The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I'm a Custom Saddlery fan but can't find the saddle I *think* I want "used", can I...

get some suggestions?? Pretty please? I'm primarily a dressage rider but have a 3 year old large pony prospect that I need a jumping saddle for since his back is WAAAAY too short for a dressage saddle and I *think* he's gonna be a great h/j or maybe even an eventer. My Custom Saddlery rep recommended the Monte Carlo because it's similar to an English made saddle I ride him in now. BUT I canNOT find one used, and I'm wondering what other brands I might try....??? I want a saddle that has some, ahem, substance to it, is comfortable and most of all fits the WIDE back on this little guy. Suggestions? TIA! ;-)

I saw one on Shedrick Custom Saddlery on Facebook a while ago, so you might try searching there. You might look at the Detente saddles which are english made or a used Albion Kontrol or used Jeffries Flyover. Frank Baines is another thought. I think their dressage saddles may work on a short backed horse. Something like this one could also be a possible http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...nquest-17-5-w/

Some people swear by Schleese, especially the Wave for this type of horse and others like the Amerigo, particularly the DJ jumping for the short back.

Good luck
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by scubed View Post
    I saw one on Shedrick Custom Saddlery on Facebook a while ago, so you might try searching there. You might look at the Detente saddles which are english made or a used Albion Kontrol or used Jeffries Flyover. Frank Baines is another thought. I think their dressage saddles may work on a short backed horse. Something like this one could also be a possible http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/dem...nquest-17-5-w/

Some people swear by Schleese, especially the Wave for this type of horse and others like the Amerigo, particularly the DJ jumping for the short back.

Good luck
    VERY helpful post, thanks so much!!!

I just want to see a picture of the pony!
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Check with Lesley - she has a wide variety of custom saddles (new and used) in stock:
    http://www.thesaddledoctor.ca/used-saddles.php

She also did a wonderful doing a long distance fitting for me. Very nice person that was easy to work with despite the time difference.

What size seat do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    get some suggestions?? Pretty please? I'm primarily a dressage rider but have a 3 year old large pony prospect that I need a jumping saddle for since his back is WAAAAY too short for a dressage saddle and I *think* he's gonna be a great h/j or maybe even an eventer. My Custom Saddlery rep recommended the Monte Carlo because it's similar to an English made saddle I ride him in now. BUT I canNOT find one used, and I'm wondering what other brands I might try....??? I want a saddle that has some, ahem, substance to it, is comfortable and most of all fits the WIDE back on this little guy. Suggestions? TIA! ;-)
    You might check with Smith Worthington, they still have some very good deals in the 1K range (adjustable wood/steel tree with wool flocked panels, & SW will adjust saddle to fit your horse before sending it out - based upon tracings if you're distance shopping); you could have blocks added for very little extra ...

I'm a little confused about the back length issue: FP (Welsh Cob) did very well in an '86 16 1/2" County Competitor, I didn't notice that the 16" jump saddles were any "shorter" with regards the back.
    (in contrast every Stubben was too curvy & too long)
    Before he outgrew them, he was started in an old Collegiate (RD made), then graduated to an old Tudor (think Crosby pdn style); the County Comp worked the best re the wool panels, he's now in a Stabilizer (with Conquest flaps). Note at 3 he was a County M tree, at 5 a W tree, very few saddles fit wide enough through the shoulder even when he was 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Mickey View Post
    I just want to see a picture of the pony!
    Haha, that's awesome!! He is pretty darn cute, but I don't have the ability to post pix on this site...:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse&Bay View Post
    Check with Lesley - she has a wide variety of custom saddles (new and used) in stock:
    http://www.thesaddledoctor.ca/used-saddles.php

She also did a wonderful doing a long distance fitting for me. Very nice person that was easy to work with despite the time difference.
    Will do, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by datdog View Post
    What size seat do you need?
    17"

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    You might check with Smith Worthington, they still have some very good deals in the 1K range (adjustable wood/steel tree with wool flocked panels, & SW will adjust saddle to fit your horse before sending it out - based upon tracings if you're distance shopping); you could have blocks added for very little extra ...

I'm a little confused about the back length issue: FP (Welsh Cob) did very well in an '86 16 1/2" County Competitor, I didn't notice that the 16" jump saddles were any "shorter" with regards the back.
    (in contrast every Stubben was too curvy & too long)
    Before he outgrew them, he was started in an old Collegiate (RD made), then graduated to an old Tudor (think Crosby pdn style); the County Comp worked the best re the wool panels, he's now in a Stabilizer (with Conquest flaps). Note at 3 he was a County M tree, at 5 a W tree, very few saddles fit wide enough through the shoulder even when he was 3.
    You'd have to see his back to appreciate what I'm talking about. My Custom Victory and Advantage (dressage) are WAY too long for his back, end up on his loins. I also tried a couple other models that were 17", didn't work. I also tried a couple older Passiers that didn't work either. Fitter didn't really believe me either....until she came out to see him. She recommended a jumping saddle not larger than a 17", believe me, if I could squeeze myself into a kid's pony saddle, I would, but that's not gonna happen! ;-)

Haha, that's awesome!! He is pretty darn cute, but I don't have the ability to post pix on this site...:-(

Will do, thanks!

17"

You'd have to see his back to appreciate what I'm talking about. My Custom Victory and Advantage (dressage) are WAY too long for his back, end up on his loins. I also tried a couple other models that were 17", didn't work. I also tried a couple older Passiers that didn't work either. Fitter didn't really believe me either....until she came out to see him. She recommended a jumping saddle not larger than a 17", believe me, if I could squeeze myself into a kid's pony saddle, I would, but that's not gonna happen! ;-)

You might want to talk to Cardanel. They are supposedly excellent at fitting short backs and I am thinking about talking to them about saddles for my small OTTB once he outgrows my current models.

I ride in a Monte Carlo jump saddle and a Wolfgang Solo dressage saddle - the jump saddle was used and the dressage saddle was a demo. My Custom Saddlery fitter is coming out tomorrow to tweak the saddles' fit for my OTTB AND check how the Monte Carlo works on my new pony - Merlin doesn't have a particularly short back but is only 14.3...the dressage saddle is a bit too long for his back but the jump saddle is great (though I have to use my Mattes pad with it). I'll ask Nancy if she knows about any used Monte Carlos in a wide tree...
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

1 members found this post helpful.