The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Paprika - What type?

I have been intrigued about the coat benefits from paprika and love how cheap it is. Does anyone know the difference between spanish and hungarian paprika? I see that some are "hot' and some are "sweet", I would guess that the sweet paprika is what the horses would prefer....
    Tinker Toy & Blue Bonnett

Thumbs down JMHO!!

Total waste of time, money & thought. If there really was a benefit; don't you think there'd be huge following? Wouldn't you do better to use a supplement or feed additive w/fat in it to improve their coats? Like flax seed/meal or similar.

Honestly, where DO we horsepeople get this stuff?!! Spices?!!! for horses?!!! REALLY?!!! And with their enormous sizes wouldn't it have to be humongous amounts? It's just a flavoring!!! And animals have different "tastes" than humans do.

Isn't it just all about sun fading anyway?

I have heard that the Hungarian stuff is preferable. I feed it and have no issues with palatability.

Paprika and paprika-containing coat supplements do have a huge following. It is a different approach than feeding fat, which would help with skin oils and shine, not fading. It is thought to be due to the requirement for copper in melanization. Paprika is supposedly a good source of bioavailable copper.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    I have heard that the Hungarian stuff is preferable. I feed it and have no issues with palatability.

Paprika and paprika-containing coat supplements do have a huge following. It is a different approach than feeding fat, which would help with skin oils and shine, not fading. It is thought to be due to the requirement for copper in melanization. Paprika is supposedly a good source of bioavailable copper.

EXACTLY. I have photos if you would like to see what a waste of time it is - the difference in my mares coat COLOR is amazing when on paprika.

I get mine from herbalcom.com and it is the hungarian variety. Mine eat it no problem. They get 1 tbsp twice a day.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I also use the herbalcom.com hungarian paprika. My mare gets 1/4 cup a day- and it REALLY makes her darker
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    ~Vet Tech Student
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 3 Cats, 6 (Former) Stepkids

1 members found this post helpful.

it's too late to do anything about this Summer's coat.

I fed it yr round for about 2 years when I was showing my dark horse a lot. It made a huge difference in his hair coat. 2 tbs hungarian paprika every day.

before
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7...D720/ry%3D480/

after. he just didn't fade over his bridle/saddle area or look burnt as he did above...
    http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a1...D720/ry%3D480/

1 members found this post helpful.