The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Large Brimmed Helmets (Speed Air First Lady, Charles Owen SP8, etc)

I hadn't thought of this until someone suggested it, but would you be concerned about neck injuries in the event of a face first fall where the brim hits the ground? I know the brim on the SP8 is fairly flexible and likely more rigid on the First Lady, but I was just curious if anyone else had considered this, or experienced this. Thanks in advance!

The brims on GPAs are a separate attached piece and actually break off fairly easily if you're not careful, so it wouldn't concern me.

1 members found this post helpful.

i have broken the brim off of my GPA easily by holding it by the brim so i wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you both! Any thoughts or experiences with the SP8 brim?

The funny thing is, most folks I know that wear those strange helmets don't actually spend enough time riding in the sun to really need them.... To each his own, I'll keep my sunglasses.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

We fitted a woman for a First Lady who crashed at a show recently. The brim of her helmet actually saved her face. The helmet fit her, didn't move when she fell and hit a pole. It protected her in the manner it was supposed to (thank goodness.) The SP8 will do the same. We sell a ton of both but I can tell you from a firsthand experience that this women fully credits the First Lady with saving her face (she suffered a broken arm, ribs, etc.) I helped her complete the crash report to replace the helmet. She was lucky to have not been more severely hurt. I hope this helps. Good luck!

Thank you, all! I fell off in March and ended up with a mild concussion. I used the online claim form, which was very user friendly, and I was approved for a new helmet the following Monday (I fell on a Friday). I finally had the money to order a replacement helmet and I just to it in the mail today. I got an SP8 to replace the AYR8 I fell in. I find the large brim to be very flattering and I like the improvements to the ventilation and the liner. I just had someone mention that they'd be concerned about a neck impact injury in the event of a face first fall, which I hadn't considered. I've never ridden with sunglasses and tend to sweat a lot in hot weather, so I preferred to try the larger brim for my next helmet.

I picked the First Lady over my previous Speed Air simply because the wide brim was flattering on me, not because I spend a lot of time in the sun. Although admittedly it is nice to have in the summer, I would not have picked it on that quality alone.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I like the idea of the larger brim for shading, but I do find it flattering as well. I decided try it to do something different. I like to try new equipment.

Okay, I found something I don't like about the SP8. It doesn't fit in the Charles Owen drawstring helmet bag it came with, or my other helmet bag. They're both way too snug over the brim. Any suggestions on one that might work?

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I picked the First Lady over my previous Speed Air simply because the wide brim was flattering on me, not because I spend a lot of time in the sun. Although admittedly it is nice to have in the summer, I would not have picked it on that quality alone.
    I've heard that these helmets are either very flattering or very UNflattering... I ususally order my helmets online- but I guess I'll have to go to the tack store to try it on...
    Is the SP8 more/less flattering than the First Lady?

I hate the way charles owens fit on me so I haven't seen the SP8 on, but I personally don't like they way it looks because it seems a little more angular than the First Lady.
    First Ladies either look really good on you or make you look awful. I find it looks good on a rounder face like mine, and some people just look strange in it. This is what it looks like on me. http://distilleryimage9.s3.amazonaws...0aaa21ed_7.jpg
    Sorry that it's such a poor selfie image, it's the only picture I have of it.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Does anyone know if IRH or any of the less-expensive helmet brands make a helmet with a wider brim? Can't justify the price of the SP8, but love the idea of a wider brim as my eyes are very sensitive to the sun and any protection sounds good. The attachable sun visors always seem a bit unweildly to me...

This is a lousy selfie I took in the SP8. Charles Owen helmets fit me better than the GPAs. I agree it is more angular, but I don't find it to be completely hideous. Though I do realize that someone else may have a different opinion.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...psbc7a190d.jpg

Thanks for side view. I'm sold!

So greatful to get to ride!