The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ravel's Retirement Ceremony

http://www.horsenation.com/2013/05/0...ls-last-dance/

Finally had time to watch the video. I got a bit emotional! Such an amazing horse.

Kind of a shame they had to geld him, or I bet he'd be having a fun retirement.

The owner mentions in the video that she has a few of his babies. I can't wait to see what they'll do!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I didn't know they had to geld him! What was the reason?

In the long video, it says they had to geld him during quarantine because he went completely crazy. Screaming, dropped a bunch of weight, wild... Just completely unmanageable. And that he turned around straight away afterwards. :/
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Oh no! I have no sound at work so I couldn't listen to them just watch. Poor guy

He's only 15 too! Good for them for retiring too early than too late. I wonder what he'll do now. Surely they won't just leave him in a pasture for 10 years.

I read in Dressage Today that Akiko has been riding him both in the ring and on the trail! What a wonderful retirement for both of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh wow that would be amazing. I wonder how many owners of horses of that level actually ride their horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I read in Dressage Today that Akiko has been riding him both in the ring and on the trail! What a wonderful retirement for both of them.
    I missed the retirement ceremony, but I was there (Del Mar) on that Sunday and actually overheard Steffen Peters telling someone exactly that! Sounds like SP might ride him very occasionally but he is really Akiko's horse now
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    In the long video, it says they had to geld him during quarantine because he went completely crazy. Screaming, dropped a bunch of weight, wild... Just completely unmanageable. And that he turned around straight away afterwards. :/
    Was it something about him having to live-cover a mare while in quarantine that made him crazy? I can't remember where I heard that. Glad they collected him before they gelded him! One of the magazines had a cute photo of him being ridden with one of his daughters.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

I should be happy for them but why am I sad?

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    Was it something about him having to live-cover a mare while in quarantine that made him crazy? I can't remember where I heard that. Glad they collected him before they gelded him! One of the magazines had a cute photo of him being ridden with one of his daughters.
    Its nice to see a team that recognizes the problem, and fixes it. No fuss, even though it might not be the most financial benficial (ie no making money off stud fees when he was retired). Its so refreshing and really makes me love Steffen and the whole crew that much more.

The Dressage Today article said Steffen sits on him once a week or so to keep him tuned up for Akiko in lessons. The whole situation just makes my heart happy!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Its nice to see a team that recognizes the problem, and fixes it. No fuss, even though it might not be the most financial benficial (ie no making money off stud fees when he was retired). Its so refreshing and really makes me love Steffen and the whole crew that much more.

The Dressage Today article said Steffen sits on him once a week or so to keep him tuned up for Akiko in lessons. The whole situation just makes my heart happy!

I didn't see that article. From what Akiko said, I thought she bought babies from before he was gelded.. So imported them as well? I could be completely wrong.

How COOL would it be to take lessons on a horse like Ravel from someone like Steffen Peters!? Ah!

She may have, I'll have to dig out the article again. I'm sure that they collected him before he was gelded, so that they could do AI with select mares. I just really like the fact that they recognized right away that he could not both compete and breed, so they gelded him and that was the end of the problem. I'm sure any offspring will sell for big money, but they could have tried to deal with the problem in hopes to make serious money breeding him after retirement which would have resulted in a seriously stressed horse and/or somebody getting hurt.

And yea... I don't know who I'd be more in awe of... Steffen or the horse! Akiko is a lucky lady, but it seems like she's willingly funded the endeavor, so she deserves it! I wonder if the other co-owner rides as well?