The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hunter Schooling: Blue/Red Open Card vs Scheduled Breaks

Would like your thoughts on using a Blue/Red class run as an open card all day for schooling versus having traditional schooling breaks.

We run a local "C" show and would like to speed things up in the horse ring. The ring runs like this:
    Young/Green Hunter, Pre-Green, Low Hunter, Children's Horse Y/O, Adult Amateur Y/O, Junior Htr, A/O Htr.

As much as we try to police the schooling, time disappears into that black hole. With over 20 horses in each division, it becomes a long day.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am such a fan of red blue rounds I can't even explain it!
    My Horse Show Photography/ Blog

Add backs and blue/reds are the best invention since the printing press, IMHO.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

one round only of blue red during the day, open schooling in morning until 7:30. works a charm.

5 members found this post helpful.

Schooling breaks in the middle of the day are a bad institution. They drag on forever, make the show no $ and half the time people are late arriving and the show will hold up the schooling break for them. Bad idea. Open schooling class all day is much more productive for all.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 13-15, 2015

3 members found this post helpful.

Just curious, how does a blue/red hunter open round work?

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative1 View Post
    Just curious, how does a blue/red hunter open round work?
    The card usually stays open for multiple divisions. The management will designate the score that qualifies as blue/red. It could be any score above 80 is a blue, and any score from 75-79 is a red. Or whatever. Any score below that gets no ribbon.

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains

I prefer an add back class at each fence height to blue/red open card. I still like to know how my round stacks up to other horses in the same or similar divisions, not just if I scored in a particular range. But, yes, some sort of warm up round instead of day time school works great!

Sorry. Old fart here. Why do you have schooling in the ring during a show? Used to be that part of being prepared and showing was just going into the ring ( or outside course) and doing it...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Sorry. Old fart here. Why do you have schooling in the ring during a show? Used to be that part of being prepared and showing was just going into the ring ( or outside course) and doing it...
    I agree.

However, red/blue warm ups are a huge money maker for the show, and I don't see them going away any time soon.

Don't forget shows with no warm up rings like winter indoor shows. management of C rated and local schooling show not only can make a few dollars out of a red blue open card but respond to exhibitor demands for more user/green/novice friendly environments.

I agree as the level of competition rises, one should not need a trip in the actual show ring so much. But you will still see a lot of judged warm up rounds called modified or low running open cards with each division instead of schooling breaks.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

add me to the red/blue crowd. Love it. Plus as a show manager you can control the flow of the show by eliminating multiple trips or eliminating the class altogether if the ring has too many trips overall.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by toomanyponies View Post
    one round only of blue red during the day, open schooling in morning until 7:30. works a charm.
    THIS
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    THIS
    Thirded.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    I agree with you and as an exhibitor, I've used a schooling break or open-card class exactly twice: once because I was going to be the first one back in the ring after the break and the schooling ring footing was getting harder than I liked, and the second time because the schooling ring had an ambulance in it. I don't ask my horse to jump extra jumps so that I can learn how to ride the diagonal line or so that he sees the scary flowers. That's homework.

That said, as a starter, I tend to prefer that shows offer an open card warm-up (blue/red, addback, I don't care) to a schooling break. The mid-day schooling break tends to be a black hole time suck. The only time I think a schooling break makes more sense is if you've got a whole bunch of novice-level classes showing in that ring, with varying animal sizes, jump heights, and abilities throughout the day. I do not want to call the EMT before the horse show even started because a short stirrup rider had a steering malfunction and collided with a nervous pre-adult. You can't really give the short stirrup kids a blue/red class. If you add in a mid-day schooling break after the littler kids classes are done, it reduces the odds of the kind of accident that can come with little kids on Shetlands and adults on big horses all milling around with what can be questionable steering, and also helps to keep people from messing around too much with the jumps (since you can't give the pre-adult and the short stirrup an appropriate school over the exact same fence.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Thanks, keep the comments coming. We run a 2nd ring with the S/S thru Pre-Adults...and the schooling breaks are manageable in that ring. It's the main ring that tends to get crazy. The exhibitors in this ring are either Pros, or experienced Juniors/Adults.

Tell me how we would manage canceling the Blue/Red during the day, if we find that we need to do away with it in the interest of time and waning daylight, and not get grief from the exhibitors/trainers? Do we tell them bluntly to "just suck it up"?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

When I've seen it cancelled, it's been done at the start of the day because they already knew how many trips (w/o the inevitable adds) were in the ring (too many!)

But if you see the show drag on, you could limit the horse to one trip, that will shave off a few trips overall.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I seem to be on the other end of this. My association gets wayyy more competitors than the other counties around us and we use a traditional ol' schooling break. The other associations with way LESS people make the show DRAGGG on because of the warm up rounds (even when limited to only one round per horse/rider pair). Just my opinion but I see the shows around here run much faster with a schooling break.
    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
    - quoted by Martha Drum

Quote Originally Posted by TalkIsCheap View Post

Tell me how we would manage canceling the Blue/Red during the day, if we find that we need to do away with it in the interest of time and waning daylight, and not get grief from the exhibitors/trainers? Do we tell them bluntly to "just suck it up"?
    Yes. People might grumble, but it's part of horse showing. I will take a warm-up trip when it's offered, but I don't need one.