he's hilarious and has amazing knowledge. I first met him at a clinic and now lesson with him when possible because I like his teaching style so much. I know his teaching style is not for everyone though.

In the past two years I've been able to ride with
    Jim Graham, Ralph Hill and Jean Moyer. I learned something and had fun with every one of them but Jean was my absolute favorite, so much so that I jumped on the chance to ride with her again.

Her teaching style is no-nonsense without crossing over into the rude. When you are with her, you are working and focused, even if it's just at the walk. If you're walking a lap around the arena, it better be the best most active walk you can produce. The stream of instruction is non-stop and literally she keeps talking till you get the correct response. I've seen her work with riders and horses of every level and everyone seems to end up feeling like a rock star!
    The rebel in the grey shirt

Jane Bartle-Wilson.
    Loved. All things she told me I am using, using, using and that was 3 yrs ago and whats more, I've been listening and watching all the USET clinics and those are things they are being taught by DOC. Same stuff. correct is correct, eh?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

2 members found this post helpful.

Ralph Hill. Enough said. Really gets the horses

1 members found this post helpful.

Peter Atkins and both OC's. Would do again in a heartbeat!

Oh, and Buck Brannaman.
    Last edited by DLee; May. 8, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Not all eventers, but this subject was recently covered here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ghlight=clinic
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Kyle Carter is HILARIOUS and truly amazing to learn from. He is more focused on horse than rider, so the more novice riders may not appreciate him. He does very well with them, they just don't take away as much.

Heather Gillette is one of my favorites to ride with now. She has a great eye on the "whole picture" and a great attitude. We fill her clinics in a matter of a day, usually. Novice riders and UL riders all love her.

I really enjoyed my clinic with Leslie Law and would ride with him again if the opportunity presented it.

Richard Watson (show jumper) is also really amazing. He told me one thing in my one lesson with him that completely changed my outlook on how I ride. It was really groundbreaking for me and he nailed me immediately.

Fabulous eventing clinicians: Becky Holder, Jim Graham, Moray Nicholson
    and a dressage one: Gunnar Ostergaard

I'm analytical, and they have all given me illuminating explanations, great exercises, and let me feel improvements that I could recreate on my own.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I'm old and this will date me - Nancy Hart, Sally O'Connor, Charles DeKumfy and Kevin Freeman. All very good.
    kenyagirl

Jumping with Doug Payne is fun and challenging, and flatting with Mara DePuy is hard work that pays off.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

I got to audit a Becky Holder clinic and loved every minute! She had fantastic exercises and was able to communicate well with all the riders down to a young girl who had never ridden XC before and had just switched to eventing. I hope I can attend a clinic and ride with her someday, though I would be tempted to just audit again-I learned so much!

I would love to attend a Peter Atkins clinic. He seems so genuine and has the best partnership with Henny. I hope I can have that with a horse someday.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

for xc Lucinda Green. I loved Mara DePuy when I took a lesson with her and would again. I also like Leslie Law quite a bit.

I have to say I've never had a truly awful experience or even an unpleasant experience at all. I've always learned something, I've always had a good outcome.

Really, really enjoyed riding with Greg Best. Did a course walk with Kyle Carter that was very informative. And of course JW!

1 members found this post helpful.

Lucinda Green for XC, JW for SJ, and Mara DePuy for dressage.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Eric Horgan, Denny Emerson, Betsy Worthington, Margie Hutchinson, Doug Payne, Timmy Kees, Chris Smith and Bruce Davidson......

Lucinda- loved.
    Joe Fargis- enjoyed and would do again.
    Phillip Dutton- enjoyed. Learned stuff I still think about today.
    Kim Severson- enjoyed.
    Nicola Wilson- LOVED every second of it and learned SO MUCH (or just heard the same things I've heard a million times, just said differently). She was fantastic. Wish I could have done MORE with her.
    Boyd Martin- ugh. No thanks.

I've also taken LESSONS with DOC (enjoyed. Learned a ton each time), Stephen Bradley (love him. Click very well with him), Susan Graham White for dressage (helped a lot with Vernon), Lauren Sprieser for dressage (awesome). I wouldn't hesitate to suggest clinicing with any of them.

Love Leslie Law. Good exercises that challenged and developed horse and rider confidence. Nothing flashy, just a nice solid progression that was incredible to see in many different teams (from green 4 year olds to solid training pairs). Awesome.

I have also audited Ian Roberts who has an impeccable eye for how rider position is affecting the horse. He really focused on the rider (not to the detriment of the horse) and encouraged each person to understand and change how their ride, approach and feel impacts the horse.

