The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default UPDATE: Parker Meets The Granddaughter, Page 10: Solid Citizen, Fun Family Horse

Somewhere out there is a small gelding holding a winning lottery ticket. I just need to find him!

Yes, we are decidedly on the hunt now for a small (14.2h to 15h) gelding to join our family. He must be a solid citizen, need not be particularly talented, but with a good attitude and kid-safe. He could be in his mid to late teens. If he were a paint or a pinto, at least one little girl would be delighted. He does not need to be fancy, run barrels, jump fences, or piaffe. He needs to like kids and be a good sport.

Some of you know about Rocky, he's the steady-Eddie I bought for DH a couple of years ago. Kid-safe, all-around quiet and a fun ride. Well, he cannot take everyone at once! We are welcoming a horse-crazy 8-year-old girl into the family -- she joins a horse-crazy 5-year-old girl, an eager 12-year-old boy, and a promising 18-month old boy (no, he's not riding, but he does love the horses).

This little guy will want for nothing in terms of care, love and attention.

Now -- where do I find him? Probably not on Craigslist, right? I'm not looking for a project or someone else's catastrophe.

I am not in a hurry, but where do I start?
    Last edited by King's Ransom; May. 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

Check local riding schools, trail riding stables for leads, vets, farriers?

You are pretty much describing my Mustang, down to height and color!
    Except he was only 8 - vetted 100% sound by a very thorough sport horse vet.

(Sold him last year though...)

PS: i know that's not helping but to answer your question i emailed his ad to some area trainers I knew and trusted and one of them had a client that was a perfect fit.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Try Changing Leads Rescue just outside of KC. They recently moved from Woodson Hill up North of KC to Due West Ranch in KS. Also, keep your eyes peeled on CL and FB, as there may be something suitable. On Fb, look at the Saddlebred Match page, which often has either horses previously rescued and rehabbed, or lower priced critters. I will try to remember to let you know if I happen to discover one that might work out for you.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Find a cutting horse prospect than couldn't quite make it in the show ring. They are incredibly broke, usually not scared of much, if anything, and generally all around solid citizens who have been hauled around and seen a lot. And, due to the nature of cutting, generally on the smaller side. The National Cutting Horse Association has a list of trainers on their website, so I would start by contacting one of them. www.nchacutting.com

Good luck on your search!

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    Find a cutting horse prospect than couldn't quite make it in the show ring. They are incredibly broke, usually not scared of much, if anything, and generally all around solid citizens who have been hauled around and seen a lot. And, due to the nature of cutting, generally on the smaller side. The National Cutting Horse Association has a list of trainers on their website, so I would start by contacting one of them. www.nchacutting.com

Good luck on your search!
    Cutting horses are not very apt to be paints, but do check with stables that show in the paint or open circuit and in local 4H and kid's playdays.

I found one of those on dreamhorse.com. I did a search under "ranch horses" and found a 5 year old Paint gelding who had worked on a ranch herding cattle and mules. He's worth his weight in gold. I put in adjacent states since I didn't want to travel far to see him, but ended up just buying him off of the video they sent and several conversations. He was exactly as advertised. IMHO a true ranch horse has to be broke, broke, broke. He's now 11 and packs my 7 year old grandson around happily.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

dreamhorse.com and equine.com will be good sources. Occasionally you'll strike gold on craigslist too. I know someone who got a 4 y/o App mare, started well, directly from the breeder, nice as they came, from craigslist. So they are out there. Also word of mouth - speak to local lesson programs, they may have kids looking to sell first horses, or lesson ponies/horses who need a less demanding job, etc.
    Last edited by Event4Life; May. 7, 2013 at 07:57 PM.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Well I've had great luck with dreamhorse! Also with Montana Horses. But with DH you can put in your selection criteria and see what comes up. Here's one http://www.dreamhorse.com/show_horse...rse_id=1812288 without knowing where you are!

The type you describe gets sold a lot by word of mouth. Make sure you mention to a lot of people you know that you are looking.
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

2 members found this post helpful.

Not a gelding or a paint, but I thought this mare looked super sweet:

http://www.horseadoption.com/horsepr...un-with-sue-2/

Check out the thread about the poor horse that was left behind when his owners sold the property (CL ad).

4 members found this post helpful.

Word of mouth. Seriously. If you definitely need an S3 (safe, sane and sound) that anyone can safely ride, I'd trust the grapevine only. Ask at the feed store, vets and farriers.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Some great suggestions here, thanks. I will check out some of those sites and start putting out feelers in the horse community. Should be fun, eh?

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

I searched for over a year, CL, Dreamhorse, Horseclicks, etc but Cowboymom found me one on CL! Really can't imagine our life without Mistletoe now
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I'd second the word of mouth--local vets, farriers, feedstores--and also local lesson stables and even therapeutic riding stables. Some horses from the latter 2 sources simply need their own person, their own home, personal attention and tlc---they are bored or burned out being lesson horses or therapy horses but would blossom tremendously in their own home .Any ethical stable manager would want the best situation for one of their horses in this position.

I wish I knew... I'm looking for a solid citizen/packer type for myself and it's proving more difficult than I would've thought! I actually am only sort of starting to look since I have a horse I should sell first, but there don't seem to be many out there. I've told my vet, farrier, fb friends, real life friends, etc. and am hoping someone will hear of something. What you and I have going for us is that we have our own farms and can offer a great home, so I think we'll find them... it's just not gonna be easy!

I've seen very few of these kind advertised, I did see one the other day that I'm supposed to go look at this weekend and am just hoping someone doesn't beat me to him if he's all he appears to be!

Here's a nice one on the "Welcome All Dayton Area Trail Riders" Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2533...ocation=stream

I don't know if that link will work - but if not, let me know and I'll ask them for info to contact.

Ad:

Kristina Valentine-Tubbs
    For Sale. Morgan draft quarter mix. Very mellow gelding. Kid safe, husband proof, beer broke. I ride him bareback and with just a halter. 15yrs old and 15.3h tall. asking $700

He does not look 15.3 in the pictures. More like 15 or so. Nice looking, in case you can't see pictures, and well cared for.

Don't rule out CL. Lots of inexpensive, "plain" horses that would serve your purpose.

Anyone in New England looking? Saw a posting for a free lease on a 21-yo Arab gelding, 15 hands, reportedly an ex-eventer, friendly, sane and sound, "awesome trail horse."