The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default On to 'Old Hilltop': 138th Preakness May 18, 2013 at Pimlico Race

May as well start a thread on the next steps for the second leg of the Triple Crown. The horses that may start continue to fluctuate almost daily.

As of May 7th the probables:

Maryland Jockey Club officials reported via Twitter that trainer D. Wayne Lukas has informed them of his intention to run Titletown Five in the Preakness, along with his other two colts already confirmed, Oxbow and Will Take Charge.

In alphabetical order, these are the 12 known Preakness hopefuls:

Departing, Goldencents, Govenor Charlie, Itsmyluckyday, Mylute, Normandy Invasion, Orb, Oxbow, Street Spice, Titletown Five, Vyjack, and Will Take Charge.

At least one of those, Mylute, is not 100 percent confirmed, as trainer Tom Amoss said he will be discussing the colt’s Preakness status Tuesday afternoon with the colt’s owners.
    The Preakness field will be limited to fourteen (14) starters and the number of horses that are also-eligible to start up to a maximum of two (2) and shall be determined on the day of the Closing

Goldencents is the first to arrive - 1:30am Tuesday May 7th

After finishing 17th in the Derby he's located in Stall 17.

Almost certainly Orb will be stationed in Stall 40, the traditional Pimlico home of the Derby winner.

One more Derby bit ... rather interesting

The Trakus animated video of Orb's Derby win timed with the call by Mark Johnson.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's the most wonderful time of the year.....!

2 members found this post helpful.

Video (NYRA) Wed May 8th at Belmont Park with Orb's first jog post Derby

Patterson, Orb’s regular exercise rider, said she was happy with how Orb felt underneath her Wednesday morning. Orb jogged alongside a stable pony and with very few horses on the track, most of them his stablemates.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Video (NYRA) Wed May 8th at Belmont Park with Orb's first jog post Derby

Patterson, Orb’s regular exercise rider, said she was happy with how Orb felt underneath her Wednesday morning. Orb jogged alongside a stable pony and with very few horses on the track, most of them his stablemates.
    Glimmer, you are on of my favorite posters with the wealth of information you bring here

But this link trumps them all- what a lovely, serene way to waste a few minutes in a busy day. The light rain, quiet track, nice looking pony and a horse just off a major effort taking a nice little jog looking like all he did was walk around the block. Made me feel like I was kicked back in a chair along the shedrow watching a quiet world amble by instead of waiting for clean rooms in an airport hotel.

Thank for this one, turned my day around.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    .... what a lovely, serene way to waste a few minutes in a busy day.
    Thank you and I look at those videos as an extension of the Winston Churchill quote 'No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle' ... the same applies to watching a happy horse out for a jog.

Really enjoyed the video. It definitely makes you feel like you are there just watching a quiet morning at Shug's barn.

I have to give props to the revamped and improved NYRA for those types of videos, along with better replay access, twitter feeds, and all around better information sharing.

D. Wayne Lukas is shaking up the riders for his Preakness entries:

Trainer D. Wayne Lukas has named Mike Smith (replacing Jon Court) to ride Will Take Charge and Julien Leparoux on Titletown Five for the Preakness Stakes at Pimlico on May 18.

Gary Stevens retains the mount for Oxbow.
    Leparoux becomes the sixth rider on Titletown Five in what will be the son of Tiznow’s eighth career start.

One more Derby bit ... rather interesting

The Trakus animated video of Orb's Derby win timed with the call by Mark Johnson.
    That was so cool!

Likely getting a bit boring but yet another reflection on Orb's connections being "old school": Jay Hovdey: McGaughey's Kentucky Derby win puts him at top of class

Excerpt

As a trainer Nerud tried the Derby once, in 1957, when Gallant Man came running at Iron Liege only to have Bill Shoemaker misjudge the finish line and come up a nose short. From his home on Long Island he was seeing the same things in Orb that Nafzger was seeing at trackside.

“It was no trouble picking the winner this year,” Nerud said. “Something had to happen for him not to win. If you watched his last work before the race he worked in 47, and the little girl was just sitting on him, holding him, and she’s laughing and grinning, and the horse has his ears pricked and he’s grinning. I said when I saw that, this horse will not be denied.”

