The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry Saddle?

So I have a new to me used antares saddle, which I brought home and cleaned vigorously then conditioned with the Leather CPR conditioner. I put the cover on and when i uncovered it two days later at the barn, I found it had profusely dry patches just behind where the stirrup leathers are. I put some deep conditioner and it seemed to fix the problem, But I was wondering why this happened because I don't know what I did wrong. Thanks in advance!

What did you clean it with? Leather therapy isnt' the best moisturizer IME, and depending on what type of soap you have will dictate how much it dried the leather (I suspect using glycerine soap or something that isnt' so drying will help in the future).

Use anything with "balsm" in the name, passier or effax lederbalsm or other things along that line....

ditto the balsam. That stuff conditions pretty deeply. I use it probably once every few weeks (depending on the season) and inbetween use either castille soap, or Mad Cow.

well... you *could* use the product that fellow COTHers are raving about here in the eventing forum... *shameless plug*
    I have Higher Standards... do you?
    Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
    Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
    Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

1 members found this post helpful.

I dislike Leather CPR and found it made my saddle very slippery. I love my Belvior conditioner though!

Hate leather CPR (except for leather chairs, belts, and paddock boots); however I love the leather therapy line. It has always helped me after a day of rain riding.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים