The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by exploding pony View Post
    Here's my thoughts on this - why take a risk? Just wear a white or light shirt solid colored shirt.

My other thought - it seems like coats are always being waved as I am warming up. How do you go change your shirt? I just wear whatever I had on under my coat which is a white short sleeved shirt, and pull off my stock tie. I wouldn't have a whole other top to change into.
    Why would someone need to change their shirt? If what you're wearing under your jacket is legal, you are good to go.

There should be no risk involved wearing a garment or using equipment that is defined as legal in the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

1 members found this post helpful.

When the rules are unclear, then there is a greater opportunity for an officious judge or TD to eliminate you. I have been eliminated for a clothing issue before. It's $300 to file a complaint, even if you think you read the rule right. I would think the bigger shows, particularly Regionals might be more picky, at least in my experience.

Unclear definitions in this case:
    What is "decoration?"
    What is "conservative?"

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Why would someone need to change their shirt? If what you're wearing under your jacket is legal, you are good to go..
    Because what a lot of people wear under their jacket s NOT legal by itself - no sleeves, decoration, etc.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by narcisco View Post

Unclear definitions in this case:
    What is "decoration?"
    What is "conservative?"
    Where is "conservative" in the rule in reference to shirt color? I'm leaning towards just going with white because it seems to be more trouble than it's worth if there's a risk of being questioned on it, but I think the TD's and judges should know the rules so that this isn't an issue. Are there THAT many rule changes every year that they can't keep up with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Because what a lot of people wear under their jacket s NOT legal by itself - no sleeves, decoration, etc.
    Agreed. I've been known to show in a tank top since my stock fills the gap in the collar quite nicely, and for whatever reason, coats weren't waived...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by exploding pony View Post
    Here's my thoughts on this - why take a risk? Just wear a white or light shirt solid colored shirt.

My other thought - it seems like coats are always being waved as I am warming up. How do you go change your shirt? I just wear whatever I had on under my coat which is a white short sleeved shirt, and pull off my stock tie. I wouldn't have a whole other top to change into.
    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    Why would someone need to change their shirt? If what you're wearing under your jacket is legal, you are good to go.

There should be no risk involved wearing a garment or using equipment that is defined as legal in the rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    Then, jackets being waived is an issue they've always had to deal with. But the person who raised the question made it clear that she wears a legal shirt under her jacket. I don't understand why she thinks she might need a different top to change into. Or am I misunderstanding?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQNutter
    The whip is held across your thigh so as you can still hold the reins without spilling your coffee!!
    SillyHorse adds: Or your wine.

I guess we'll need to have some show reports to see what's happening out there

Last year at recognized shows, I rode in a solid navy polo shirt when coats were waived. No marshmallow look & the conservative color scheme was the same as if I'd been wearing my (navy) coat.
    Last edited by vagabondrider; May. 10, 2013 at 07:00 PM.

I think black or navy would be perfectly nice, conservative color choices that would look better than white, especially if you're in white breeches!

Maybe I'll go wild and wear a pale aqua shirt this weekend at the schooling show we're going to. We're doing the eventing tests anyway, they won't be shocked if we look a little crazy too!