How much do you think colic surgery affects the price of a horse? It was an impaction and was operated on early enough that nothing was dead and all they had to removed was the impaction. Horse has never coliced before.
Horse was just picked up from being leased out so owner has no clue what could have caused it and if there might have been earlier symptoms.
I know an amazing packer that coliced and had a good bit of his intestines removed over 10 years ago and never had another issue.
Also would you rule a horse out for having surgery?
I would consider purchasing, but at a reduced cost. How reduced depends on what the horse is doing/expected to do. I know a lovely jumper/eq mare that was purchased with a previous colic surgery. She campaigned for several years afterwards, but then colicked again and required a second surgery.
Also, most insurance companies have limits on coverage for horses with that history....
A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...
How much would you think it would drop? Horse was orginally going to be price around 7000 but that was slightly discounted because owner does not have time to put the work in to bring him back to his full potential.
Well what was he doing before? I honestly wouldn't advise a client to buy a horse that has had colic surgery. If that is the slightly discounted price because he has been sitting I wouldn't pay more then $4,000 for him tops and that if I was keeping him. I resell everything so I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole myself.
I have known of very successful show pony (from the late 90s- ribbons at pony finals) that colicked. After the colic, he was able to be leased out year to year, but no one would buy him for anywhere near his value if it had been based on his performance record. Eventually the family got out of horses and decided to sell, he was sold at a greater than 60% discount.
I'd expect the price to be significantly reduced, sorry . And I'd probably just not buy the horse. But then again, I'm an Ammie, so I'm leery of buying potential problems, and a previous colic surgery definitely falls into the category.
I did fall in love with a wonderful TB mare at a boarding facility once, she was there to be boarded and to be sold. She had colic surgery and barely recovered, just back under saddle, when she coliced again and was put down. I was heartbroken. She had been a jumper and converted to eventer-land, and was working her way up the levels. She had initially been priced at $7500 because she had some management issues (very, VERY, marey, not even hormone therapy fixed it), and after her surgery I think the owner was at loss as to what to price her...so I think the euth was a decision the owner jumped to, because she wasn't able to unload the mare.
COTH's official mini-donk enabler
"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl
I think it also depends on how long ago the surgery was and what he has done since then. If he's still recovering I would not buy it, you don't know that he will return to work and handle the stress without a repeat episode. I would consider a reduced price if the horse had been going around doing what I intended to use it for for at least a year. Do not be surprised if you end up in a position where he needs another surgery so prepare accordingly.
We had a nice Irish import that coliced and needed surgery shortly after being imported. He never coliced before or after (he twisted when he got cast. Simple, quick fix.). It took YEARS to move him, and by the time we did sell him, I would say he sold for about 30-40% less than what he was worth, performance wise. In large part because there wasn't an insurance company that would insure him (several had a time limit...like 3 years and no recurrence).
Even years after later, when the family who bought him from us tried to sell him (probably 7 years post surgery), they struggled to get him moved. Didn't help that one PPE was done by the vet who originally treated him when WE had him and he coliced. He wouldn't "pass" him because he'd had surgery all those years before (Despite no colic, not even a little gas, post surgery).
We had a horse that a person at our barn purchased (at a reduced price by quite a bit for a proven 1.20m horse). It had had colic surgery around 10 yrs before and the insurance company (Capri) was willing to re-insure as they had proof that the surgery had originally been un-necessary and there had been no reoccurance of colic since (they had to wait 8 yrs before the insurance company would again insure for colic).
Sadly, the horse ended up doing something to it's neck and had to be put down, but there was no issue with insurance not paying out.
Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!
Agreed. I'd pay for surgery for a horse once (well, not my mare, at 24 she's not getting major abdo surgery), but most likely I'd make the decision to euth if another one was needed.
I used to think the same thing until my horse colicked requiring surgery, 5 weeks into an uneventful recovery period he colicked again. I think I read someplace that Hickstead had colic surgery.. I don't think that decreased his value. Plenty of horses have colic surgery w/o any further incidence.
If the surgery was many years ago and I knew the horse (in the same barn or owned by a friend) and knew the horse had zero problems after the surgery, and the surgery was uncomplicated, I might take a chance at a discounted price.
If the surgery involved the small intestine I'd be more leery. Any kind of a resection is an absolute no-go, even for free. I don't need the heartbreak.
It sounds like this horse's surgery was recent. That will not help.
As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.
"She had colic surgery and barely recovered, just back under saddle, when she coliced again and was put down"
sorry it read like she had adhesions post surgery and even successful surgeries result in adhesions.