The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Dress Rules 4/1/13 - ANY color shirt ok? Patterns ok?

I'm still shopping for my show attire.. Am I reading the new rule correctly - that shirt color is no longer limited to whatever color scale and the words "solid or nearly solid" have been removed from the rule?

DR 120 - 8. In locations with high average heat and humidity on the date of a competition,
    management can publish in their prize list that jackets will be waived for the duration
    of the competition. Alternatively, management can announce prior to or
    during a competition that competitors can show without jackets when extreme
    heat and/or humidity is forecast. This waiver applies to all classes including FEI
    classes at National Competitions. However, competitors must wear protective headgear
    and a shirt with sleeves and collar, without neckwear, and without decoration
    except as described under .14 below. T-shirts are not permitted. Members of the
    Armed Services or police units may wear summer uniforms. BOD 1/19/13 Effective
    4/1/13.

"However, competitors must wear protective headgear
    and a shirt with sleeves and collar, without neckwear, and without decorationexcept as described under .14 below."

You must have a shirt with collar (the Kerrits Ventilator shirts can be worn, unzipped, to form the 'collar'), don't wear your stock tie and the shirt can NOT have decoration, which means no patterns (boo - hiss!).

Be careful on color. Even though you can read this rule and interpret it to say that any colors are okay...and some of the tack shops will tell you that bright, neon orange Gersemi top is just fine if coats are waived....judges have the authority to call you out on it. Wouldn't want you to be eliminated for a colored shirt. Think conservative when it comes to color...i.e. pastels or white.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

Hi Heather!
    Patterns are "decoration"? Well, what about the piping that everyone seems to have (and I have seen at shows)? What about those colored panels on the sides?

(I know you are studying up on this, so you are a good person to ask!)

I showed the very last weekend in March-the 30th/31st maybe? It was over 92 degrees and coats were waived. The TD at the show very kindly told me that shirts could not have decoration at all. (Especially not the cute white shirt I had with the purple diagonal stripe.). We didn't discuss pastels, but I don't remember seeing anyone in anything but all white. She said that the panels were considered decoration.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    Hi Heather!
    Patterns are "decoration"? Well, what about the piping that everyone seems to have (and I have seen at shows)? What about those colored panels on the sides?

(I know you are studying up on this, so you are a good person to ask!)
    We had an INDEPTH discussion about this during the L program the other week. Anything that is NOT solid is considered a decoration. Any color that is over the 'pastel' category - you are wearing at your own risk (have that white shirt tucked away to put on immediately if you are called out on it).

The riders you have seen with piping, panels, 'decoration' (I saw a rider that had on a polo that had a large navy blue stripe down the diagonal - was a Pikeur shirt)...if the TD or Judge calls you on it - you have to either change or be eliminated. Some judges and TDs are more lax than others.

Believe me - I wish we could wear 'patterns' on our shirt. It takes your eyes off of my rotund backside when wearing the lovely WHITE breeches...hahaha.
    Heather
    Green Cove Springs, FL

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    I showed the very last weekend in March-the 30th/31st maybe? It was over 92 degrees and coats were waived. The TD at the show very kindly told me that shirts could not have decoration at all. (Especially not the cute white shirt I had with the purple diagonal stripe.). We didn't discuss pastels, but I don't remember seeing anyone in anything but all white. She said that the panels were considered decoration.
    Boooooooo!!!

I have shown in the shirts with colored panels on the sides multiple times, and have asked TD's who have all said they were fine.

Quote Originally Posted by rprincess73 View Post
    We had an INDEPTH discussion about this during the L program the other week. Anything that is NOT solid is considered a decoration. Any color that is over the 'pastel' category - you are wearing at your own risk (have that white shirt tucked away to put on immediately if you are called out on it).

The riders you have seen with piping, panels, 'decoration' (I saw a rider that had on a polo that had a large navy blue stripe down the diagonal - was a Pikeur shirt)...if the TD or Judge calls you on it - you have to either change or be eliminated. Some judges and TDs are more lax than others.

Believe me - I wish we could wear 'patterns' on our shirt. It takes your eyes off of my rotund backside when wearing the lovely WHITE breeches...hahaha.
    Boo again, but very helpful! Thank you!!

[QUOT She said that the panels were considered decoration.[/QUOTE]

sigh.....

Quote Originally Posted by rprincess73 View Post
    Risk of what, exactly? If the rule no longer says white/light colored shirts, what rule is the judge/TD going to use to call the rider out and eliminate them?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt Near X View Post
    Risk of what, exactly? If the rule no longer says white/light colored shirts, what rule is the judge/TD going to use to call the rider out and eliminate them?
    This.

In my opinion I should be able to dress like Big Bird and receive the exact same score as if I were wearing the traditional black-and-white because all that should be being judged is the dressage, but seriously, if you can be eliminated for something that isn't actually prohibited or even mentioned in the rules, then it might be a good idea if they added some more clarity to the writing. Otherwise everything becomes a matter of subjectivity, and that's not fair to anybody. It's not fair to riders, and it's also not fair to TDs and judges to put the responsibility on them to come up with their own interpretation of a dress code (let alone try to draw the line between "pastel" and "not pastel") when they have so much else to be thinking about.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, Right Horse I was considering the white with the colored side panels, but am going to go with the plain white.

I used pastel-colored polo shirts when jackets are waived. Never had an issue. That said, I wouldn't go crazy personally, because I don't feel like having my warm-up interupted to explain to the steward or TD that the rule has now changed and my dark shirt is ok.

OK. Need to show and be judged just like a reality show called "The Ride". No judging the horse breed or the rider's attire, just The Ride. Heh.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

You may wear any solid color shirt, period. Beyond that, I don't know. It's a sad state of affairs when we think we risk being eliminated by judges and/or TDs who we fear may not know or understand the rules. If the rules were written more clearly, they'd be easier to follow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

2 members found this post helpful.

Know your rules - you can always ask a TD to get a ruling from USEF - wearing a pink shirt is NO basis for elimination. Wearing stripes, your barn name emblazoned on the back, is basis for elimination. When in doubt, get your own USEF opinion in advance and bring it with you to the show!

Here's my thoughts on this - why take a risk? Just wear a white or light shirt solid colored shirt.

My other thought - it seems like coats are always being waved as I am warming up. How do you go change your shirt? I just wear whatever I had on under my coat which is a white short sleeved shirt, and pull off my stock tie. I wouldn't have a whole other top to change into.

Has anyone seen the new vests at the shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesmom View Post
    Has anyone seen the new vests at the shows?
    The vest rule isn't as new. I showed last year in a navy blue vest, no one made a comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by exploding pony View Post
    Here's my thoughts on this - why take a risk? Just wear a white or light shirt solid colored shirt.
    Again, what risk? Judges and TDs don't get to eliminate you for doing something within the rules. And so far, no one has been able to point to a current rule that still limits shirts to white/pastel colors.

If people are afraid the judges/TDs might not be up to date on the rules -- SillyHorse is right. That's just a sad state of affairs all around.