The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Choose a Feed

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Triple Crown Senior

31 72.09%
  • Triple Crown Complete

2 4.65%
  • Purina Ultium

5 11.63%
  • Pennfield Fibergized

5 11.63%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My 8 yo OTTB gets TC Senior, good pasture, and that is it!
    No mesing with supplements or additives, nothing. His coat is gleaming and his hooves have improved. No need for me to add flax for skin or Biotin for feet. TC Senior has some Biotin in it and good fats for a nice coat (must be enough for me to notice)

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's got plenty of fat for most horses in work. "in work" does not really mean a horse needs so much more of X nutrient by default. I think this "oh, he's in work he needs more fat" is something that people have decided must be the case these days and I'm not sure why.

That doesn't mean no horse doesn't benefit from a bit more fat in the diet (even outside the EPSM horses). But it really isn't correct to say that a feed that has a normal/average fat level of 3-4% is not suitable for a horse just because he's in work. So many horses "in work" are only in pretty moderate work, nothing remotely hard, and not very often *needing* more fat

TC Complete is 20% NSC. Ultium is about 18% - not that different

TC Sr is in another category down at under 12%.
    TC complete is 20%, last I checked with Purina, Ultium is 16%. I guess it's a matter of opinions, but I feel that's a big enough difference. For me, I don't consider anything above 17% to be "Low NSC." ETA---I don't think 20% is "high" in the scheme of things and other feeds out there, I just wouldn't group it with the "low" feeds.

I suppose it's your individual case that matters, but TC senior has 10% fat, while Ultium has a little over 12%. TC senior also has slighly lower fiber than Ultium. This is also a matter of opinion, but I like the fact that the Ultium has extruded "nuggets" in it--in my opinion I find extruded feeds to be more beneficial for hard keepers likely because they are more digestible. We feed both of these feeds at my barn (I don't feed either---I bring in my own and feed Blue Seal Sentinel Performance LS which is 100% extruded), but we have issues keeping weight on horses with the TC senior who are hard keepers and/or in moderate to heavy work. However, these same horses gained weight and were able to have their portion size decreased on the Ultium. These horses are fed free choice (high quality) Timothy/Orchard Grass mix when inside, and GOOD pasture when outside (about 6 hrs/day). With that said, the senior horses at the barn who are not in work or only light work, and the "easy keepers" maintain weight well on TC senior. Just my opinions!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    TC complete is 20%, last I checked with Purina, Ultium is 16%.
    If Ultium has come down to 16%, that's great. I'd love to know if it's 16 or 18, though in that range it probably doesn't matter.

I guess it's a matter of opinions, but I feel that's a big enough difference. For me, I don't consider anything above 17% to be "Low NSC." ETA---I don't think 20% is "high" in the scheme of things and other feeds out there, I just wouldn't group it with the "low" feeds.
    No, I don't consider 20% low either, but when it was a difference of 20 vs 18, it wasn't enough difference to matter, to me. 20 vs 16 *could* make a difference for some horses, I agree

I suppose it's your individual case that matters, but TC senior has 10% fat, while Ultium has a little over 12%. TC senior also has slighly lower fiber than Ultium.
    10% is a *high* fat product already, higher than most horses actually need. 12% is even higher (obviously) and just not a true need for most horses. Horses are not designed to require higher levels of fat. I realize they also weren't designed to jump courses or turn barrels but it still remains that most horses just do not work hard enough to ever really benefit from, much less need, so much extra fat in their diet.

Fiber is almost irrelevant here, just not an issue for horses getting enough forage from hay and/or grass.

This is also a matter of opinion, but I like the fact that the Ultium has extruded "nuggets" in it--in my opinion I find extruded feeds to be more beneficial for hard keepers likely because they are more digestible.
    Textured, extruded, they each have their purpose, some horses do better on one over another, extrusion does tend to make something more digestible, but TC has quality enough ingredients that they're already pretty well digestible. I think it's much less about our opinion than whatever factually works better for a given horse

We feed both of these feeds at my barn (I don't feed either---I bring in my own and feed Blue Seal Sentinel Performance LS which is 100% extruded), but we have issues keeping weight on horses with the TC senior who are hard keepers and/or in moderate to heavy work. However, these same horses gained weight and were able to have their portion size decreased on the Ultium.
    I think the calorie difference is 1900 vs 1500 Ultium to Sr (Sr might be 1700?) so that alone can cause an increase. But, I totally understand there are horses who simply do not do well on a given feed, no matter how well others do.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post

I think the calorie difference is 1900 vs 1500 Ultium to Sr (Sr might be 1700?)
    Good to know, thanks! I've been wondering this, but awhile back I couldn't seem to find it available online for one or both. Is that per kg or lb? I'm asking bc there is an owner who is reluctant to switch her horse from the TC senior to the Ultium and I was trying to give her reasons (her horse is on waaaay to much lbs per feeding and needs more weight), and I was trying to find this info.
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Nevermind--I was bored and called them just out of curiosity (1550kcal/lb TC senior, 1700 TC complete, 1900 Ultium). Makes sense!