The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by TalkIsCheap View Post

Tell me how we would manage canceling the Blue/Red during the day, if we find that we need to do away with it in the interest of time and waning daylight, and not get grief from the exhibitors/trainers? Do we tell them bluntly to "just suck it up"?
    Put it in the prize list. "Please note, that in the interest of keeping the show running on time Blue/Red rounds may be disallowed at any point to ensure classes keep running smoothly."

1 members found this post helpful.

That's how the organizations I've known have handled it. They usually make the decision the night before/morning of depending on the number of rounds that are going that day. They then let people know in the morning and distribute class lists without the class on it just so people don't forget I don't think it would be very well received to cancel it in the middle of the day particularly if you have somebody going in an earlier division as well as a later and they got to have a warmup and somebody else didn't. This obviously depends on your clientele and their experience level. I'd cancel it in the morning before anybody went or let everybody do it.

It's been a while since I showed, and always just local stuff, but when the schooling ring closed, it closed. 10 minute warning, 5 minute warning, 1 minute warning, done.

Anyone jumping a fence after that time was typically not allowed to show. And anyone lingering in the ring to flat or "talk" was verbally prodded (in a nice, nagging way) by the ring guy as the tractor pulled in to drag.

I appreciate the chance to do a warm-up round (I think they called it a ticketed warmup around here- you gave your ticket (like the raffle kind) to the in gate guy, did your thing, came out). It was an open card all day and got placed, I think, but if I remember correctly some shows didn't judge it and also charged a reduced fee (like, $5/trip instead of $15/trip), one per horse/rider combo. Great chance for the judge to run to the bathroom, or grab water, too, if the gate guy can get two of these trips back to back!

But, if I was at a venue that only had 1 ring, I would rather have IRON CLAD schooling breaks (pre-show, a 15-minute break halfway through the pre-lunch classes, schooling during the lunch break (30 minutes), and again 15-minute break halfway through the second set of classes). It does add an extra hour to the day, but it's just an hour. It's really hard to do an adequate warm up in just a ticketed warm up ride if I want my horse to be in decent shape for the division, especially if I'm going in under the guise of jumping 8 fences lol.

I think it depends on what kind of horse show you are talking about. A C rated horseshow is more of a local show that allows horses and riders to get experience so that they can possibly move up to the A rated shows. It usually is held on one day as well. I think schooling breaks are important at these shows because how is someone supposed to get the experience to go in cold turkey? A warmup round is still going in and jumping around cold turkey. And frankly I think it takes longer for 20 horses to go in and jump singularly a round than it does to allow 20 horses in to school around.
    The A rated horseshows where you don’t get to school usually have schooling days that allow people to get their horses comfortable over the courses they will jump the rest of the week. And the ones that have experienced horses do not need to jump around because they are experienced
    Its great for people riding around on butt made horses to say get rid of the schooling breaks. But think about the people riding around on less made horses or the people that have just started showing and are very nervous about jumping around.
    I thought the purpose of a more local show was for getting the experience so you could eventually jump around cold at the bigger shows. So I personally would avoid a show that instituted a warm-up round instead of a schooling break. Schooling breaks can be limited to 10 minutes. I know they are at the shows I have attended. You have to get out! And in one 10 minute schooling break I can have my trainer jump my horse around for me and then I get to jump around once. That would be two red blue rounds for my green horse and wasting more time.

I'm fine with either, but I must say, the most efficient schooling I've ever seen is when the show runs it themselves.

Course designer Brian at Briarwood has done it a few times. Gives people a few minutes to hack around then tells everyone to jump quarter line, then moves on to the other lines, then politely wraps it up, kicks everyone out and the show goes on.

I wish every show did it that way, not only is it the most efficient but also the safest, everyone is jumping the same jumps at the same time! He gave enough time that if someone needed to do the line over, they could, not everyone but a few each line.

4 members found this post helpful.

so went to the gladstone horseshow on saturday. what a lovely show and they did red/blue ticketed warmups. the 2.6ft division was endless with all the red blue rounds. trainers taking horses around, riders needing their round before their real round. i was filming some people and it was 2 minutes a trip. plus all the horse walking into the ring and walking out waiting for the next one. (which i didnt film) well the show ran so late with the endless red blue rounds, that the 3ft people had to scurry and show in the dark. they really got cheated having to practically show in the dark.
    they could have run 2 schooling rounds at 10 minutes each and saved so much time! i just think the red/blue rounds are a waste of time and they cost more money too!

Quote Originally Posted by TalkIsCheap View Post
    Thanks, keep the comments coming. We run a 2nd ring with the S/S thru Pre-Adults...and the schooling breaks are manageable in that ring. It's the main ring that tends to get crazy. The exhibitors in this ring are either Pros, or experienced Juniors/Adults.

Tell me how we would manage canceling the Blue/Red during the day, if we find that we need to do away with it in the interest of time and waning daylight, and not get grief from the exhibitors/trainers? Do we tell them bluntly to "just suck it up"?
    always include that lovely sentence about management reserves the right to combine/cancel etc etc in prize list; and could always include something along the lines of running the class as time/entries permit.. if you have to cancel it to save time for the real divisions sobeit