The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bloody discharge from one nostril

My friends horse, who I care for, has had 4 incidents in the past 1.5 weeks where I've noticed a bloody discharge out of his left nostril only. The horse is around 30 yrs old but doesn't look it. Actually waiting on IR/cushings test results as I write this because he's had a few abscesses. Anyway, the discharge is almost like a clearish/yellow chunky snot with bloody mixed in. Definitely not just blood. I've told my friend that I'm concerned and that I'd recommend her calling the vet. Any ideas of what could be causing this??? I'm worried.
    Kristen

Kiwayu & Figiso Pictures:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/kiwayu

Sinus or guttural pouch infection, or some kind of infected tooth. Definitely time for a vet, ASAP.

3 members found this post helpful.

Same thing happened to my mare this past weekend - bloody snot left nostril only. I called my vet who is checking on her today. This happened a few years back and I took my mare to the hospital to be scoped and thoroughly checked. Vets couldn't find anything. Back then the pollen count was horrendous just like now and that's the only thing we could come up with. I always worry about GPM but I've been told both nostrils will bleed. I am taking my mare to the hospital next week for some other stuff so I may have her scoped again. Rather be safe than sorry!

Your friend should really consult with a vet as it could be nothing or could be a sign that something more serious is going on.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I've always been told that blood coming out of the nose warrants an emergency call to the vet.

1 members found this post helpful.

If it's only one nostril it's more than likely a bad tooth (especially considering the horse's age) but DEFINITELY not something to wait on--get a vet out sooner rather than later!
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

I agree with the others - time to get the vet out. I have cared for a horse that got a gutteral pouch infection and it didn't end well. On the other hand, I had an older lesson horse that got a tiny bit of blood in one nostril. Everyone thought I was overreacting as he showed mo signs of pain or distress, but after the gutteral pouch thing, I called the vet, and the horse ended up needing to have a tooth pulled. He was just fine after the tooth was removed.

Could also be an ethmoid hematoma.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I freely admit to being a bit of a scope addict, but this sounds like the perfect time for a scope.

Guttural pouch mycosis presents with intermittent nose bleeds, often from one nostril. It is 100% fatal without treatment. Definitely call the vet out.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

2 members found this post helpful.

Ethmoid hematomas can also present this way. Especially if there is decreased air flow from one nostril or a foul odor from the nostril. Either way, skull films and maybe a scope are warranted.

Time to call the vet: anything other than bright red arterial blood coming out of the nose on a dry day is cause for alarm. (Because yes, horses can get nose bleeds just like people do, mine has, as has someone's hunter at the same barn, but it is JUST blood and is usually accompanied by a dry, windy day, and the horses running especially hard in turnout or something).

I agree with the bad tooth/guttural pouch ideas, but it could be anything... have heard of horses shoving sticks up their noses and ending up with weird infections too. Time to check it out. Good luck! Hope it is nothing serious.

Vet was called and will scope the horse tomorrow. Vet is thinking tumor as we are having trouble getting this horse to eat despite acting like he's starving. He takes a few bites and walks away. Then today he went to roll and couldn't get his hind end up under him and kept falling back down. This horse has never had trouble getting up before today. Now we are thinking this all might be connected. It sucks when animals get old!
    Kristen

SOrry to hear I was going to say that I am in no way a horse expert, but if it was a dog or cat I would be worried about a nasal carcinoma (cancer). Here's hoping Im wrong and it's a treatable infection.

Doubt its infection as his nose doesn't smell. Wouldn't I be able to smell something foul?
    Kristen

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwayu View Post
    Doubt its infection as his nose doesn't smell. Wouldn't I be able to smell something foul?
    Exactly, when my mare had a tooth abscess and even now, she still has an occasional discharge (sinus was flushed last year for a week every day), the smell is certainly the tell tale sign.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

My guy had this same thing last summer. He had quite a bit of discharge at times and then a few times had blood out one nostril. We scoped for the guttoral pouch but it ended up being an infected tooth. The discharge that came out of his nostril did not have any bad odour at all. I would def have a vet out but I agree with others that are leaning towards infected tooth. Good luck to your friend!

If it were infection, wouldn't the discharge be more puss-like? This guys discharge was like rusty colored snot with blood mixed in.
    Kristen

At first, my mare's discharge was orange ... then it started to smell and turned to yellow.... and it smelled.

No, not all infections smell. Some abcesses are actually sterile and have no smell whatsoever. Jingles for this.

Unfortunately, the vet appointment had to be pushed back until Monday. In the meantime, the horse has an abscess in his right front hoof and is very lame! The farrier was out yesterday and wants an X-ray on Monday as well because he thinks the horse has also foundered. Depending on what the scope and X-ray finds some decisions might need to be made. Having an older horse sucks!
    Kristen