The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another "What is this?" question

The other day I found two hard crusty knots in my horse's mane: kinda grainy scab(s) that made a ball about the size of a large pea or small grape. Underneath was a circular surface sore. I've seen these before in manes/forelocks, but not in a while and I still don't know what they are or what I should do with them. Any ideas? Are they a problem? Sorry I didn't think to take a picture. Thanks!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Probably a tick was there.

Yep, they sound like a tick bites.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yep tick bites, check the tail bone as well. Applying a fly spray with permethrin in it will keep the ticks away.

Oh, joy. The last thing this horse needs is Lyme disease. Hmmmm...just looked up horse tick bites, though, and they don't look quite right.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

But I will check his tailbone tonight and look into a new fly spray. Thanks!

Sounds like tick bites to me, too. Since the bugs are coming back out just make sure you check. It's quite frightening how many things you'll find on your horse after a hack in the woods. I once went on a little walk in the woods for about 10 minutes. I had 2 ticks on my and my mare had 6 on her. Needless to say, I don't go into the woods anymore!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011