The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default IF I like this saddle, but can't find one used, what other brands might I like....??

OK so I have a Euroriding Diamant that a very WIDE large pony of mine has, ahem, outgrown and my Custom Saddlery rep recommended that I try to find a used Monte Carlo which looks very similar in style. However, as Kate Wooten put it, "those are as rare as hen's teeth". So...given the fact that I'm not willing to buy new or go totally custom on a 3 yr old's saddle, what other brands/styles might I investigate? I do like a saddle with some substance to it....TIA!!!
    Last edited by Dune; May. 8, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

I would suggest posting in the Dressage Forum if you're looking for a dressage saddle.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    I would suggest posting in the Dressage Forum if you're looking for a dressage saddle.
    Sorry I wasn't more clear, while I primarily ride dressage, I do want a jumping saddle for this little guy as I *think* he's going to go the hunter or eventer route. I just didn't want someone to recommend something w/o some substance to it.

You might try Patricia at yoursaddles.com. She's in San Diego Co., and if you let her know what you're looking for, she might be able to help.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay I get you, I would personally look for a used saddle in a wide tree. I'm not familiar with any of those brands so it would be easier with a picture of the pony. And I'm not really sure what you mean by substance, do you want we'll padded or a longer flap?

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    You might try Patricia at yoursaddles.com. She's in San Diego Co., and if you let her know what you're looking for, she might be able to help.
    Thanks, will do!!

Okay I get you, I would personally look for a used saddle in a wide tree. I'm not familiar with any of those brands so it would be easier with a picture of the pony. And I'm not really sure what you mean by substance, do you want we'll padded or a longer flap?
    Well, yeah, used saddle in wide tree is exactly what I'm looking for, lol! It's just that I'm not familar with the current brands/styles. And yes, I'd like something fairly well padded/comfy, although I'm thinking the super flat, no knee roll saddles I had as a junior rider are a thing of the past now anyway....?? A longer flap would be a bonus, but not necessary, pony needs to be comfortable....my first priority. TIA!

Depending on your price range, you'd be best looking at used Devoucouxs, CWDs, and Antares.

1 members found this post helpful.

Depending on your price range, you'd be best looking at used Devoucouxs, CWDs, and Antares.
    Thanks for your fast response, and don't shoot me, but I left one more thing out (sorry!). So that my fitter can work on it, she recommended the saddle I find (if it's not a Custom) already be a "wide" (duh) and that it is WOOL flocked.

The Smith Worthington line is around $1400 and you can get customized to your horse, Black Country, Frank Baines, County etc. are other options

Just depends on your horses back shape and your price range.

May I gently suggest that you're asking the wrong question. The question is not "Which saddle?" The question is "Which knowledgeable person to call who might point me to the right saddle in the very tricky saddle fitting situation that I'm describing in my various threads":

--*very* short-backed pony. VERY. Not all brands play this game well.

--a rider who probably would benefit from a 17.5" or larger seat, but you're trying to work with the pony's back so you're needing to stuff yourself into something smaller like 17".

--a rider who claims to want a lock-and-load, secure saddle. To understand why this is a special challenge, consider the three or four ways you can make room for a rider in a saddle seat:
    a. Go to a bigger seat size (not an option for you)
    b. Go for a more shallow seat architecture (you claim not to want this)
    c. Push the flap more forward than usual, which in many brands will necessitate ordering new from the factory--and if you're not careful, the rider's relationship with the stirrup bar can become very wonky, necessitating the advice and forethought of a good saddle fitter who can look at your body (in pictures, at the very least) and brainstorm which saddles are less likely to do this to you. So if you want a prayer of finding this used, and a prayer of making an educated choice among those choices, you'd need good advice from whomever's on the other end.
    d. choose saddles whose overall seat architectures maximize room for the rider for the rider's pelvis. This comes in lots of forms, but as a simple example, saddles with cutback pommels make room for the withers but also rob you of 1/2"-1" of room for the rider's pelvis.

--wool flocking, which conveniently knocks out about half the brands on the market. Consider this a blessing, not a curse!

--I assume you prefer something available for a trial ride/a lookover by your local saddle fitter, which eliminates some of the Hail-Mary options like ordering a new saddle sight-unseen from a joint like Heritage Saddlery in the UK or Berney Brothers in Ireland.

--available in the United States, which makes The Saddle Doctor (in British Columbia) a dicey suggestion.

--Your budget remains unclear, but if you were prepared to shell out for a used Custom Monte Carlo, I'm going to assume we're talking somewhere between $2500 and $3200.

So if THAT's the situation, what you're really needing are recommendations for fitters who can work at a distance, fit the sort of pony you're describing, and have a meaningful dialogue with your local fitter. It also sounds like you don't know quite what you want, so in a perfect world, you could find someone who could send you 2-3 good candidates from several different brands.

And from all of THAT, I would extrapolate that these are good folks for you to consider calling because they're good fitters who rep for multiple brands that might have possibilities and are willing to work form a distance.

