The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pony attack update

Long story short everything was pretty good until she saw a big dog. It was chained but on a long chain and moving around quite a bit so it looked like it was loose.

She started acting up and trying to turn into the shafts so friend got out to lead her. She couldn't get her hands on the pony who was right on the verge of another meltdown.

She finally caught it's head, I ended up getting out and we began to walk her home. No go. She was just nuts. Since I didn't want to destroy my harness and wagon again we just unhitched her and walked her home with a lot of trouble.

I'm not sure what she's going to do with the pony, and I feel kind of bad that I'm not going to help her re-train, but I've got enough to do with my horses and I don't want to sacrifice my equipment.

The whole thing is just too bad.

Oh horrible. So sorry to hear this.

The dog's owner should be paying for the board while the pony is unusable. Make them hurt for owning a dangerous dog who attacked the pony.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Hopefully she filed a police report and if not do so immediately. At the very least it needs to be on record.

Guys, the dog was on a chain and did not attack the pony at all. Although I am sure he made quite a bit of noise on the end of his chain.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Guys, the dog was on a chain and did not attack the pony at all. Although I am sure he made quite a bit of noise on the end of his chain.
    I believe the referenced dog was the one involved in the original attack.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    You must have missed my original post. Pony was attacked a week before this by an English bull dog that grabbed her lip and did not let go until all hell had broken loose.

One trial does not total failure make. Yiu need to work on this fear issue, slowly and over (a long) time.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

3 members found this post helpful.

Work on the fear issue WITHOUT the carriage. Start by walking her around dogs on a lead rope until she learns to deal with it, then progress to ground driving etc. before trying to actually drive around the dogs.

IF (BIG IF) she is ok driving without dogs around you could school under very controlled conditions, just make sure she doesn't meet a dog while hooked until she can handle it unhooked.

Christa

I would absolutely re-train if she was my pony. I'm pretty sure she'd come out of it. But I'm not the owner and I don't need three driving ponies.

The owner has already called a horse trader she knows. I wouldn't be surprised it the pony gets dumped at the Amish community near here and then re-sold after a month or so. 8(

I keep my original opinion...the dog attacked livestock and should be killed...doesn't matter how "nice" the owner is.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

I hate to think what might happen to the pony for something that was NOT her fault... sheesh... poor horsemanship on the part of the owner if she does not even give retraining a try....

6 members found this post helpful.

I have no respect or empathy for an owner who would just "dump" a terrified pony at such an auction and to a dubious and very unhappy life. No conscience there for sure. How disgusting! First the pony is attacked then has a life punishment for being attacked! What kind of people have horses?
    PennyG

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by TKR View Post
    I have no respect or empathy for an owner who would just "dump" a terrified pony at such an auction and to a dubious and very unhappy life. No conscience there for sure. How disgusting! First the pony is attacked then has a life punishment for being attacked! What kind of people have horses?
    PennyG
    Yeah, it's bothering me too. If I had a training cart and an inexpensive harness I'd try to talk her into it. I'd like to start completely over with her on groundwork. But I'm not going to use my new Meadowbrook.

PennyG
    Aside from that, does she have no consceience to worry about the people (children?) who might be hurt when they go out driving this pony, not knowing its issues?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

PennyG
    DITTO, SHAME ON YOUR SUPERFICIAL FRIEND
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

PennyG
    DITTO, SHAME ON YOUR SUPERFICIAL FRIEND
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Well don't go jumping on the super shaming bandwagon- the friend didn't do any of this yet- it was speculation that she might... there is a big difference.

I guess someone who said THEY would retrain this pony should take said pony. I am so tired of people saying ranting but not stepping up to the mark!

sheesh, its ok to complain but be a part of the solution!

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

OP:
    You say you do not need a 3rd pony, but any chance friend would pay you to retrain her pony?

At least that way pony would have a chance & if you cannot "fix" her within a reasonable time, then at least she could go to auction/sale listed as Not Safe To Drive.
    Friend might not get a decent price, but at least pony would be sold with that caveat.

This coming from a Driving Newb who is currently into Year 3 of retraining a pony who had a bad crash.
    He came to me as a freebie after spending 2 years in a pasture by himself.
    We've gone from near-feral to a pony who will come up to me and can be ground-driven and long-lined.

Driving-savvy neighbor has offered to help me see if my pony can be hitched, and finally I think we're at the point where that will not result in a setback.
    If I'm wrong, my pony can stay here in his original intended role of companion to my horse.
    If it works out I get a driving pony
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009