The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Apparently it is lost on you, it has nothing to do with the act itself.
    Oh brother. Try reading lynwoods answer. Maybe it will sink in. There is nothing sexual about it.
    Then why bring in the sexual connotations?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Oh, really?

Well, here is what an attorney wrote about the very illustrious and honorable president of the largest animal rights extremist groups, with income of millions in donations a year, the group spearheading the drive to ban horse slaughter and so much else we do with our animals:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.
    Yeah, it's a shame that groups like the Meat Industry (Smithfield, Tyson, Con-Agra, etc.), Cattlemen's, Swine Growers, Egg and Poultry producers, the Fur industry, etc., etc., etc., are so destitute they can't even afford to buy a politician. Oh...wait.

Seriously, do you even have *any* idea how lame that finger-pointing is?

7 members found this post helpful.

Really bluey?????

Nathan Winograd:

Winograd has all the credentials any animal rights activist or shelter professional could ask for. He's a vegan.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/pets/yourwhole...#ixzz2Sklwh9Ib

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    Yeah, it's a shame that groups like the Meat Industry (Smithfield, Tyson, Con-Agra, etc.), Cattlemen's, Swine Growers, Egg and Poultry producers, the Fur industry, etc., etc., etc., are so destitute they can't even afford to buy a politician. Oh...wait.

Seriously, do you even have *any* idea how lame that finger-pointing is?

Seriously, do YOU even have *any* idea how lame that finger-pointing is?

Remember who started finger pointing?

So if cattle are treated the same way why are people not up in arms about that? I feel horrible for them all truthfully. That's why I usually don't get into this stuff because I have to think about it and it's hard really. I'm the kind of person that can watch a movie with people being killed and not bother me but I be dang if an animal gets killed I'm about to cry. What makes the difference between the horses and cattle? Does it make it easier for people with cattle because they are born to be eaten and not horses? I'm just confused at the double standard almost between these "livestock". Both IMO have feelings, get confused, feel pain, are scared. Of course they don't know they are about to die but I believe they have these emotions so why is cattle different?
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    So if cattle are treated the same way why are people not up in arms about that? I feel horrible for them all truthfully. That's why I usually don't get into this stuff because I have to think about it and it's hard really. I'm the kind of person that can watch a movie with people being killed and not bother me but I be dang if an animal gets killed I'm about to cry. What makes the difference between the horses and cattle? Does it make it easier for people with cattle because they are born to be eaten and not horses? I'm just confused at the double standard almost between these "livestock". Both IMO have feelings, get confused, feel pain, are scared. Of course they don't know they are about to die but I believe they have these emotions so why is cattle different?
    To quote the anti slaughter tag team "they are raised as livestock" A vast majority of peoples issue with slaughter for consumption is they see them as pets.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

2 members found this post helpful.

You mean your surprised? I fully saw it coming when I saw the original post.
    Any means to start a new one. Since the last one was closed.
    I saw it coming too.

It was a horrible way to die. I'm so sorry for those poor horses. But a fire can happen to anyone. Even a regular old horse owner towing their saintly old horse. It's tragic no matter who it happens to, or where the horses were destined. A while back an upper level eventer had his horses burn to death in a trailer. I think it was caused by a tire fire. The rig went up so fast there was no way to get the horses out.

When I read about these horrific accidents; I think there but for the grace of God go I. You can do everything right. Have your rig inspected, trailer safely, and still having something like this happen.

Frankly, given how many horse owners don't know jack about trailering a live load, I'm surprised more horses aren't dying in fiery crashes.

This was a tragic, horrific event. But it could happen to any of us. Many years ago I saw a car catch on fire from a ruptured fuel line. The car went up in seconds. Tires are made out of rubber, trailers have rubber in them - and that stuff is highly flammable. Lots of things in our trucks and trailers are highly flammable. Including the animals we are towing.

I'm pretty tired of the anti-slaughter activists and their networks going around the internet screeching about every little incident; ginning up controversy, baiting other posters, and so obviously coordinating their posts and efforts. They lost credibility with me a long time ago - though I used to be pretty sympathetic to their arguments. Now I've just written them off as a bunch of crazy frothy wingnuts. Because that is what they are.

I'm sorry for those horses. I'm sorry they were going to be slaughtered but I'm even more sorry they died in a fire. Very sad.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

8 members found this post helpful.

Rotz indicated he would have no comment, saying only "if it burned it burned."

Do you really think that anyone else in the livestock business would have such an attitude towards his/her animals?

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

4 members found this post helpful.

Give it a rest
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

4 members found this post helpful.

Again do you understand the physical difference between the 2 species. That treating them like cattle during transport, feed lots and slaughter in itself is so wrong on so many levels if only for that difference.

That said, I could no more send a cow I've had for years to slaughter than one of my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Really bluey?????

Nathan Winograd:

Winograd has all the credentials any animal rights activist or shelter professional could ask for. He's a vegan.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/pets/yourwhole...#ixzz2Sklwh9Ib
    And?

Did you read the link I provided?
    Right.

That was a response to some finger pointing.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Rotz indicated he would have no comment, saying only "if it burned it burned."

Do you really think that anyone else in the livestock business would have such an attitude towards his/her animals?
    OH come on..
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Again do you understand the physical difference between the 2 species. That treating them like cattle during transport, feed lots and slaughter in itself is so wrong on so many levels if only for that difference.

