The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

1 members found this post helpful.

Nope!
    Especially not in the Spring when love is in the air.
    You are what you dare.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

oy...they cranked up at 3am last night....I think the sprinklers look like they might at least keep them away from my window!
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

That automatic sprinkler was the ONLY way I ever found (and we tried everything!) to keep ducks out of our swimming pool during duck mating season. It worked awesomely, except in the evenings when I got home from work I would regularly forget I had set it in the morning, and get sprayed. Made for a lot of laughs. The sprinkler would surely work with peacocks, too.
    --o0o--

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I used a similar approach to make one of the roving neighborhood raccoons rove (and dig and turn over pots) elsewhere. S/he showed up at about 8 pm each night so I set the automatic sprinklers to go on then.

I suppose that sending the peacocks to Bruce Davidson would be out of the question? http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...8221;-davidson

So when is mating season over?
    carolprudm

i have no answers for you, as the one at my barn is not very talkative, but that may be because he's alone. the property owner's wife told me i could have him when i buy my own place, but now i'm having second thoughts! i may just be her "way to shut up" her husband's peacock!

and peggy, i have to ask...where do your parents live??
    My mare wonders about all this fuss about birth control when she's only seen a handful of testicles in her entire life. Living with an intact male of my species, I feel differently! WAYSIDE

I have a pair. I like them very well, thank you! But, like the chickens, I shut them up in the coop at night so I don't have them screaming in a tree all night.

2 members found this post helpful.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

DieBlaueReiterin - Rolling Hills Estates, specifically the Dapple Gray area which is pretty much ground zero for the things.

The feathers drop around July so that should be the end of the worst of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    We have no neighbors, but I think my boss lady would not like it if I shot them
    I think your boss lady would be over the moon if you did

(best to have an alibi though just in case)

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I think your boss lady would be over the moon if you did

(best to have an alibi though just in case)
    Haha. she doesnt live here....only I do. They started at 2 am last night...sigh
    carolprudm

So you quit the job in OHio, went back to SC, took a job there, and now do not like the peacocks that are owned by your employer? You should not mess with the animals belonging to your employer. Everyone knows that peacocks get up early and make noise. If you don't like the birds which I presume are owned by your employer, either quit the job and head back to CT or Ohio, or get some ear plugs.

Weren't you complaining around Christmas time about your Ohio employer's dog "yapping?" Seems like you don't like much about any of your employers and their animals.

could you please go back to the hole you crawled out from, or at least own up to who you are and tell me why you have such a personal vendetta against me in person?
    carolprudm

6 members found this post helpful.

Peacocks are beautiful birds, and it's just wrong to take a job and then solicit ways to dispose of them. They belong to the owner. If you are so unhappy, why did you take that job?

What is your problem? The OP has said several times that they belong to the property owner and she does not want to kill them, only move them out of the tree next to her bedroom window.

Is it so wrong for someone to complain about being jarred awake at 3am by screaming birds? Their beauty has nothing to do with it.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by tidy wabbit View Post
    Peacocks are beautiful birds, and it's just wrong to take a job and then solicit ways to dispose of them. They belong to the owner. If you are so unhappy, why did you take that job?
    Clearly you have never had to live with peacocks. Obviously they belong to OPs employer and she will not kill them because they are not her birds. There is nothing wrong with wanting a full nights sleep!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

3 members found this post helpful.

...well, like Tidywabbit said, she should never have taken the job, should have slept over for a couple of sleeps to test the place out, etc.....just kidding, just kidding. Who would have known, and a job is a job and most people need one.

Maybe, OP could ask the owner if they could be penned at night in a rather dark peacock house?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

The barn where I keep my horse has peacocks. And she normally puts them in the chicken stall with all the other animals at night. But I also think that she can sleep through their noise anyways.
    I love having them at the barn, they are perfect for bombproofing, but I also don't sleep there
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Clearly you have never had to live with peacocks. Obviously they belong to OPs employer and she will not kill them because they are not her birds. There is nothing wrong with wanting a full nights sleep!
    Amen! I used to think peacocks were so cool and wow it would be so neat to have one and yadda yadda. Uh, no longer! There are tons of wild peacocks around here, MANY of which live @/around my current barn. And, ohmyGAWD, they are so flipping annoying! Every time I see someone with a peacock-themed wedding or whatever, I think, "Clearly, this person has little to no real-life experience with peacocks!"

1 members found this post helpful.

Our peacockk that our neighbor left behind would be quiet if we got him in with our chickens. After a while he got into the routine and just followed them into the hen house. Maybe ask your boss if you can lock them up at night