The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do my horse show pics tell me about my jumping?

I showed this weekend and we got some good ribbons. I was excited to visit the photographer's booth, thinking we'd have some nice photos. WRONG!

In all my pics, my horse's front legs are either uneven or slightly skewed to the side. Or he was making a mad face. I was showing 3' this weekend - and plenty of people in my division had lovely photos. We got two 79's in 2 classics, so I'm pretty sure my horse was jumping better than the pics showed.

Any tips for creating that beautiful hunter look with nice square knees? Do I need to get a bit deeper so he jumps up and around - or a bit longer so he stretches over the top of the jump? Is this something I can influence as a rider - or not?

BTW, I want to give a shout out to Andrew Ryback photography! Remember the photographer train-wreck a while back where all the exhibitors were complaining about pricing and all the photogs were complaining about cost and declining revenues? Well, these people have figured it out and are offering packages that exhibitors want. They sell digital images with a release for $25 each, or you can get all your pics from the entire show for $125!!!! You go, Andrew Ryback!!!!
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~

Do keep in mind that the timing of a photo makes all the difference.

5 members found this post helpful.

Some horses just aren't photogenic over jumps. It's a bummer, but I've known some really nice horses that require you to work oddly hard just to get one great jump shot. Fortunately judges don't judge split seconds in time.

Video is more revealing if you're trying to learn something, I'd start my self-critique there.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse looks like a cow in pictures under 3'6. He's pretty to watch but just doesn't photograph well until the jumps go up.

Congrats on your show!!
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I looked at your pictures on the photographers website. LOVE your horse. He looks very athletic, he probably isn't trying all that hard at 3'. His knees are up, it's more his forelegs that are uneven, and he still has a lovely round jump. I bet he'd be tighter below the knee over bigger jumps
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    I looked at your pictures on the photographers website. LOVE your horse. He looks very athletic, he probably isn't trying all that hard at 3'. His knees are up, it's more his forelegs that are uneven, and he still has a lovely round jump. I bet he'd be tighter below the knee over bigger jumps
    Thanks, BGH, but I just checked the photog's website and I can't find any pics from this past weekend at Ledges. Where did you find them?
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~