The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pad Perfect saddle pads

I saw these in Aiken, think Polypad with keepers for the billet straps to keep the pad in place and darting for wither relief. I got two, one for dressage and an AP for jumping and I really like them. Anyone else use them?

I'm intrigued. I Googled but couldn't find anything. Can you post a link or pictures?
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by emirae1091 View Post
    I'm intrigued. I Googled but couldn't find anything. Can you post a link or pictures?
    Sure.

http://www.padperfect.com/

I just ordered one a week and a half ago so I can't tell you if I like it or not yet. My friend has one for XC and loves it!
    Harmonys Maestro: 1992-2008 RIP
    Morally Grey - Training level here we come

They are just so BIG, that's my only beef with them. I love the style and the colors but other than Bonnie who is big-bodied, my smaller horses swim in them.
    Click here before you buy.

uh oh. this could be dangerous!! They have so many color choices!

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    They are just so BIG, that's my only beef with them. I love the style and the colors but other than Bonnie who is big-bodied, my smaller horses swim in them.
    I was a little worried that they wouldn't be big enough! My jump saddle is 18 1/2 inches with an extra forward flap and the flaps on my dressage saddle are pretty long also. I'm 6'2" and the fit is actually pretty good for me. I currently use them for schooling pads, and so far, so good. The problem I had with Polypads is that without billet keepers it would slip, and there was no contour wither relief to fit the higher withers of my horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Yeah. They would swallow Toby whole. They need to make a little horse edition.

They look nice. Not all that different from Poly Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Well I feel a bit silly now!
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Yeah. They would swallow Toby whole. They need to make a little horse edition.

They look nice. Not all that different from Poly Pads.
    I know! I am so sad because I want to buy one but my 15.1 light bodied TB would just look silly.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I was a little worried that they wouldn't be big enough! My jump saddle is 18 1/2 inches with an extra forward flap and the flaps on my dressage saddle are pretty long also. I'm 6'2" and the fit is actually pretty good for me. I currently use them for schooling pads, and so far, so good. The problem I had with Polypads is that without billet keepers it would slip, and there was no contour wither relief to fit the higher withers of my horse.
    This sounds like a pad I've been looking for. I ride in an 18 and all of the pads that are sold up here are just too small for my saddle, plus having the wither relief is extremely hard to find! Thanks for the link and info, riderboy
    All that is gold does not glitter;
    Not all those who wander are lost.
    ~J.R.R. Tolkien
    http://theimperfectperfecthorse.blogspot.com/

do you think they would really look that silly on a smaller horse?

My horse looks a little silly in a regular AP pad. These are larger than that

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    Well, silly is in the eye of the beholder, but both Boscoe (slightly long-bodied, just over 15.2) and Keebler (short-coupled 15.1) look like they're wearing quarter sheets with them on. Boscoe looks better in it because his back is longer but it's stil quite large.

even if you scoot it forward more? what size is your saddle? I kind of like the pads bigger looking but that is just me!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
    Like dw said, it's all in they eyes of the beholder. I know that my tiny little horse, Ralph (who was smaller than Toby) was swallowed alive in a regular Poly Pad. I was thrilled when they came out with their "butterfly" pads. A much better shape. I HATE dressage pads on Toby because they are super big and my saddle isn't long flapped, so the saddle looks funny as does the horse. And I just got custom made quilted contour pads for my jump saddle because most smaller square pads aren't forward enough for my saddle, yet the larger ones are huge.

Little horse problems.

(I am certain there are plenty of people who wouldn't mind, though).

There's only so far you can scoot a pad. Hey, I have one and I like it. I would not buy another, however, unless they offered a smaller size. Just too big for my personal taste. I like it very much otherwise.

FWIW my 2 saddles are both 17.5" seats, one an Antares jump saddle the other a custom dressage monoflap.

Is the issue with the back length or flap length? They have an AP version called the Stephen Bradley edition that is shorter. 15.5" drop per side instead of 21.5" on the regular AP pad. Anyone have the SB edition? I can't imagine needing a 21.5" drop on any jump saddle I've ever ridden in, but 15.5" seems like it might be OK. At 27.5" back length it's about 1.5" longer than a classic poly pad. Never had an issue with the poly pad being too long back wise (from 15.1 to 16h).

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Is the issue with the back length or flap length? They have an AP version called the Stephen Bradley edition that is shorter. 15.5" drop per side instead of 21.5" on the regular AP pad. Anyone have the SB edition? I can't imagine needing a 21.5" drop on any jump saddle I've ever ridden in, but 15.5" seems like it might be OK. At 27.5" back length it's about 1.5" longer than a classic poly pad. Never had an issue with the poly pad being too long back wise (from 15.1 to 16h).
    I think the Stephen version would actually probably work (for the record, I LIKE my pad setup and have no reason to change, but these are still nice looking pads). IF I were to buy one, I would probably go with the Stephen version.

My issue is two fold. A too long pad looks silly on my small, short coupled horse. But a pad with too much drop also looks silly on my small horse but also looks odd with my short flapped saddle. I have ONE square pad that looks really nice with my saddle and my horse (not too long front to back, cut forward enough, but only long enough to run the girth through the billet strap, no more). That's big part of why I went with a contour. I'm considering a contour for my dressage, as well.

Pad Perfect is one of my new sponsors, and I can't wait to get my new pads!!
    Jessica Bortner-Harris
    www.rockystartstables.com
    "Throw your heart over the fence and your horse will follow."