Ann at Equestrian Imports - www.equestrianimports.com - reps for Albion, Amerigo, and Prestige (which makes several wool-flocked products that might interest you)

Annette Gavin at AllEnglishTack.com - reps for a variety of British wool-flocked brands, including Hastilow, Black Country, Ideal, and Kent and Masters

Colleen Meyer at advancedsaddlefit.com - reps for Detente and often carries some of the smaller cottage British brands like Adam Ellis and Patrick Saddlery, and someone who liked the Custom Monte Carlo might also be interested in the new $2500 Fairfax Close Contact saddle that Colleen is repping for

Now let me be clear before I continue this list: it would surprise the HELL out of me if you worked with all three of the ladies I just listed and didn't manage to identify a great candidate among them. But again, this is assuming you have $2500+ to spend, and it doesn't hurt to drop too many names, right? These saddlers are very good too, and the more people you call, the more likely you are to find some excellent deal on a demo-condition or used saddle:

Patty Merli Saddles, www.pattymerlisaddles.com - specializes in Black Country but also carries some other stuff like Bliss/Loxley

Kitt Hazelton, www.pantherrunsaddlery.com - reps for Albion and Bliss/Loxley (note: you may also have a local Albion rep, but I don't know what part of the country you're in, so...)

Pick the Frank Baines stockist of your choice. I like Bill Wood, personally, but he can be tough to get because he's got such a thriving in-person business. I think it's a major pity that Baines isn't better represented in the US; IMHO they are building some of the best tack coming out of Walsall, England, and it's a shame that they're not better known. http://www.frankbaines.com/page.asp?...&Our-Stockists

At your discretion, call your local County saddle rep. I have three or four reasons for putting this way at the bottom of your list--their products tend to be priced high (like Custom Saddlery in that regard), and your experience will only be as good as your rep and those vary pretty wildly in quality. And nothing comes to mind particularly from their lineup that screams "Yeah, that might work really well for an itty bitty pony and a rider who needs a forward flap." A lot of their saddles do one or the other of those things, but not both. But of course, without knowing a lot more about the pony and you, I am just guessing. So it's an option worth mentioning.
    Last edited by jn4jenny; May. 9, 2013 at 04:11 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Great Website! Thanks much for bringing this to our attention Bristol Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapoze View Post
    Great Website! Thanks much for bringing this to our attention Bristol Bay!
    I've been flogging this site for ages, she brings some very nice saddles through at very nice prices

Dune I posted on your other version of this thread, but I'd be very surprised if this 3yr old remains a "wide" long enough for you to really get value out of a 2.5-3K saddle (& a small wide saddle is not going to fly out the resale window); if you have a dressage saddle that fits, why do you need a jump saddle - unless you're going to take this young horse over 3 feet, you can safely do that in your dressage saddle (I'm assuming that you're a pretty decent rider with good balance & fit legs): just think of jumping as dressage over fences
    FP does have both a jump & dressage saddle now but that was done for both the (developing) rider & the horse - of course in retrospect, the damn horse loves the Stabilizer so much, I wish we'd just gone with that 1st & not bothered with a dressage for another year (though saddle prices are just going up so, who knows, maybe it all works out the same) ...

As an example, FP at 3 really needed that 16" saddle re back length, at 5 we could easly go 17" in the jump & 17 1/2 in the dressage (actually did 16 1/2 & 17 respectively as both saddles worked better for the rider in these seat sizes - in those particular models).

From my experience with FP, no way are Dev, CWD or Antares going to have a wide enough tree to fit your boy with "room to grow" - I looked at these as there are a lot on the used market BUT not once you need that w.i.d.e tree, especially if shoulder width is part of the equation.
    A local fitter did do an awesome job of switching a CWD over to wool but I've not asked her the cost.

Of course now I really want to see a picture of this boy

PS as always jn4jenny laid it all out so succinctly
    Last edited by alto; May. 9, 2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

alto makes a good point about budget and the pony's age. Without seeing the pony, we're all just guessing...but let's just say I wouldn't personally be shelling out more than about $2500 for Baby's First Saddle, and even at that price, I'd be wanting something where I had a good chance of getting most of my money back. If you can spend less than that, or buy something with very high resale potential, then all the better. Unfortunately, it's impossible to recommend such saddles--or the people who might sell them to you--without knowing more about the pony and you.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Try a CWD pro-fit. Mine fits everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Try a CWD pro-fit. Mine fits everything.
    I guarantee you that the CWD (regular) tree opened to it's widest possible (by CWD) was substantially too narrow for my boy that goes in a County W tree ...
    CWD did state they could source a wide tree but had none available to demo.

If you need a wide saddle that is not to expensive try a Duett.. Might suit your needs now or try a Faifax with a changeable gullet system.. Hard to buy for a three year old that is for sue. Good luck
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

You can also take a look at www.trumbullmtn.com. We have many used/demo saddles as well as new stock and we are accustomed to working with tracings from all over and suggesting saddles. We have directions for taking the tracings on our site as well as what conformation shots we would like to see and a questionnaire should you want some help in your saddle search.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird660 View Post
    You can also take a look at www.trumbullmtn.com. We have many used/demo saddles as well as new stock and we are accustomed to working with tracings from all over and suggesting saddles. We have directions for taking the tracings on our site as well as what conformation shots we would like to see and a questionnaire should you want some help in your saddle search.
    I took a quick look but didn't see any 16 or 16 1/2 W or XW, in stock jump saddles - did I miss? are you able to bring in non-stock sizes for demo without requiring the client to pre-buy?

Back when I was saddle hunting, none of the local shops carried any new saddles in anything resembling a 16 - 16 1/2 with a wide tree, they all offered to order in whatever I'd like BUT sale would be final as it was not part of their "regular stock"

I'd suggest looking at amerigo saddles. I once had a QH pony with a practically flat back that my amerigo fit perfectly.