The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Choose a Feed

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Triple Crown Senior

31 72.09%
  • Triple Crown Complete

2 4.65%
  • Purina Ultium

5 11.63%
  • Pennfield Fibergized

5 11.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which low NSC feed would you choose?

-Triple Crown Senior
    -Triple Crown Complete
    - Purina Ultium
    - Pennfield Fibergized

OK, taking the bull by the horns and going to try to switch my OTTB to a better feed. I have Triple Crown, Blue Seal, Purina, Nutrena, Legends and Pennfield as options.

Horse is a 6y/o OTTB gelding, in light work right now, suspected ulcers, talking with vet about possibility of Lyme. Has had one major colic episode (impaction) that resolved without surgery. Out on 24/7 turnout with lots of grass right now. Getting Sel+E, electrolytes and flax seed in addition to grain. Started ulcer treatment last week. Trying to get a lower NSC grain, these four I know I can get locally and are priced roughly the same.

I had suggested Pennfields in the other thread so I'm a bit biased!

I used to use Purina but got away from it due to them not using a fixed formula and the fact that it isn't generally regarded as a premium quality feed. I've had some problems with Strategy and behavioral issues with a few horses, so that sealed the deal on switching to a different brand. I've heard good and bad on the Ultium.

Tried Triple Crown Senior on the hard keeper horse here but didn't get the results I was hoping for, although it has a good reputation as a quality feed.

The Pennfields Fibergized Omega has added fat and all the horses on the Pennfields look good. I did have to up the rations on the hard keeper, so his weight gain could be a combo of increased feed, higher quality feed and spring grass. I will say that the Pennfields line seems very palatable to the horses and you can also soak the Fibergized if you have a horse that needs it. That was one of the big reasons I switched the older hard keeper to that because his teeth aren't in the greatest shape either.

I have used Blue Seal Sentinel Sr. It's an ok feed. I used it because the ancient horse that was here came here on that feed and I didn't want to switch.

Is your horse a picky eater? Maybe you could get taste testers of the different feeds and see which he seems to like best.

What is NSC?

Why not do a ration balancer and add in some high fat low NSC "supplement" type feed such as Omegatin. Omegatin and other feeds like it can also be used as a complete feed depending on how much you feed of it. Then you can add in things such as oil, and/or alfalfa cubes (a good source of additional long stem fibre and alfalfa can be good for ulcer-prone horses), etc. if your horse needs more calories.

My hard keeping Thoroughbred has done fantastic on this type of diet. I like not having to give him such high quantities of feed. This is especially nice with ulcer-prone horses. My horse lost some weight with the horrible heat and drought last summer but now that he's picked up the weight again he's back down to 2 1/2 - 3 pounds of his ration balancer (Progressive ProAdvantage Grass Formula) and 2 pounds of Omegatin per day. So he gets less than 2 1/2 pounds of "grain" per feeding as opposed to him needing 13-20 pounds a day of something like Purina's senior feed. Or 8-10 pounds / day of Purina's Ultium. And feed such as that is also going to have a much higher NSC content.
    Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Don't throw away opportunities because they aren't coming in exactly the form you want them to.

How many calories does he need? I voted TC Senior, but if he's an uber hard keeper, I would probably go with Ultium, which has the most calories.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Triple Crown Senior- hands down!

Triple Crown Senior or Blue Seal Performance LS would be my choices! TC Complete is NOT considered a low NSC feed. I'm not a fan of Purina though lots of people like the Ultium and have seen good results. I can't comment on Pennfield - no place in my area carries it.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Since Triple Crown is an option, what about their balanced timothy cubes?
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

I have used purina sr healthy edge, ultium, and triple crown sr. I realize that the tc senior is regarded by most as being the superior product, but my horses look best on ultium and senior healthy edge (for the senior mare), so that is what I use. I have an 8 yr old tb and use about 3 lbs ultium and a lb of alfalfa pellets plus his vitamins and supps for lunch and he looks great

I love TC senior.

I've been using Purina Senior because I can get it very close to my farm, but I have not been impressed with it.

Pennfield, Pennfield, Pennfield.

That stuff rocks.

Second choice would be TC Senior (the Fibergized is far more palatable. Even Neigh, who'll eat anything, snubbed his nose at his TC Senior when he moved down here and discovered Fibergized).

I have a barn full of fat, glossy, mostly quiet TBs...Pennfield, and specifically Fibergized Omega, is the key to taht.

1 members found this post helpful.

I love the TC Senior as well as the Fibregized. I voted TC but since the Fibregized is easier to get and a little cheaper I switched over to the Fibregized mixed with beet pulp shreds and alfalfa pellets. He's been on it for about 8 months and my TB is fat and shiney.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Fibergized, generally. But for a truly IR horse, I would feed Purina Wellsolve, which is not on your list.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Fibergized, generally. But for a truly IR horse, I would feed Purina Wellsolve, which is not on your list.
    This 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

None. I feed plain alfalfa pellets, add in rice bran and beet pulp as needed with a good supplement. Works the best for me and is soy free which is very important for my horses.

I don't see anything mentioning any hint of the horse being IR though, not even suspected

I picked the TC Sr because of its high quality, but the Fibergized would be a good choice too for the top pick.

Ultium is not THAT much higher in calories, and it is higher in NSC, so for now, if the goal is to keep NSC on the lower side for the sake of the ulcers, the TC would be better. You can really feed a lot of that if you need to. I think the "lots of grass" will be the biggest help with the ulcers at this point.

Ration balancers are great, as you can start with a low amount of sugars in the meal, then add low sugar things for calories, but yeah, if he needs lots of calories, that gets $$$ quickly. However, it may well be an option down the road if either he gets too fat on the Sr and all the grass, or an option now if he's already in good weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    How many calories does he need? I voted TC Senior, but if he's an uber hard keeper, I would probably go with Ultium, which has the most calories.
    ^ I agree with this. TC Senior is great, but it doesn't have enough fat for horses in work and/or those who are hard keepers. Ultium is another great option for that. I can't comment on Pennfield's as I'm not familiar with it, and TC Complete is actually too high NSC for me too compare to either TC Senior or Ultium.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Like others have mentioned, the TC Complete is not a low starch feed, as the NSC is ~20%. I would go for TC Senior first. I really like Pennfield's Fibergized, but the TC Sr. is about as good a product and quite a bit cheaper in my neck of the woods (southeast).
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    ^ I agree with this. TC Senior is great, but it doesn't have enough fat for horses in work and/or those who are hard keepers.
    It's got plenty of fat for most horses in work. "in work" does not really mean a horse needs so much more of X nutrient by default. I think this "oh, he's in work he needs more fat" is something that people have decided must be the case these days and I'm not sure why.

That doesn't mean no horse doesn't benefit from a bit more fat in the diet (even outside the EPSM horses). But it really isn't correct to say that a feed that has a normal/average fat level of 3-4% is not suitable for a horse just because he's in work. So many horses "in work" are only in pretty moderate work, nothing remotely hard, and not very often *needing* more fat

TC Complete is actually too high NSC for me too compare to either TC Senior or Ultium.
    TC Complete is 20% NSC. Ultium is about 18% - not that different

TC Sr is in another category down at under 12%.