The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does anyone know if 4/6 head to head trailers with living quarters exist?

In an ideal world, we would love to sell our super three horse slant with fabulous living quarters and get a trailer like described above! Do these trailers exist? Or is this a bit of a lost dream?

Yes, they exist. The fine folks at EquiSpirit can add living quarters to any of their trailer models, including the 4-horse h-2-h
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

That is a LOT of trailer! I'd be super jealous. Post pics if you find/get one!!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

1 members found this post helpful.

Yup, they definitely exist, I look at it every day, LOL. My BO has one -- it is a 6H head to head (3 abreast) with LQ. He hauls it with a dually F550, I can't even imagine how much that trailer weighs loaded! He trains TWH, so they are smaller than my TB, but they are the stocky type with good bone, so not deer legged sticks either. It has rear and side ramps for the horses, nice trailer.

I'm not sure exactly how long it is -- I'm trying to envision the manufacturer logo right now, maybe Sundowner? Looks like less than 10 years old, but not sure what year/model.

OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    ...including the 4-horse h-2-h
    Dang!!!!! I think I just found my new dream trailer!!!!!! (Too bad its so expensive.... although I can see why)
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

I love H2Hs, but DH wouldn't go for it; he's a slant fan and I'm a side-by-side fan. So we have two trailers . But I can't imagine how long that would be, depending on the LQ size. Our big trailer is a monster, but the LQ is essentially a hotel room...
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

We have a 5 H2H with big stalls and a good sized LQ. The tack goes across the back of the trailer and is huge. Total length on the floor is 41ft, so she's a big girl. Not real suitable for much off freeway travel. Most of our travel is long distances on the highway. I would not want to use it as a runabout trailer.

We pull with a Freightliner M2 Business class to stay in the GVWR

This one was made by Featherlite.

Yes so is our travel! Where did you get your trailer?

I have a 4H H2H with 8' dressing room. It's large enough for a shower in the corner, a full height closet in other corner, fold down dinette across the long side, a couple cabinets to give the bed some privacy, and lots of space for changing/saddles. I didn't feel the need for a toilet, but it could be added into the shower if necessary. I upgraded from a small bumper pull and I LOVE this trailer. I went back and forth between slants and straight loads for a long time, but ultimately gave up more LQ space for safer access to my horses and to give them more space length wise from their nose to tail. I don't regret it at all.

Shadow makes one. There are some listed on HorseTrailerWorld. They are right at 50k
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

How many gallons to the mile would that thing get? :-)

We bought our 5h H2H used. It is a 2006, same year as our 4h slant. We just got the 5 horse, but have pulled the 4 slant with big LQ, slide, MT many miles.

We get about 9 mpg with the Freightliner. Just past 50k miles on him. It pulls and stops anything we hook it to. Exhaust brake works really well. It weighs 12,000 empty, but we can put 1200 lbs of hay on the bed easily and pull and stop a big trailer. We usually weigh around 34,000 loaded.

We also have a Dodge 3500 with tow haul and an exhaust brake. It does a great job, but only weighs around 7k. It has been pulling a 3h slant with LQ. It gets around 11.5 mpg. The Dodge only has 10,000 miles on it, so we may see more mpg later.

Short trips for us are 10 hours and 600 miles, or so. Many trips are 2 days and 1,000 miles one way. We have made 12 RT across the US with more of those in our future.

Life is a long haul LOL !

We own one. A 4 Star. 4-6 horses head to head w mid tack and LQ. Trailer box length is 44 ft--it's a long mother! We pull, and more importantly STOP, with a FL60 Freighliner. We found it used about 7 yr ago. We still have our 3 horse slant for "short trips" or places that getting the big trailer into is tricky. If you want pics you will need to PM or email me.

There is one for sale in my area, looks lovely though I don't know whose it is/have never been in it:
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-pets-live...AdIdZ483265585

I checked -- BO's is a Sundowner. I couldn't let my wondering go unanswered, LOL.

ETA -- holy mother of cod, mouse&bay, that is one long trailer. BO's is about half that long. What do they have in there, a condo?! ROFL! Oh - just looked at pics; that is not a head to head, it's a slant load.