The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Craziest thing you've done for your horse's birthday?

My sweet boy turns 14 today! Unfortunately I'm away until Saturday for work. I'm sure my trainer will give him extra carrots, and I'll celebrate with him when I get home.

Has anyone done anything for your horse's birthday?

I once read this: "no, I can't come to your cat's birthday party, freak! My dog is getting married that day."
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

2 members found this post helpful.

I personally haven't done much - I think the most I ever did was wrap up a bag of peppermints (they're his favorite treats!) and open it in his stall with him. He gets his nose right up in the wrapping paper to see what it is - it's very cute.

But one year this little girl who comes to ride my gelding every once in a while did the sweetest thing (with Mommy's help, of course). She made a peppermint cake by taking starlight mints, using a paintbrush to just wet them, then stick them together in the shape of a cake! It was too freakin' cute! My gelding, didn't know how to eat it, so I had to break them off one-by-one, but he loved it just the same.

My boys birthday was yesterday. He finished my apple while I groomed him. Then I jumped on him bareback to graze in the big unfenced field with my friends and their horses for about an hour (new farm, not all fencing is up and the lots they're currently on have minimal grass). Then he got brushed again, had some of his favorite treats and his own apple. Then I put him in his paddock for the night. It would have been a low key work day anyway as the prior day I pushed him for a couple new things.

The craziest (and stupidest) thing I did for my horse's birthday was bringing her a cake with one lit candle (I did it in the middle of the indoor) for her 25th. She almost singed some whiskers investigating the candle. I quickly blew it out for her.

The rest of the party was great. She had a tiara, sash, carrot cake and lots of well wishers to sing her happy birthday and she was extremely pleased with herself.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...IMG_9779_5.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

I typically get a treat that they can't normally have - like an apple cinnamon muffin from the bakery or an oatmeal raisin cookie with carrot frosting.

My mare's birthday was a couple weeks ago. I brought her some carrot cake without frosting. She mouthed it and then dropped it on the ground. Then she immediately ate some dried leaves she found in the mud.

3 members found this post helpful.

My greenie's 5th birthday was last week. Couldn't really do much of anything with him since it was raining, but I gave him a few treats when he got his dinner. Usually I get my horses a present, but I lost track of time this spring.

I got my 19-year-old gelding a carrot cake for his 10th birthday. He spit it out. If he thinks I'm going all out for his 20th birthday he's nuts.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have 2 that share the same birthday. This year all 4 got carrots, apples, and oatmeal-honey granola bars.

My sister generally gets more elaborate. She generally invites a bumch of people, and hasboth human and horse treats. Magic (now dead) WOULD blow out the candle on the carrot cake.

One year, when she was running the "Cuba study project" she invited both American (state department) and Cuban diplomats to Magic's 21s birthday. The Americans needed to get special permission to attend. I can just see the application forms now- requesting permission to attend a horse's birthday party, with Cubans present!

That was also the first time my now-husband met my sister - what an introduction to an eccentric family.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I rode with a lady who once (before I rode with her) put a bucket full of carrots in front of her horse's stall that said something like "It's my birthday, feed me a carrot." So every time someone walked by he got a carrot.

I thought that was really cute and I'm sure the horse really thought it was a special day!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Fourteen Months Living and Working in Costa Rica

Well I don't really think it's that crazy...but my 4 year old mare got to wear the "Birthday Tiara" for her 4th this year and open her own present. She is such a princess and loved it!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...pe/bella-1.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...la_present.jpg

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ope/bella5.jpg
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
    friendship without envy or beauty without vanity?
    Ode to the Horse. ~ Ronald Duncan

Umm...I'm bringing her to a local recognized show at a fairly nice venue as a noncompete, where I will be throwing a small birthday party for her. It will probably just be a few of us celebrating because I don't know that many people in my area yet, but I'm bringing wine (or possibly sangria) and Crumbs cupcakes, as well as plentiful carrots and apples for the equine guests. Gonna try to make some kind of horse-safe carrot cake too, as well as some kind of banner for her stall that says "Happy 6th Birthday Betta!" There will also be presents, party hats and other frivolity.

Excess is my middle name. Also, it's her first birthday since I bought her, she's my first horse, and I'm reliving the childhood I missed. So yeah.

Willow is lucky enough to have lived to see her birthdays with me, a party would just be overkill. She does love cake though, as we found out on Valentine's Day.

Suzier444... I just have to say, I LOVE your blog. I want to tack a picture of Betta in Willow's stall and say "SEE. THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN BE." --
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I once got a horse a card & put it on his stall "You are FIVE!!"

And my boy loves honey-glazed donuts so that's what he usually gets. Haven't made a fuss over my younger mare, yet.

I got my horse the day before his 10th b-day - I gave him a peppermint - he mouthed it and then, took it way in, then did that Tom Hanks thing like in the movie "Big" when he took a mouthful of caviar and phleh tried to get it off his tounge and out of his mouth...like he had never had a peppermint before (doubtful)...now he scarfs them down. Heh heh.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I love the stories and ideas!! My horse loves peppermint, too (NOT wintergreen, do NOT make that mistake), and I left 2 bags for him, so I'm sure he had some of those. I'm thinking that I need to make a carrot/apple/etc. cake for him, but no candles. And no tiara. Perhaps a crown. I'll make my barn buddies participate next Sunday. I think that wine will help convince them, perhaps!

Suzier444, this is also my horse's first birthday with me, and I'm also reliving some youth.

And perhaps I'll try to do him some justice next time I ride!!!

Cute stories.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Since we warmbloods have decreed that every day is warmblood day, our birthdays are nothing special. Well on our birthdays we do give the other horses at the barn an apple each. We are forced to share with others. (You should ask what our owner has made guys do for our birthdays and the birthdays of her dogs and cats.

In fact, on holidays our owner tends to buy wormer and fly spray and shavings for OTHER horses. Which is why we declared every day as warmblood day so we are treated like the royalty we are.

I've never done anything for mine BUT... In two weeks my old man turns 30 and I intend to make it memorable. I'm working diligently to get him shed out before the big day. He's going to get cleaned up, braided, and we're going to do a photo shoot. We're going to go for a nice long walk, I'm going to bake him treats, and treat him like the king he is! I've had him for almost 22 years now so we have much to celebrate

When my first horse turned 21, I made a cake of sweet feed and molasses pressed into a bundt cake pan. Then I put starlight mints on top. He did not like it. Even though he loved mints, I had to clean off any trace of the cake from them before he would even keep them in his mouth. His barnmates enjoyed the cake.

My current guy is 28 and at this age, every birthday is special. He'll get a forbidden treat (something sweet), extra grooming and a very quiet "Happy Birthday to You" sung by me, if no one is around. Then we just have a nice leisurely walk in the fields and I'll let him stand around and gaze at whatever he wants. Weather permitting, we'll visit the ponies next door.