Nerud laughs when he hears about old school training. There was a time he challenged convention and went against the accepted grain. Old school, these days, is very much against the grain.

“He did a damn good job of training him,” Nerud said.

Likely getting a bit boring but yet another reflection on Orb's connections being "old school": Jay Hovdey: McGaughey's Kentucky Derby win puts him at top of class

Excerpt

Good to hear from Mr. Nerud!

I remember he would only work them a 1/2 a mile and felt that was the best he could do for the horse, the rest was up to the animal.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

D. Wayne Lukas is shaking up the riders for his Preakness entries:

Leparoux becomes the sixth rider on Titletown Five in what will be the son of Tiznow’s eighth career start.
    One thing that amused me out of Gary Stevens' autobiography, the Perfect Ride, was his tale of how he decided one day to "suspend" Wayne Lukas. Per Stevens, Lukas had a habit of jock shifting and would sometimes even say outright that he was "suspending" a jock for X months or whatever and would refuse to use that jock in that period for a ride he disapproved of. "Suspending" was Lukas' own term, according to Stevens. Lukas handed it out like a sentence, making sure the jock and agent knew the duration. Stevens one day got mad at being blamed publicly for a bad ride on Farma Way when he thought that it wasn't his fault and the horse just hadn't had it that day, and he decided it was his turn to "suspend" Lukas for a year. Told his agent Lukas was off their list for a year. He stuck to it, too.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    One thing that amused me out of Gary Stevens' autobiography, the Perfect Ride, was his tale of how he decided one day to "suspend" Wayne Lukas. Per Stevens, Lukas had a habit of jock shifting and would sometimes even say outright that he was "suspending" a jock for X months or whatever and would refuse to use that jock in that period for a ride he disapproved of. "Suspending" was Lukas' own term, according to Stevens. Lukas handed it out like a sentence, making sure the jock and agent knew the duration. Stevens one day got mad at being blamed publicly for a bad ride on Farma Way when he thought that it wasn't his fault and the horse just hadn't had it that day, and he decided it was his turn to "suspend" Lukas for a year. Told his agent Lukas was off their list for a year. He stuck to it, too.
    Good for him! These trainers always have to blame someone, glad to see it come back to bite him in the a**.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

What the Vegas odds are in advance of the Preakness ...

Wynn Las Vegas/Encore Odds: Preakness/Triple Crown as of May 8, 2013

Horse. 5-8-13 Vegas Odds
    Departing. 3/1
    Goldencents. 7/1
    Govenor Charlie. 22/1
    Itsmyluckyday. 9/1
    Mylute. 11/1
    Normandy Invasion. 6/1
    Orb. 7/5
    Oxbow. 20/1
    Street Spice. 22/1
    Titletown Five. 30/1
    Vyjack. 15/1
    Will Take Charge. 14/1
    Wynn Las Vegas also has proposition bets on Preakness with Orb vs. Departing. The odds are leaning towards Orb; Additionally there is a Triple Crown sweep prop bet for Orb (will win/won't win) which has narrowed.

As brought up on another thread - the old myth of Pimlico with "tight turns" which is simply not true at all: DRF 5/11/2011 "The Big Pimlico / Preakness Myth"

I know why this stuff is perpetuated. Some think – very incorrectly – that saying this makes them look smart.

Anyway, this myth should have been vanquished once and for all when, a few years ago, the network that was televising the Preakness at the time took an overhead photo of Pimlico and superimposed it on an overhead photo of Churchill Downs. The result proved to everyone with eyes that Pimlico is most definitely NOT a tight-turned track. In fact, the turns at Pimlico are virtually identical in terms of circumference to the turns at Churchill, a track that has never been known as a tight-turned one.
    Also (from 2005 but still relevant) ESPN - Preakness Q & A

Q. The song during the Preakness post parade sounds familiar. Why is that?
    A. Because the music for the state song "Maryland, My Maryland" was lifted note for note from the traditional German Christmas carol "Tannenbaum, Oh Tannebaum," which translates as "Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree."

