The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Schooling show attire when it is COLD!

I've entered an outdoor schooling show and the high temperature is supposed 47 and 14 mph winds out of the NW. I have attire for a recognized show but am wondering if I can wear some of my normal schooling attire. I have a dark colored longish Kerrits windproof coat. Can I wear half chaps?
    Thanks, I've mostly done recognized shows and all shows when it is HOT

I believe half chaps are generally allowed, so long as they appear to match your paddock boots - this is for recognized shows, at lower levels. So shouldn't be a problem for a schooling show. I also think the Kerrits coat should be fine. Another alternative would be to warm up in whatever keeps you from freezing, then show only in a solid color sweater w/ turtleneck. Remember, its only five minutes +/- that you would suffer! So long as you look neat, it shouldn't matter.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

My friend who rode her Century Ride this Saturday wore a fitted dark fleece zipped jacket in the cold-it looked very neat and tidy.
    I have shown at a rated show in the freezing cold and sleet before-I think I wore long underwear and a turtle neck under my show jacket. A fitted vest of some sort would probably also look nice.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

Underarmour turtleneck with a sweater and vest if very cold. I usually do breeches and boots, although I will wear my my insulated Mountain Horse tall boots if its awful.

I usually do normal breeches and boots (though I have worn my fleece lined ones before), a long sleeved polo and a north face jacket in white or black. I've even had friends wear pink fleece jackets and no one said anything, but I think as long as it looks conservative and is fitted, it should be fine

Thank you all for the comments. It was REALLY cold and WINDY this morning. I wore my schooling gear, which is tasteful. This was my horses first test and we placed 2nd with a score of 59.671%. Very happy rider and I scratched for the afternoon, just too cold and windy.

Default For heaven's sake...don't any of you have

nice wool hacking jackets and real stock ties?