The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not an abscess... so what else could it be??!

17 year old gelding with pretty bad ringbone in both front pasterns came up very, very lame in RF two and a half weeks ago. Vet came out, blocked low in his foot (was sound), poked around and said it was corruption in the hoof wall and to have my trimmer come fix that up. Trimmer came out, couldn't find anything to indicate an abscess or anything that explained the lameness.

He has elevated pulses but is not very reactive to hoof testers (slightly, but not as sensitive as he should be for this kind of lameness). Not really suspicious of the ringbone because of how low he was blocked, and because of the sudden onset/severity - his ringbone is usually a totally different type of lameness than what I'm seeing here. Scheduling xrays next week, but in the meantime, what else can cause really bad foot pain?

Well, since you asked...I have had a horse go very lame and block to the foot with a collateral ligament injury, and with a deep digital flexor tendon injury. The former we could see on ultrasound; the latter only on MRI (although you can see some of the DDFT on ultrasound, so it depends on location).
    If it's really not an abscess type thing I would be prepared at a minimum to ultrasound and not just xray...
    Good luck and jingles that it's an abscess after all...
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Everything I have read recently has said that blocking solely the hoof is very difficult. It used to be that we thought we could block just the heels. It seems that even a "good" PD block often migrates much further afield. I would guess that at minimum, the horse's pastern was also numb.
    I'd be suspicious of something upsetting the ringbone and making him lame. Could be as innocuous as just stepping wrong and getting it inflamed, or as bad as breaking off some of the ossification, or injuring a ligament that is impinged upon.
    OR it could be unrelated.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Keebler had a DDFT/navicular bursa tear that blocked down to the heel. Lots of moving parts in there . . .
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Keebler had a DDFT/navicular bursa tear that blocked down to the heel. Lots of moving parts in there . . .
    How (did?) it heal?

Have you ever looked at the diagram of all the tendons and ligaments in a foot? Very complex in there and a lot to go wrong. Mine blocks to show foot pain, nothing obvious on xrays. He is going in for MRI on Monday. Only way to get good diagnosis IMO.
    friend of bar.ka

How much is an MRI for a horse? Ballpark?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Bigger footed horses don't always react as much as you would expect to hoof testers. Whatever is causing the lameness, it would probably be a good idea to at least soak the foot a few times a day for a few days.

What is corruption of the hoof wall? It sounds like a term your vet made up.
    Eric Russell CJF

My horse is on stall rest for a P3 fracture of his coffin bone that we initially thought was an abscess and looked alot like your issue.

Came on suddenly after he ripped his shoe off in his stall. First only off at the trot. Presented as an abscess, sudden lameness with a strong digital pulse. Was not reactive to hoof testers but he did eventually blow an abscess out in the frog groove.
    Farrier put shoe back on, head bobbing at the walk.

Vet found the abnormal spot on the wing of his coffin bone with x-rays.
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

DDFT tear
    collateral ligament tear
    Stone Bruise
    bruised coffin bone
    fractured coffin bone
    Laminitis (if it is bilateral)

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    How much is an MRI for a horse? Ballpark?
    I think most of the people I know who've had a MRI done on one hoof/leg of their horse around here have paid $1200-$1500 or so.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by Pippigirl View Post
    How (did?) it heal?
    Surgery and 9 months of slow rehab. He's fine. He was diagnosed by MRI.

Long discussions on my blog from July-September 2010 www.hearthorse.blogspot.com
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by eruss View Post
    Bigger footed horses don't always react as much as you would expect to hoof testers. Whatever is causing the lameness, it would probably be a good idea to at least soak the foot a few times a day for a few days.

What is corruption of the hoof wall? It sounds like a term your vet made up.
    This happened to my horse. The hoof test was inconclusive. The vet had blocked the foot so he knew the pain was coming from there, but he advised me to wait a week before doing the xray because he suspected it was an abscess. In fact, the abscess erupted about five days later.

I just did an MRI and it was $1000 for the MRI and $700 for the consult. Thank goodness for insurance!