The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Matrix half pads?

Has anyone tried these?
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.

I just bought one because I was interested in trying them with the special pads that connect to the half pad. I havn't had the chance to try the pads together, but I have used the half pad over my normal pads.

It is a little bulky for my taste compared to thinlines or other similar pads. However, I do like the recessed channel as it alleviates the pressure off of the wither really nicely. I am not using any inserts either, but the interchangeable options look interesting. I would wonder how much more bulk they add to the pad though. The pad is stiffer than my Mattes, but actually fits my 17.5" saddle. I use the AP half pad with both my jumping saddle and my dressage saddle, and while I am sure the dressage pad would fit a bit better under the dressage saddle, I have not had any issues with using it for both.

The best thing I have noticed about this pad is that despite the bulk I have not felt like it is overheating my mare's back like our last pad. I am using the coolback though, so I do not know how the sheepskin pad will perform.

Thank Stoney! What do you think of the shape, with the drop in the front compared to most half pads?

Our saddle fitter had one that my husband tried a few days ago and it looked like our horse quite liked it. It was a medium AP, which I was surprised fit his 18.5" xc saddle fine (they must run big). Our horse seemed to really like the orthoipmact inserts. I'd like to order one of these pads but would love to hear first if anyone here has tried the other types of inserts to compare. Our horse liked what we tried, but the pro inserts that I saw at Rolex seem less bulky.

The pad we tried also had the cool max (synthetic) fiber which I wasn't as thrilled with the feel of as the sheepskin, but our fitter said that a study had shown that the synthetic kept their backs just as cool and didn't break down as fast.
    Blacktree Farm
    Lessons, training & sporthorse sales. Proud supporter of our buckskin German Warmblood stallion, Yeager GF.
    Blacktree Studio
    Graphic Design, Web Design & Photography.