The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Okay, so this is cool. I turned everyone out together today and stayed to watch how that was going to go. Both Cooper and Rocky thought they were going to give the little guy some trouble -- snake heads and teeth bared, running at him.

When Elijah -- all 17 hands and 1,500 lbs of him -- stepped right in their path. Yes, they would have to get through Eli to get to Parker. Elijah never bared his teeth or pinned his ears. He just stood there and LOOKED at them. I swear he SHAMED them. With a few huffy snorts, Cooper and Rocky turned around, calmed down and went to eating grass.

Then Eli's head went down to eat, too. Little Parker just stood there -- watching it all. I wonder if he ever had a body guard before??
    How wonderful!
    Horses find their own ways to get along and most times they just do.
    Glad that they have sorted that out by themselves.
    That is a good boss horse you have there.
    That he accepted Parker right off also speaks well about Parker's disposition.
    Horses know.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

KR:
    Yay! That your herd is sorting itself out w/o much trouble.

A communicator once told me my farm had the "spirit of horse" - not meaning anything ghostly, but that the place seemed made for horses.
    Your farm seems to have the same spirit.

When does DGD get to meet her pony?????
    Of course, pics will be mandatory.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2Dogs -- we have been blasted with these storms, and more coming this afternoon. So, pony is very muddy and dirty, and to be honest, so is everything else! My plan is to wait until the sun comes out again, mud dries up a bit and pony gets a bath. When he is all shined up, I'll go get the granddaughter.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sigh, I hear ya.
    Your storms are headed my way - due this afternoon.
    Farmers worked like crazy all last week to get fields planted, so the timing is right for them.
    Of course I'd prefer more dry weather so hay can start getting cut and my excavator can start on my No More Mud EVER project for the paddock.
    But ​noone tells Nature what to do!

Hope the Cute Meet is soon for the KR grandkid & Parker.

Off now to mow my lawns before the rain starts!
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Yeah! for Eli...

What a treasure he turned out to be. You gave him a home and he gave you - and the farm - his heart.

Sweet that Eli is a body guard. I hope the others don't get Parker alone.

I'm so happy for you! (I wish I had a pony!)

I'll never forget being surprised with a gift pony when I was young. He was dappled grey.. Great times to look back on.

Such a wonderful thing for you to do for your family. Well done you!

2 members found this post helpful.

I think everyone is getting tired of me gushing about this pony! Ha ha -- he's just such a truly wonderful little guy and so beautiful!

Looks to me like the herd has settled down. I am working from my home office today and can watch them. Parker is thoroughly enjoying running about the farm and exploring. The others just follow. I even saw them all grazing together for a bit.

There will no shenanigans from Cooper and Rocky now that Elijah has laid down the law. Eli is that "strong, silent type." He doesn't get mean, he just becomes ... immovable! When King was here, we referred to King as the Chairman of the Board, and Elijah as The Enforcer! So no, when Eli puts his hoof down -- and he has -- the others will not cross him.

Keep right on gushing, KR! I love every minute of it!

And I don't know about "Elijah the Enforcer" - I was thinking "Elijah the Peacekeeper" - and it's wonderful to hear how happy Elijah is, too. I remember that he seemed to be at loose ends when you all lost King, and it sounds like Parker is going to be good for him, too!

You put out goodness, and it surely does come right back to you, many times over.

So happy for you, KR! And what a lovely pony! Nice bone, good mover. Thanks for sharing such great pictures.

The granddaughter-Parker meet-up is scheduled for Thursday night! We are going to bathe Parker and braid his mane Thursday afternoon. Pizza party at Nonni's house Thursday ... shhhhh ... she doesn't know about the pony!

6 members found this post helpful.

I'm voting for this thread to be "stickied" so KR can continue to keep us updated, share pictures, etc. I'm talking about long-term
    This thread has been like a little mini-series and I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting it to end! Can't wait for the Thursday night "episode."
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

5 members found this post helpful.

The granddaughter-Parker meet-up is scheduled for Thursday night! We are going to bathe Parker and braid his mane Thursday afternoon. Pizza party at Nonni's house Thursday ... shhhhh ... she doesn't know about the pony!
    How do you plan to present Parker to her?
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Make sure you feed her first, otherwise, she'll likely be so excited about Parker, she'll forget to eat! (I know I would, and I'm certainly old enough to know better!)

Can't wait to read the report on Friday morning!

My plan for the Lexi / Parker meetup is to have Parker all shined up and braid ribbons into his mane, have him in the cross-ties out in the barn -- which would put him out of sight when you first walk-in, so she couldn't see him just by looking down at the barn. Then, I'm hoping to have DH standing with Parker and one of my sons with a camera. When they arrive, I'll ask Lexi to come with me to the barn to feed before dinner. Hopefully, we will actually get all the way into the barn before she sees him.

The rest will just have to play out.

I'm wanting to be a bit careful that she realizes Parker is for her, but not exclusively for her -- that he is a family pony. I don't think that will be a problem, she had that special relationship with King, but knew it wasn't exclusive. I think she'll be fine with that.

My plan for the Lexi / Parker meetup is to have Parker all shined up and braid ribbons into his mane, have him in the cross-ties out in the barn -- which would put him out of sight when you first walk-in, so she couldn't see him just by looking down at the barn. Then, I'm hoping to have DH standing with Parker and one of my sons with a camera. When they arrive, I'll ask Lexi to come with me to the barn to feed before dinner. Hopefully, we will actually get all the way into the barn before she sees him.

The rest will just have to play out.

I'm wanting to be a bit careful that she realizes Parker is for her, but not exclusively for her -- that he is a family pony. I don't think that will be a problem, she had that special relationship with King, but knew it wasn't exclusive. I think she'll be fine with that.
    That I bolded is very good thinking, takes some pressure off the heavy responsibility of Parker being "her" horse.
    We know how serious good kids can get with such a weight on their shoulders.
    Knowing that Parker is a horse in your barn first will help give her first dibs at Parker truly "being" her horse after all, but sharing him too.

You say we may be getting tired of Parker stories?
    No way!

Default Update: The Fourth Night

Parker came to us with one known vice: they told us he was hard to catch! Well, Saturday, Sunday and Monday nights I had to coax him in by shaking the grain bucket.

But tonight ...

My routine is to set up the stalls and then open the back door of the barn and call my boys in for dinner, "Elijah, Cooper, Rockeee." They come in single-file, each to their own stall.

Tonight I called, "Elijah, Cooper, Rocky, Parker." And they all came in single-file, each to their own stall. Yes! Mr. Parker came right in, pranced into his own stall, with nary a moment's hesitation. No coaxing. No shaking the grain bucket. Just like he'd been doing it all his life!

Yay for Parker! He is one smart cookie!

10 members found this post helpful.

He has been paying attention... love the creatures who learn by watching.

Have fun with Parker's spa day .. and introduction to his little girl!

We are gearing up now for his bath, clipping, braiding and ribbons. The Lexi-Parker meet-up is scheduled for 6 p.m. ... she thinks it's just a pizza party at Nonni's house. I have to say that I am beyond excited!

4 members found this post helpful.

We are gearing up now for his bath, clipping, braiding and ribbons. The Lexi-Parker meet-up is scheduled for 6 p.m. ... she thinks it's just a pizza party at Nonni's house. I have to say that I am beyond excited!

LOL, me too!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.