The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Diet Additives

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if anybody had some tips/ ideas on diet additives? i.e. I have heard that people feed their horses garlic so that they sweat it out and the flies stay away, corn/ vegetable oil for weight gain, etc. Basically just anything at-home or self-made using herbs/ vitamins/ oils, dosage amounts, and cautions.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by djesn View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering if anybody had some tips/ ideas on diet additives? i.e. I have heard that people feed their horses garlic so that they sweat it out and the flies stay away, corn/ vegetable oil for weight gain, etc. Basically just anything at-home or self-made using herbs/ vitamins/ oils, dosage amounts, and cautions.

Thank you!
    Is there a problem? IF there is a problem (and only if) you can address it by many means--feeding, management, veterinary. If there's NO problem don't go treating something that isn't there. If your horse is a hard keeper, NO supplement or additive can come close to replacing good quality, free-choice hay.

Be careful with garlic; new studies have shown it can cause or mimic anemia. A better choice might be a fly sheet, night turnout, and use of Spalding Fly Predators. Farnam's Original Wipe still works great too.