Jessica Phoenix - fun, positive clinic that was more focused on the horses (I was also in the green horse group so that might be part of the reason for my experience). Excellent positive and absolutely unflappable energy (even when we accidentally bounced the one stride <oops - he is ginormous with a stride to match>). This clinic was indoor only but she made some fun "crosscountry" exercises out of stadium poles and taught us how to ride corners. Great clinician and an absolutely lovely person. Would love to ride with her again.

For dressage - John MacPherson and Chris Sanders, both who have an impeccable eye for horse and human. They both know how to pick apart a rider and then (this is the hard part many clinicians fail) reconstruct it into something wonderful. I had huge gains in my knowledge, feel and development as a rider from riding with both of them at different points in our "career". LOL If that is what you can call it ;-)

All of the above get my gold stamp of approval in encouraging you to improve but knowing how to make sure that they can build and develop the relationship by imparting confidence instead of nitpicking and deconstructing.

I have taken the most lessons/clinics in the past 3-4 years with Boyd, and there's definitely a reason I keep returning to him.
    For me, he's just the right mix of talk and action; we do discuss things to some extent, but he also has this way of setting up a challenge and having you go do it! I think that this can be unnerving if the rider does not want to try his way of doing things wholeheartedly. But the way I look at it is that if you are going to pay money to have a lesson with someone, you need to go in with an open mind and do what they ask you to do--I think that no matter who you ride with, you are going to come away disappointed if you only try things halfway, because the methods will not work if you pick and choose which pieces you are willing to try.

I will say that one of the things that I really admire about Boyd is how hard he has worked in the last few years to improve his own riding; as a result of all of the great instruction and experience that he has had, I think his own teaching has become much more consistent and insightful. I won't lie, a few years ago I would occasionally have an "off" lesson; in the last year or so, I come away from each session feeling thoroughly challenged, exhausted, and motivated! So I guess I'd recommend anyone who hasn't checked him out recently (or ever!) to watch a lesson and see for yourself

2 members found this post helpful.

I've ridden with Sharon White and Jim Wofford for the last two++ years. They're great. I get the most from Sharon in dressage and jumping, private. She came back from Florida last year with a TON of new ideas.

I can't lesson with them now because I work during the day and weekends are either competitions or Jim and Sharon are off doing clinics or Sharon is competing. I've switched over to Lauren Sprieser for dressage, with our first lesson this Sunday afternoon followed by next week in the evening. Will post next week.

Recently, I've been coming back to sj working with Mike Mendell in Huntly VA. He and Lisa have an amazingly wonderful facility and he has helped us a lot. He is quite a lot like Wofford in what he wants to see and the exercises. Highly recommend!

I'm still looking for a third to augment. Haven't found one yet. Have to be able to do evenings and within one hour of where I live.

A

Quote Originally Posted by SpyglassEventing View Post
    I have taken the most lessons/clinics in the past 3-4 years with Boyd, and there's definitely a reason I keep returning to him.
    For me, he's just the right mix of talk and action; we do discuss things to some extent, but he also has this way of setting up a challenge and having you go do it! I think that this can be unnerving if the rider does not want to try his way of doing things wholeheartedly. But the way I look at it is that if you are going to pay money to have a lesson with someone, you need to go in with an open mind and do what they ask you to do--I think that no matter who you ride with, you are going to come away disappointed if you only try things halfway, because the methods will not work if you pick and choose which pieces you are willing to try.

I will say that one of the things that I really admire about Boyd is how hard he has worked in the last few years to improve his own riding; as a result of all of the great instruction and experience that he has had, I think his own teaching has become much more consistent and insightful. I won't lie, a few years ago I would occasionally have an "off" lesson; in the last year or so, I come away from each session feeling thoroughly challenged, exhausted, and motivated! So I guess I'd recommend anyone who hasn't checked him out recently (or ever!) to watch a lesson and see for yourself
    For the record (because I don't think I was clear), I HAVE ridden with Boyd (you and I shared that session). He and I just don't click, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm a good student and always willing to learn, but I was so frustrated by the end of that ride, as was my very game horse, that I just have no desire to do it again. Boyd's a great rider and good horseman and a super guy, but, as a trainer, FOR ME, nope. I also know others who LESSON with him very regularly who rave about him. And that's fine. That's what works.

This goes back to the original clinic thread....what works well for some doesn't work well for others. As long as you give it the old college try, that's great. Keep your trap shut, pay attention, and TRY. That's the only way to clinic (or LESSON) with anyone.

3 members found this post helpful.

My favorite is Peter Atkins -he really helped me figure out how to ride my pony who is difficult (not temperament but the way he is made and wants to use his body). No one else has been able to help my figure out the little guy so well so I ride with him any chance I can get!