The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Does anyone know why Calumet's Devil's Red and Blue silks were not used? I could be wrong, but thought I read before the derby that Kelly had permission to use them.

The Calumet silks were sold to TNT Stud. I think they were trying to get permission to use them last year, maybe, with Optimizer? Neither wore them in the Derby, though.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/teresage...013/02/22/839/
    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Aha. Thanks. One of the mind-boggling highlights of the museum at the Kentucky Horse Park is all of the hardware won by Calumet back in the day.

2 members found this post helpful.

Congrats to Oxbow and Gary Stevens. It was good to see them all come home safe and sound.

I'm disappointed Orb did not win. I'm hoping he will head to the Belmont.

There was not much talk about him drawing the rail. I have to say, I was disappointed when I saw that. I swear I heard someone either before or after the Derby say the rail was the worst possible draw for Orb. It was pretty obvious he did not like where he was in the race.

Sorry so late to the posting. I hope y'all don't mind. I don't know a whole lot about racing except to make myself look fairly ignorant most of the time. I've been watching the TC races since Secretariat lit up the world with his TC wins.

Bummer about Orb.

But gotta love Gary Stevens's win. He has looked so good since he returned. Think both his Derby ride, and now this, are proof of how much a superb jockey can make the race. Their confidence/positive attitude can so move a horse forward.

Glad it was a clean race, and hope everyone wakes up ok in the stall this morning.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

1 members found this post helpful.

Orb looked as though he ran out of gas, tried again and couldn't make it.

In a post race interview, Joel Rosario, said that he was "worried". He then, sensibly, said no more.

Gary rode a great race. His mileage showed.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I don't agree. Network coverage has always been short of "after race horse shots" except of the winner and the beaten favorite and even then they are brief . The networks seem to prefer the "people" stories and quickly switch to those when the race is over.
    Yes. (And stolen virtue, her name was Eight Belles, two words.) I acknowledge the broadcast networks are often under pressure to get to the next program/event by the allotted time, but it turns into a scramble and they even seem to shortchange the trophy presentation.

I was going to suggest a drinking game where you take a new shot for every reference to 'new shooters' but I realized I don't want to be in liver failure.

I was hoping if there was an upset it would be Rosie and Mylute, but let's hear it for the "geezers" with Oxbow! (We should all be so 'old' as Gary Stevens.) I just kind of wish Calumet had bought the Calumet colors along with the farm and name--devil red and blue looks good on the weather vane.

Regarding the Calumet silks - it's never been reported if Brad Kelley has made an offer (and was rebuffed) with obtaining the registered rights to them. Mentioned previously: From Bill Christine (DRF)
    When Henryk de Kwiatkowski bought bankrupt Calumet in 1992, the colors had already been sold, for $12,000, to a Brazilian businessman - TNT Stud - Gonzalo Borges Torrealba. He used them only in Brazil, for one of the Wright heirs had the colors registered in New York. De Kwiatkowski, who died in 2003, raced in red polka dots; his daughter Arianne uses stars instead of polka dots.
    So it seems a bit unclear as to where the silks reside with registry rights. I assume TNT has them outside of NY (or what else did they pay for?) ... I think Kelley is fine with keeping his colors going forward.

A wicked slow Preakness - final time of 1:57.54 for the mile and three-sixteenths was the slowest Preakness since 1961 - and here is the Prekness final order of finish

1. Oxbow
    2. Itsmyluckyday
    3. Mylute
    4. Orb
    5. Goldencents
    6. Departing
    7. Will Take Charge
    8. Govenor Charlie
    9. Titletown Five
    Video replay: 138th Preakness Stakes (in HD) with Larry Collmus calling for NBC

Who is going to Belmont? Well it appears there is a very good chance of it being Orb vs Oxbow

If Oxbow and Orb meet in the Belmont, it will mark the fourth time since 2001 that the winners of the Derby and Preakness have squared off in the Belmont. The last time that happened was just two years ago, with Animal Kingdom and Shackleford, both of whom were beaten by Ruler On Ice.

Itsmyluckyday, second in the Preakness, will be considered for the Belmont but is more likely to point for races like the Haskell at Monmouth Park, where trainer Eddie Plesa Jr. has a string of horses in the summer.

Mylute, third in the Preakness, is possible for the Belmont.

The Belmont is expected to include Golden Soul and Revolutionary, who finished second and third in the Derby.

Todd Pletcher, the trainer of Revolutionary, also is pointing Overanalyze to the Belmont. His fillies Dreaming of Julia and Unlimited Budget are possible but not nearly as certain as Revolutionary and Overanalyze.

Other Belmont contenders include Freedom Child and the Bob Baffert-trained duo of Code West and Power Broker.
    McGaughey said if Orb skips the Belmont, summer racing at Saratoga would likely be next.

By the way it looks like Kaiser Soze knows the ponies

Yes - Kevin Spacey cashed that $820 winner.

Not sure if this will open - it's a FB photo from America's Best Racing, attributed to Eclipse Sportwire. But it's a great shot, of a disappointed fan at the end of the race.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1

3 members found this post helpful.

Looks just like that painting "the Scream".

Quote Originally Posted by Elly Mae II View Post
    Looks just like that painting "the Scream".
    My thoughts exactly!

There may be a filly in the Belmont!

While I love Stephens and Lucas for having Winning Colors in 1988, I want a filly to win against the boys again and again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Not sure if this will open - it's a FB photo from America's Best Racing, attributed to Eclipse Sportwire. But it's a great shot, of a disappointed fan at the end of the race.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...levant_count=1
    omg!!!! Priceless. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    There may be a filly in the Belmont!
    Pletcher is apt to run "Unlimited Budget" (althought no assurances) but "Dreaming of Julia" will instead be pointed to the (filly restricted) Grade 1, $300,000 Mother Goose on June 22nd at Belmont.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    By the way it looks like Kaiser Soze knows the ponies

Yes - Kevin Spacey cashed that $820 winner.
    I hope you wrote that in a whisper..

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    I hope you wrote that in a whisper..
    Should I be worried

Being added to the Belmont Stakes - Palace Malice

Dogwood Stable’s Palace Malice will run in the Belmont Stakes on June 8, and Hall of Fame jockey Mike Smith will ride him, announced Cot Campbell, Dogwood president.
    Hmmm ... that makes no sense but hey swing for the fences with yet another different jockey (!) if it makes you feel good. Palace Malice is 0-5 in 2013. (5 starts 0-2-1).

Mike Smith rode him to 12th in the Derby. Garret Gomez got a 2nd in the Blue Grass. Edgar Prado before that achieved 7th in the Louisiana Derby. Rosie Napravink took home 3rd in the Risen Star .. and in January in an Optional Claiming race he finished 2nd at Gulfstream with Javier Castellano piloting.