The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OTTB goes to Hamburg Equifest 2013 Dressage Demonstration

COTHer buffalocolleen's Finger Lakes Finest ottb mare recently participated in a dressage demonstration at the Hamburg Equifest 2013.

Kathy Wood-Copa is the clinician, presenting an introduction to dressage.

The audio has some good introductory theory (but does not, imo, accurately portray how completely nuts the atmosphere in that arena was!!) and the horse shows what dressage does for every horse.

What a good girl she was to be so quiet and willing in such a bonkers atmosphere!

Here she is:
    http://youtu.be/M37zG_n2XYw

1 members found this post helpful.

What a lovely, sweet girl! From the glimpses seen of the other two horses during the video, she looked even slightly more relaxed than the other two, even though she obviously wasn't as advanced in her training yet. I adore the willingness of most TBs to try, no matter what you might ask of them.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

2 members found this post helpful.

I was there and watched this demo. The craziness was huge! The sound system kept going nuts and sounded like trees being ripped down. The ottb mare was a doll. After all she's probably been there done that at the track. My ottb is often the calmest in nutty situations. He will ride out fireworks or dirt bike invasions without a care while my lovely wp qh loses his mind. They get a bad rep and IMO don't deserve it.

A lovely horse, with a lot of potential.

Yes, I like this mare for this discipline a lot. I think she will make up quite nicely!

And they certainly do get a lot of the spookiness out of them at the track. My mileage is the same as Ruby2shoes' - I used to board my late OTTB at a barn full of QH who were all experienced trail horses, and not ONE of them would dare to venture across the scary levee on a windy day with water rushing underneath the bridge and flags snapping in the wind overhead. The TB? Marched *right* over and looked back at the QH wondering what the big fat hairy deal was!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

And the tb is just so beautiful! I suppose it's all just a matter of personal taste but there is just no other breed that comes close to tbs for me. There were many beautiful horses at equifest and my eye was always drawn to this mare "Tilly" is her barn name if my memory serves me. One of my favorite aspects of most tbs is their baby faces. Recently took my 7yo ottb to a dressage schooling show at houghton and got so many compliments on both his natural movement and his beautiful baby face. Many riders thought he was. 3yo

Hamburg....where ?
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Hamburg....where ?
    Yuh, I was a bit thrown by that, too. I'm assuming Hamburg, NY.
    http://www.wcnyshc.org/pages/EquiFest.html

Yup hamburg ny

The term "Equifest" is a clue that the event was in the US.

I saw TBs presented at Equitana in Germany during the stallion show about 8 years ago....they were gorgeous and very talented.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    The term "Equifest" is a clue that the event was in the US.
    The event was the second annual. Nice facility. Lots of really horse ignorant spectators and mostly vendors pushing over priced horse stuff. Every horse in the arena went at least halfway bonkers. I felt bad for how freaked out they were and genuinely scared out of their minds. If anyone else on here went they would have seen a huge mule throw its rider and ram him into the wall. All the horses seemed convinced they were going to be eaten by something. The mule just decided it should be his rider that was panther food and not him.

Is the name "Equitana" a clue that it's in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Is the name "Equitana" a clue that it's in Germany?
    Well, the clinician is speaking english with a pronounced United States accent, and a quick google of "Hamburg Equifest 2013" can always confirm things before anyone has to get confused or snarky.

Lovely horse, and the rider did a superb job of not getting to grippy with the reins, and encouraging forwardness. Rider took it all in stride, la de dah, forward we go.
    Thanks for posting the video of a beautiful looking pair.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Running TB's are professionals who have to work under all conditions with all sorts of activity going on. They may shy the first time they see a mailbox or large rock but bravery is not a foreign concept to them.

Lovely pair in the video and they did a great job.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Well, the clinician is speaking english with a pronounced United States accent, and a quick google of "Hamburg Equifest 2013" can always confirm things before anyone has to get confused or snarky.
    Do all English speaking clinicians, etc., present in German when in Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    Do all English speaking clinicians, etc., present in German when in Germany?
    Seriously??

Even after you googled it and provided the link here and discovered that there did indeed exist in Hamburg NY an equifest with a dressage demo by WNY dressage trainer Kathy Copa, and even after the summary indicated that the horse belongs to a COTHer named buffalo colleen and is a Finger Lakes finest, you still wondered if maybe perhaps we flew the ottb to Hamburg Deutschland to do a parallel demo there and explain to a packed house in Germany what dressage is?

Of which parallel Hamburg demo there is shockingly no internet evidence when you google it?

Mein Gott.

Are you trying to claim you were somehow misled or what is the deal with the federal case you are making?

What a bizarre turn of the thread

Hopefully it'll get back to the horse who was absolutely wonderful in that environment

TBs rule!!! horse forum pointless arguments drool hehe