The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Being Harassassed By Other Equine Professional

I have someone close to me that is an equine professional (and comes with high regards from the vets in our area). About a year ago, another professional that performs the same type of work began sending nasty e-mails about "his clients getting stolen". Um, if you perform a service and your clients are happier with another professional, it is not stealing clients. It is offering a quality service for a reasonable price. This person went as far as going to the state to cause problems. Of course, the state found no wrong doing and my friend was cleared completely. Now this person is posting ads that my friend does a horrible job and his horse had to be "fixed" by a vet. Ironically, the vet he said he used is a vet that my friend routinely works for. I'm sure had this person actually used this vet to "fix" the problem, something would have been said to my friend. Luckily, friend actually performs outstanding work and their clients are thrilled with the quality of work, so that is not an issue. However, for people that have never used my friend, they may not be willing to use them based on what this person is saying. I'm guessing this type of harassment happens on a pretty regular basis in the horse word (or in life in general) because everyone wants more clients and some people will do whatever it takes to get them. How do you deal with someone that is set on trying to ruin your business?

Well from a business standpoint for me the number one rule of business is, mind your own. Because if your minding everyone elses you dont have time to mind your own. I know that sounds so overly simple but it is so true. That guy has not figured that one out, thus he is spending all his time focusing on the other guy and not on himself and his services. If he was really that great he wouldnt need to tell anyone. That being said if the other guy is good at what he does and has happy pleased clients , then they will speak. This is the second rule of business, word of mouth is your best advertisement. If the other guy minds his own business, and continues to provide a good service without all the bull and drama, he will do well.

This stalking thing unfortunately happens. I find when people do this they are unhappy with themselves and their own lives ,so they focus on someone else to make themselves feel not so bad. When I do business with someone and all they can talk about is the other guy and all of what he does wrong, it makes me gravitate to the other guy because I wonder why is the guy Im talking to so scared of him , that its all he talks about. If your talking to me you have my attention, tell me about you and what you can do for me, not the other guy. I also dont like hanging with people that say bad things about others constantly, because I know they will do the same to me as soon as I turn my back. The old saying "those who talk badly about others to you, will talk badly of you to others."

So basically what I am saying is the guy thats being harassed just needs to be steady , consistant, stay to the course, and not ingage in the nasty, and clients will figure it out, and he will be fine and do well. A business builds itself on a good reputation.

How do you deal with someone trying to ruin your business, ignore them, they will only ruin their own.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeMeadows View Post
    I have someone close to me that is an equine professional (and comes with high regards from the vets in our area). About a year ago, another professional that performs the same type of work began sending nasty e-mails about "his clients getting stolen". Um, if you perform a service and your clients are happier with another professional, it is not stealing clients. It is offering a quality service for a reasonable price. This person went as far as going to the state to cause problems. Of course, the state found no wrong doing and my friend was cleared completely. Now this person is posting ads that my friend does a horrible job and his horse had to be "fixed" by a vet. Ironically, the vet he said he used is a vet that my friend routinely works for. I'm sure had this person actually used this vet to "fix" the problem, something would have been said to my friend. Luckily, friend actually performs outstanding work and their clients are thrilled with the quality of work, so that is not an issue. However, for people that have never used my friend, they may not be willing to use them based on what this person is saying. I'm guessing this type of harassment happens on a pretty regular basis in the horse word (or in life in general) because everyone wants more clients and some people will do whatever it takes to get them. How do you deal with someone that is set on trying to ruin your business?
    You can't "steal" a client any more than you can "steal" a job, a girl friend, a good doctor, etc. As long as there is no unlawful interference with a contractual relationship then "competition" is the name of the game.

Every state has rules about libel, slander, tortius interference with contract, etc. Someone who is the victim of such things will likely have to engage an attorney to deal with these things. Often a letter from an attorney will cause a miscreant to "back off" (or at least become MUCH more discrete).

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    Every state has rules about libel, slander, tortius interference with contract, etc. Someone who is the victim of such things will likely have to engage an attorney to deal with these things. Often a letter from an attorney will cause a miscreant to "back off" (or at least become MUCH more discrete).

G.
    That was my first thought too. This is libel (written)/slander (spoken). Particularly if in fact that vet "fixing" allegation is false, this is an easy case to make with all the elements there (basically, an lie that causes damage to person's business/reputation). If your friend doesn't want to spend the money on an attorney right away, she should author a professional letter herself stating that this person has made libelous statements and if he does not recant/cease and desist (her preference), she will not hesitate to take legal action. Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

Agreed with the others consult an attorney about the laws for libel and slander in your state and have them send a cease and desist letter. If that works, great. If not, pursue it.

Or turn the other cheek, people will realize he is nuts. But my concern is by the time it gets down the grapevine the source may not be known, but your friend's name will be. Word travels fast with horse people.

Yeah, if your friend wants to do something about it (rather than just ignoring it and letting their reputation speak for itself), a cease and desist letter is the way to go. They are very straightforward and you can easily find a template for one in your state and write it yourself. But, they are much more effective when sent by an attorney...it wouldn't be a huge bill, as it's a very easy task to write one.

Though it sounds a little weird, if you can set up a way for your friend to run into this person in public with other people around he may do himself in by doing what comes naturally to him. He may go spouting off to your friend in full view of other people and others can see what an idiot he is. These people can't always help themselves and given the chance they often show their true colors to everyone.

Want to add my support for the cease and desist letter. This sort of thing happened to a trainer friend of mine - someone he had had prior dealings with was going around saying he was a pedophile, among other things. A cease and desist letter took care of that nonsense *right away*. The target of these attacks needs to call a few attorneys and get a price. Probably less than $100 to get it done (at least by Ohio fees) and then the harassment is documented as well.

Get 'er done!

2 members found this post helpful.

Honestly I think this stuff goes on so much in the horse world that getting too het up over it is a pointless waste of energy/emotion. In the end the quality of work should speak for itself. The other professional in question should know this, and if he's naming your friend then a cease and desist letter is probably the next step. But this kind of drama has been going on since the dawn of time in horse-world, and as we've learned here on COTH, getting too drawn into it often makes everyone look bad. Besides which, if this other person is upset about losing clients to your friend, that means your friend isn't hurting from what the other guy is doing.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thank you guys for your support. The person doing all of this was actually all over COTH a few years ago (people talking about him in a not so good manner). It is my understanding he is no longer working as the type of professional my friend is although there are still ads out and his complaint is about my friend stealing clients. He now does other work as an equine professional, just on the other end of the horse. It is frusterating because friend is a perfectionist and cares deeply about his work. No one wants to go the legal route, but it seems like that may be the only way to go.