The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Old Long Format Speed and Distances

Does anyone know what the speed and distances were for phase A-D in the old FEI long format 1*-4*...before the switch over to all short format?

Also, anyone have info on how the really old events were run..say in the 1920-1940's. Seems like there was some grueling events.

Just curious!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbells View Post
    Does anyone know what the speed and distances were for phase A-D in the old FEI long format 1*-4*...before the switch over to all short format?

Also, anyone have info on how the really old events were run..say in the 1920-1940's. Seems like there was some grueling events.

Just curious!
    You have to remember that in days of yore, there were no civilian events. It was all cavalry, so the cross country would have been set up to mimic the questions that the cavalry would have been likely to face. Parenthetically, all of the horse mounted services in the United States required their officers to foxhunt, and quite a few of the cavalry forts sponsored their own hunts. I had a friend who was a mounted artillery officer, and he was required to foxhunt even when he was in the reserves in New Jersey. He also foxhunted during WWII at Fort Leavenworth (I think was Leavenworth).

So one would assume that the sort of XC in eventing in those days was somewhat similar to foxhunting, with the special kinds of fences that were prevalent in the various countries. There is a clip on youtube of some of the XC in the 1936 Olympics.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

In the 20's to the 40's, it was strictly a military competition.

AFAIK, the only International competiton was the Olympics, and the there was NO civilain competiton at all.

The first non-Olympic competition was Badminton HT, in 1949. Burghley HT started in 1961 .
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

I know it's *just* wikipedia, but there's some interesting info there. ie: Olympics: From 1924 til 1967, there was a 2km gallop as Phase E after XC. Cross country day in 1924 was A = 7km @ 240mpm.... B = 4km @ 550-600mpm... C = 15km @ 240mpm.... D = 8km @ 450mpm.... E = 2km @ 333mpm. Total time = 2 hours, 1 minute, 47 seconds. much longer than in the 90s when I started, but also slower (except A and C). And more in line with what I remember someone posting somewhere not too long ago. I want to say it was either mid-30s or mid-50s breakdown of the time on XC day vs. Athens olympics. Really sad IMHO that we've taken that element away from the sport.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike