The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charlottesville, VA - eventing barn with a strong grounding in dressage?

Hi everyone,

I'm living in Aiken right now, but am moving to Charlottesville, VA in August to begin my MBA at Darden (UVA). I'll be bringing my 4 yo warmblood gelding with me and am trying to find the right barn for him.

I feel very strongly that I would like him to have a solid grounding in dressage before focusing on jumping. He's the kind of mind that would be able to sort of skate through a jumping program successfully without ever really learning the basics, and I want to avoid that at all costs. He's a big boy (17.2 and not yet 4) and he is EXTREMELY smart and will constantly test boundaries, so he needs a trainer and barn that can enforce boundaries but that won't crush his spirit.

I'll be living basically right next to the business school and law school campuses (so near the Barracks Center) and would LOVE to find a barn within 20 minutes (no more than 30) from there.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be much appreciated!

I'll try to put a link to a pic of him below, not sure if it will work, but here's hoping...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Will Coleman is near C'ville. I'm not sure about his boarding options, but he's very good both on the flat and to the jumps. Kim Severson is a bit further out, I think. Neither will be particularly cheap, I suspect.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure *exactly* how far from Charlottesville this is (I think it's about 30 minutes), but given what you are looking for (strong dressage with sj/xc courses, as well): www.graysonfarm.net.

Nancy Covert (Blakely Farm) would fit the bill. She is an eventing trainer with very strong dressage skills.

I am not sure the exact location, but her husband is librarian at UVA, so not TOO far away.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

PM sent

but for anyone else looking;
    Check Farmington Hunt's classified section of their website.
    Also the VADA charlottesville chapter has their newsletters online, scan them for boarding listings
    and the Virginia Equestrian site.

All have some up to date listings for boarding options.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Toad Hollow Farm. http://www.toadhollowfarm.net great barn owner/manager, awesome trainer, care is top notch. They host dressage clinics & dressage has always been Renee's main focus, but they also (at least used to) host CTs for the local schooling CTs. Renee is fabulous both teaching and I'd completely trust her to take my horse in a full training program too. Farm is in Crozet, about 15-20 mins from central C'ville unless the traffic has got way worse since I lived there.

Grayson Farm mentioned above is also fabulous, but going to be a bit further from C'ville - probably more like 20-30 mins. It is in Scottsville, next farm over to Plain Dealings. Not sure if Plain Dealings offers board but they would fit the bill too.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey