The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Yeah Thundershirt!

I know there have been many posts on the Thundershirt, but I really love this product. We are having our first thunderstorm of the season and my border collie is clawing and climbing all over me. I pulled out his Thundershirt and he started wagging his tail. Put the shirt on and he laid down on his bed. I know it doesn't work for all dogs, but it's worth a try for thunder-phobic dogs.
    "Crazy is just another point of view" Sonia Dada

www.longhopes.org

Another huge fan here!! My Walker Coonhound went from a shaking shivering bowl of Jello to calmly curling up for a nap once I got her Thundershirt on her.

Doesn't work for my Beagle/Rat Terrier or my Beagle/Australian Cattle Dog, but is sheer bliss for the Coonhound.

It also works on our Golden IF the storm isn't too severe or is a rumbling in the distance type of storm.

If it's a real boomer-banger where the house shakes, forgetaboutit! He has to be sedated medicinally in addition to the thundershirt.

My cattle dog could care less if the house was in the middle of a hurricane, he just sleeps through it.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I also love them!! My doberman did great with his. My BC mix is better with hers. Not perfect but not her normal anxious mess.

My aunt also has great luck with her mix!!!

It is nice to know there is something out there to try before you leap to chemicals.

The shirt didn't work for my dog and her car anxiety, but I've seen them work great for other dogs, and what a wonderful company. Full refund if it doesn't work for your dog, and they take the used product and donate it to a rescue or shelter. I always suggest people give them a shot.

1 members found this post helpful.

Totally agree, my older BC absolutely delights in hers when there is thunder a-thundering and lightning a-lightning. That is all she needs when it is not too close (as close as 10kms) - but for those times when it is near and close and very very loud - I play with distraction training with a tennis ball (her most fav toy) and close heel work while she wears the TC.
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

My old dog (Std poodle) is going deaf now, so she's doing MUCH better when we have T-storms! She can still see the lightning tho, so I still give her Rescue Remedy (Bach). That stuff works wonders. She gets a dropful, then relaxes / sleeps through the worst of it.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!