The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Exclamation Is anyone near Sandersville Miss. who could help this poor CL horse?!

Weird!!! But I hope someone can help. And definitely go with a buddy!!!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Wow is all I can say. Hopefully someone in the area can help and hopefully they'll work on getting her at least halter-trained!

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I have the feeling that the baling twine around the neck may have been an attempt at halter training that got away from them.

3 members found this post helpful.

I sent him an email telling him to talk to his vet about a feed-through sedative. It sounds like he's not aware they exist.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe someone in the area has some portable cattle pens that they can set up and trap him in there with feed.

Moral of the story: Every horse should be halter broken.

Wishing him lots of luck. At least he admits to his mistakes and is willing to ask for some help.

Since all CL posts go poof in a certain amount of time, here's the ad:

I have a paint walker 16 hands high that is gentle but never trained to ride or even halter trained. More of a pet. This horse has gotten hay twine wrapped around her neck, face, ear, and under her eyes. The twine has started to cut into her ear (proud flesh) and other areas not yet as severe.

I was skilled in roping 40 years ago, but even then, you had to have limited space or be on a horse. I have not been able to rope her to fix this and get a halter on her (like I should have 3 years ago) by chasing her around the approximate 1 acre I can control.
    I need someone experienced with horses, horse training, roping, horse whisperer, horse trainer, etc. that can help me get this horse roped, if necessary "choked down" to get this string that has already cut into her ear and head off her head and neck. And a halter put on her. I am unaware of any meds that would settle her down once roped. I do not have a problem if there is 2 or 3 involved.
    I need this done as soon as possible. My wife is able to hand feed her and brush her from butt to neck, but if close to the face, she won't have it. And if I show up with my rope, (usually I walk up and put my arms around her neck and just play...very gentle) she will not let me within 10-15 yards, even with a feed bucket.
    I am within a mile of downtown Sandersville off the Sandersville-Heidelberg Road.

Help. Please. Soon.

Compensation: $100 total for one or two people *whatever it takes". If a third is needed, I w
    Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    Phone calls about this job are ok.
    Very pretty horse. I hope she gets the twine off, the injuries heal, AND she gets proper training in basic handling and manners soon!
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Pendants, Water Bottles, Totes, Phone Cases, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*
    NEW: Schnauzers, Boxers, Barrel Racers, & Dressage

Horsey Humor, Ponies, Barn Safety & More.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I have the feeling that the baling twine around the neck may have been an attempt at halter training that got away from them.
    What difference would that make? I mean really- does it matter?