Q. The Preakness winner wears a wreath of Black-Eyed Susans, the Maryland state flower that matches the black and yellow colors of the state flag. But they don't bloom in Maryland until June, so how is that possible?
    A. By using 80 bunches of Viking daisies and daubing the center of each flower with black lacquer (similar to shoe polish). Preserve the illusion. Hey, that's show biz.

Shug was asked during a pre-Preakness press conference about the Triple Crown:

McGaughey does not believe that the timing of the races should be altered. In fact, as he pointed out, Orb won his first race, a maiden special weight at Aqueduct, off just a 14-day layoff, so the schedule won’t be totally foreign to him.

“I’m an advocate of the way the Triple Crown is set up. I know a lot of people question it, try to spread it out and this and that, but I think that’s what makes it difficult,” he said.
    Orb will ship down to Baltimore on Monday after a breeze at Belmont Park.

Several other horses are in a wait and see position:

Rudy Rodriguez said Thursday that no decision has been made on whether Pick Six Racing’s gelding, Vyjack, will be entered. Due to the wet weather in New York this week, Rodriguez has not been able to do very much with the gelding since he returned from Kentucky after finishing 18th in the Derby.

“We’ve been babying him,” Rodriguez said. “I would like to gallop him and see what’s going on.”

Tom Amoss said a decision on Mylute, the fifth-place Kentucky Derby finisher, status for the Preakness would be made after training Saturday. If Mylute is a go for Baltimore, he would represent a second Preakness starter for Amoss, who saddled Hot Wells for a fourth-place finish behind Real Quiet in 1998.

Trainer Chad Brown said that Normandy Invasion, the fourth-place finisher in the Derby, is 50-50 for the Preakness. He expects to make a decision over the weekend after he has had a chance to watch the Tapit colt gallop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	374996_10151427619116375_1435619945_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	38187

The second most coveted spot at Pimlico. Standing empty now but will be the place to be in a few days.

I do like the comments from Chad Brown with being on the fence with running Normandy Invasion in the Preakness. Clearly the influence of Bobby F. is there with his thinking.

“When you have one of the better 3-year-olds in the country and you have a race like the Travers that I really want to win – anyone would really want to win – I really got to keep that in mind,” Brown said outside his barn on a glorious spring morning. “I don’t want to do anything to risk the horse for the rest of the year.

“The only thing really to gain is if you win the Preakness,” Brown added. “Running in the Preakness and hitting the board is not going to do anything for me or [owner Rick] Porter – we’ve had that discussion. If we go, I got to be very confident that we have an excellent chance to win the race. Anything short of that we probably wouldn’t go.

The calendar would suggest that even if Normandy Invasion ran in the Preakness, win or lose, he would still have enough time to make the Jim Dandy on July 27 and the Travers four weeks later. But, Brown said, that doesn’t have to be the case.

“They’re not cars. You can’t just say ‘Oh well, he’s going to come out of the Preakness fine and that break will do him fine,’ ” Brown said. “Maybe you really knock him out or maybe we run him back in the Preakness and he wins and now we totally changed the landscape of the 3-year-old division because we won one of the classics.”
    I wonder if the MJC/Pimlico will pause before giving Vyjack's trainer - Rudy Rodriguez - a license in Maryland. DRF 5-10-13: "Rudy Rodriguez has another positive for flunixin"

New York state regulators have notified trainer Rudy Rodriguez that he has had a fourth horse of his test positive for the drug flunixin, Rodriguez said Friday.

Rodriguez said he wants the state – at his expense – to test all the horses that ran at Aqueduct in the month of April to make sure that he is not being singled out.

“If I have to sell my house, I’ll sell my house,” Rodriguez said, referring to how to pay for all those tests. “I want to test everybody.”

Rodriguez said his horses are treated with flunixin in the permissible time out from a race recommended by veterinarians, which is a minimum 24 hours.

Sat 5/11: Mylute confirmed for Preakness - Tom Amoss will have Rosie Napravnik up again. on him