That said, I could no more send a cow I've had for years to slaughter than one of my horses.
    OH I bet you tuck them in with Eiderdown quilts and sing them lullabys as well
    You people cannot be for real.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

3 members found this post helpful.

Before you start comparing cattle to horses you REALLY need to understand/learn/see etc. that they are COMPLETELY different animals, physically and mentally.

Please, please, please tell you can at least SEE the difference. You could run a razor blade down a bovine's hide and not scratch it, well almost. That's just the difference in the skin, see where I'm going with this.....
    I am not comparing cattle to horses although I fail to see where you are finding cattle are impervious to razor blades?

Are you comparing horses to humans?

I have to say I think the similarities between horse and cow are closer than horse and human as to lifestyle, reaction to perceived danger and having evolved with the same predators on a plains environment, having been used or bred as beasts of burden by humans in the past...

Certainly they are extremely different animals from each other, -my response was to the poster who asked if horses and cattle were handled the same way in shipping and at slaughter.

Personally I think cattle are handled better, because there are expectations that are higher from feedlot owners as to what return they will get from various classes and condition of animals run through the slaughterhouse and if that isn't met, they will go down the line to see what is being done to lose money: stressed animals lose money, bad handling loses money, poor shippers lose money and on and on.

Then most people accept that cattle will eventually be slaughtered as an end to their lives and see it as both necessary and useful to society. There is less stigma for the people whose job it is to weild the gun on cattle than if they are stunning horses - far less. No one calls vets who euthanize horses "borderline sociopaths whose next step is going to be turning on their neighbors..."

Sorry that became so lengthy.

Short version: Cows are not horses - yep, agreed.
    Both slaughtered in similar manner - yep.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Give it a rest
    YES!!! Can we PLEASE! But sadly, Probably not.

MY lord, you must be so proud of yourself. So if people were dying in a car crash and it also involved animals in a trailer, You would save the animals?
    Oh wait, you just said it does not bother you in movies.
    I can only hope that is true. Wow~

OH I bet you tuck them in with Eiderdown quilts and sing them lullabys as well
    You people cannot be for real.
    No, you cannot be for real, if you cannot possibly see or understand the difference. I'll bet you... ah never mind. You probably can't tell a good conformed horse from a bad one either.

MY lord, you must be so proud of yourself. So if people were dying in a car crash and it also involved animals in a trailer, You would save the animals?
    Oh wait, you just said it does not bother you in movies.
    I can only hope that is true. Wow~
    You are kinda of jerk for someone that was on the fence a couple threads ago. Me-thinks you are young, someone PM'd you and you are sheeple or....

I think what would happen IMO is horses would suffer even more. I know someone on AZ that told me a couple years ago when the slaughter houses were closed that people were just letting horses go around where he lived. You could ride down the road and there would be a skinny horse on the side of it in the middle of nowhere. It's lime people that are to cheap to put their dog or cat down, or they don't spay their dog and have puppies that they can't afford or get rid of. It cost to drop them at the pound, they have to pay I think here is 25 dollars an animal to surrender it so they just drop them on side of the road. I have had sooooo many dogs and puppies being dropped at my farm. Covered in fleas and ticks, starving and it's to sad. Same as when I worked as a vet tech. People would just leave animals by the door and expect us to take care of them. If these people can't afford the horse anymore and send it to auctions and they don't sell what do you think is going to happen to those horses? I highly doubt they will go home to a comfy life of retirement. A lot of people don't have the money or land to dispose of a horse after they put it down. Around here it's a dollar a pound for cremation and that's what I've always done. If I had room (my property is the house and pasture so no where to bury one safely) then it would cost about 250 for someone to come and dig the hole. If people are flat broke and don't have 400 dollars to euthanize and then bury this animal what do you think they will do? It's all about responsibility IMO. This may not be a popular thing I'm about to write but IMO if you can not afford a horse you shouldn't have one. And of circumstances change were suddenly you can't afford them anymore idk what to say. That's a hard fact that there is not an answer to. But if each state had a slaughter house in it and were overseen properly then maybe it wouldn't be as bad for these horses. But you can also always donate to your zoo. They go into a quite room and are well Shoot or bolt gun in the head, same as a slaughter house but at least it's not as hard on them as slaughter has become, or donate to your university vet program were they can pts and study the horse. There are different options but laziness of people it's sometimes easier to just ship them to the auction and put them on the truck.
    Well, over 5000 horses were dumped in the desert on the Mexican border last yr, after being rejected at the Port of entries. I personally know of 70 dumped by a KB that was transporting 2 truckloads from WI to Santa Teresa POE. There were horses with strangles on the trailers, so they were rejected and dumped in the desert, during a drought, in the Summer. Nice, caring people, those Killer Buyers. I'm sure they were horribly upset that they didn't get "one last use" out of the horses, and that when they died out there, their bodies might poison the groundwater supply.

8 members found this post helpful.

No, you cannot be for real, if you cannot possibly see or understand the difference. I'll bet you... ah never mind. You probably can't tell a good conformed horse from a bad one either.
    LOL Oh That is Rich~ Is that your attempt at an insult? I cannot even dignify it with an answer. Well another thread off the tracks. And it had nothing to do with Slaughter.