The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone recognize anything about this 1940s-1950s picture?

My boyfriend's late grandmother was an avid horsewoman before she went to college apparently. This picture was displayed at her funeral... I couldn't help but be in awe of her position and wanted to know more. Her name was Barbara Babson (later married a Stevenson, divorced remarried an O'Neill). This picture was taken in the mid 40s-mid 50s. She lived in Lake Forest, Illinois at the time so I'm assuming the show was around the area.

I guess what I'd like to know is any info surrounding the picture, his grandmother, the horse, the show grounds, etc. The horse was apparently named "appa something" according to family members... My boyfriend suggested Appomattox but the family didn't think that was right.
    Last edited by dqv932; May. 7, 2013 at 09:07 PM.

2 members found this post helpful.

If you are on Facebook, you might go post on 'Equestrians Back in the Day- lots of 'old timers' there might have some ideas for you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dqv932 View Post
    My boyfriend's late grandmother was an avid horsewoman before she went to college apparently. This picture was displayed at her funeral... I couldn't help but be in awe of her position and wanted to know more. Her name was Barbara Babson (later married an O'Neil). This picture was taken in the mid 40s-mid 50s. She lived in Lake Forest, Illinois at the time so I'm assuming the show was around the area.

I guess what I'd like to know is any info surrounding the picture, his grandmother, the horse, the show grounds, etc. The horse was apparently named "appa something" according to family members... My boyfriend suggested Appomattox but the family didn't think that was right.
    Can't help, but what a fantastic picture!

Wow, she looks like she was a lovely and kind rider. I also love the absence of any sort of harsh bit, martingale, 5 saddle pads, etc etc.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Wow, she looks like she was a lovely and kind rider. I also love the absence of any sort of harsh bit, martingale, 5 saddle pads, etc etc.
    x2
    Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
    Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

LOVE it! I agree....this was a different time, when riding less complicated. I absolutely adore the look on the horse's face.

3 members found this post helpful.

Oh, a lovely thoroughbred in flat tack. No saddle pad and no crest release. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, heaven.... I will alert some people to this thread and see if anyone can help you.....

You could look for old timer trainers in that area, like Homer and Doty Adcock of Nimrod Farms, Oconomowoc, WI, that may have been showing right after those years.

What a nice picture. So relaxed, easy, fun looking, "on a lark", compared to what it looks like today. Desperation and anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    What a nice picture. So relaxed, easy, fun looking, "on a lark", compared to what it looks like today. Desperation and anxiety.
    Yes~~ this~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Love the picture. Everything simplified and they both look like they are having fun.

Bet they won the class...hope so anyway. It would be fun to know more.

Any barns in that area that have been around a long time? Someone there might know something or at least recognize the show grounds. Might give you a starting point.

I was actually born in Lake Forest. Wish my grandma was still around, she would probably know. I know one of the big farms in the area is Fields and Fences, in Gurnee, but I'm not sure how long it's been there. Not sure if they were having shows at the Temple Lippizzans at that time either. I believe at one point back in the day, Lake County had more horses that any other county in the country. Wish I could help but it's a great photo!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT