The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

OP sounds very generous to begin with, sharing her equipment with the friend. But she has already said she can't afford to have things broken. OP doesn't have training equipment she can use or lend. Only nice stuff she is unwilling to use for a pony that isn't even hers. The wagon in the incident is being repaired already, by the local Shop Class at school.

OP going back with the injured pony to retrain it, can easily be a situation where something might be broken/damaged. It is also not HER pony and she has said she doesn't NEED another pony. I think she has been extremely generous to begin with, and asking more from her is too much. I am not nearly that generous, don't share our stuff at all!

It all comes back to the pony owner, who might be willing to send pony to a Driving trainer or purchase her own equipment to restart the pony. Owner has to step up to the line, decide what she is doing, if she wants to continue Driving. Not up to the OP to train and then dress the pony to use it for Driving. Owner's responsibility! OP is probably quite willing to HELP with retraining in steps to do, lend a hand leading it if needed. OP just can't get sucked into the problem being HER problem to fix. The drain on you never ends then.

Did the owner ever file the police report?

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    OP:
    You say you do not need a 3rd pony, but any chance friend would pay you to retrain her pony?

At least that way pony would have a chance & if you cannot "fix" her within a reasonable time, then at least she could go to auction/sale listed as Not Safe To Drive.
    Friend might not get a decent price, but at least pony would be sold with that caveat.

I don't know. I really hate what I'm afraid is going to happen to this pony but I don't know if we can work anything out. She wants to replace this pony immediately for her granddaughter.

She doesn't have any extra money right now, and whereas I'd be willing to start groundwork on this pony she'd need to be at my place and I'd need to at least be compensated for her feed.

Right now she has pony in a field waiting for the trader I think. I'm out of town for a week. Pony could be gone by the time I get back.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if she has called the Sheriff or not, but I was in our little local gas station/pizza joint the other day and everyone is outraged that the pony was attacked. Apparently this dog has been in trouble before but I don't think it has attacked before. And another man has two dogs in town that have killed a cat and attacked another dog. So our locals are up in arms over the dog problem.

One lady made the unfortunate remark that we shouldn't drive our ponies in town, and everyone disagreed with her. Told me they LOVED seeing the ponies drive through and that I had the right to drive wherever I wanted to!

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Remudamom View Post
    She doesn't have any extra money right now, and whereas I'd be willing to start groundwork on this pony she'd need to be at my place and I'd need to at least be compensated for her feed.

Right now she has pony in a field waiting for the trader I think. I'm out of town for a week. Pony could be gone by the time I get back.

Well, from this info, IIWM, I'd back away.
    Sounds like pony's owner is not going to have the patience to wait for you to work with this pony if she wants an immediate replacement.
    Does she have a clue that next pony could also have an issue? If not immediately then down the road.
    And replacement pony is for her granddaughter?
    They are not machines. Stuff happens.
    From what you say it does not appear friend us willing to allow for this.

Too bad, but like is often said here "you can't fix stupid"

goodhors:
    My suggestion was not meant to include OPs equipment beyond training harness.
    I don't play all that well with others as far as my "stuff" is concerned either.
    You work long & hard to get equipment and a loan to someone not responsible or competent is more than I'd be willing to do.

I just figured if OP could get pony confident w/o being hitched maybe owner would be willing to go the next step and find a trainer to determine if pony could ever be driven again.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009