The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage, Bareback

Ran out of time last night and needed to do some dressage. So I hoped on bareback. We rocked! I could feel what my boy was doing so much better (duh!), and honestly felt I was riding with alot more fluidity. Got me thinking. Wouldn't it be fun to show up at an event and do the Dressage bareback? I have not had time to check the rules...but I think if I could pull it off I might earn extra credit with a judge.

Or is that cheating??

There was an ad for a horse, or maybe a trainer who was advertising that she'd taken her horse to Grand Prix dressage never using a saddle.

It didn't say "Grand Prix movements" or "Grand Prix equivalent"

I always wondered how she got to Grand Prix showing with out a saddle

1 members found this post helpful.

My coach can do all the GP movements bareback -- her stallion, who is now in his late 20s, routinely schooled GP bareback. She showed in a saddle, of course.

OP, if you are interested in doing this longterm, look into a serious bareback pad. I borrowed one from a friend when my horse was rehabbing and didn't fit his saddle -- I could do everything I know how to do (roughly 3rd level on this horse) in that pad...sheepskin, with a girth. Heaven!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

1 members found this post helpful.

One of the most fun things I've done was riding an I2 horse bareback and doing piaffe and passage that way.

We got into this discussion on the dressage board and it started such a crap storm! Some of us love riding our horses bareback and would love to ride a test that way.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

No bareback dressage for me! My horses all seem to have extreme withers. I miss the squishy ponies I had as a kid-- I can't stand to do more than walk on the guys I have now.

I like to cheat and use my Dover brand poly pad type saddle pad with an elastic blanket surcingle. Nice padding, easy to wash, but not terribly secure. I guess it helps me with my seat?
    Pisgah: 2000 AHHA (Holsteiner x TB) Mare (lower level eventing, with a focus on dressage)

Darcy: 7? year old Border Collie x Rottweiler? Drama Queen extraordinaire, rescued from the pound in Jan 2010

I'm with Highflyer my horse's withers make doing anything bareback torture!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

Would your trainer have had an ad or story in the Equiery about that? I think the person I saw had a stallion.

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    My coach can do all the GP movements bareback -- her stallion, who is now in his late 20s, routinely schooled GP bareback. She showed in a saddle, of course.

OP, if you are interested in doing this longterm, look into a serious bareback pad. I borrowed one from a friend when my horse was rehabbing and didn't fit his saddle -- I could do everything I know how to do (roughly 3rd level on this horse) in that pad...sheepskin, with a girth. Heaven!

I am blessed to have a lovely round Appendix QH, so I don't need a bareback pad. But I could see needing one with a Boney Pony.
    Alas, after looking at the Rule Book I need to get back in the Saddle to enter a competition! But I truly think bareback is a wonderful way to loosen up and connect with your horse. And doing Dressage is really a trip!