The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Transportation is NOT a straw man argument. The AVMA, which just so happens to be PRO slaughter, states why double deckers should not be used for hauling horses:

The AVMA believes trailers on the road containing two or more levels to transport horses are not adequately equipped to humanely meet the space needs of a horse based on the following observations:

A horse needs a minimum of 7 to 8 feet of height per level to have the ability to fully raise its head while standing

If such a conveyance was designed with two levels at the minimum height requirement for humane transport, the trailer would be at least 14 feet tall without taking into account the height added by tires

The maximum height of a trailer on interstate highways in urban areas is 14 Feet and 16 feet in rural areas

No trailer with two or more levels that meets the minimum height requirements of humane transport would clear a bridge in an urban environment and most likely not clear a bridge in a rural environment

Do you not consider the AVMA to be a credible source for information?

So much for your claim that horses are fine standing around with their heads at the same height as their withers.
    Are you sure you copied that right?

Stock trailers are generally 6' to 6 1/2' tall and horses travel fine in them all day, even very big horses.
    Ranch horses are at times packed in there like sardines and get off fine.

I think we need to quit thinking horses are humans, because they are not.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I cannot imagine how some can use this horrific accident for their anti slaughter agenda.
    You mean your surprised? I fully saw it coming when I saw the original post.
    Any means to start a new one. Since the last one was closed.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    You mean your surprised? I fully saw it coming when I saw the original post.
    Any means to start a new one. Since the last one was closed.
    well, May is National Masturbation month....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The way I see what is going on, there is so much in the world that is good with what we do with animals and some that is not.

Those of us that care for animals should be working on what is good to make it better and on what is not to keep those that are not doing right from it, like BL abusers, bad trainers, educate ignorant horse owners, etc.

I don't understand why some, that say they are for having animals to use, then align themselves with the drives towards eventually eliminating any use of animals by humans.
    Slaughter serves a purpose, always has.
    The only reason there is a drive to ban, now horse slaughter, then other, is because it is one more place for animal rights extremists to have free publicity.

That is also how they gain followers, that gullibly believe them being oh so helpful, while not thinking where letting animal rights extremist with their already amassed fortunes gain any more power is going.

Why help the already behemoth, one of the richest non-profits in the world, that is ultimately after what you supposedly care for, that we have animals to care for, keep gaining even more might, to eventually eliminate all use of animals?

That just has never made any sense to me.

Stock trailers are generally 6' to 6 1/2' tall and horses travel fine in them all day, even very big horses.

So are Polo Ponies, We used to cram them in on angles so they were First one, head left shove him over next ones head was at the first ones butt, So on and so forth.
    Last edited by Sannois; May. 8, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

My trailer is 6 1/2 ft tall and my boys are fine in it. I am getting a new one that is 7ft. It's on order and being built so excited! The other trailer is a stock trailer but only 3 horse slant load with dividers.

I don't think this accident was with a double decker though. But anyone else beside pro slaughter able to answer my question about cows on the page before this one? Really am interested in knowing opinions on this. Two others say they are shipped and done the same way. If this is true then why is it right for cows? Man after this I may not eat meat. .
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

1 members found this post helpful.

If we are to accept what others saw on the video, this wasn't a DD trailer, but a single level.

Just trying to move the conversation onward a bit.

I am sad that there is not some way trailers could be made less flammable, especially with live loads; animals, driver, and other motorists would all benefit from better safety - think of the fuel cell technology used in race cars and what a safety difference they made.

There really is no safe or sane way to unload multiple large animals on a public highway so truck fires should be addressed from an avoidance/interruption of combustion standpoint, not after the animals are trapped in flame.

-And just who is this 'WE' Lady Eboshi keeps referring to as she posts her opinions? Who does she claim to be spokesperson for and how large is her group of WE?

Certainly she is right to post her opinions AS HER OWN, and I hope she begins to do so.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    If we are to accept what others saw on the video, this wasn't a DD trailer, but a single level.

Just trying to move the conversation onward a bit.

I am sad that there is not some way trailers could be made less flammable, especially with live loads; animals, driver, and other motorists would all benefit from better safety - think of the fuel cell technology used in race cars and what a safety difference they made.

There really is no safe or sane way to unload multiple large animals on a public highway so truck fires should be addressed from an avoidance/interruption of combustion standpoint, not after the animals are trapped in flame.

-And just who is this 'WE' Lady Eboshi keeps referring to as she posts her opinions? Who does she claim to be spokesperson for and how large is her group of WE?

Certainly she is right to post her opinions AS HER OWN, and I hope she begins to do so.
    I saw that too, It was not a double decker, and did it look like it was engulfed in flames? Strange, The men were still standing near it, I wonder what the investigation will show, Cause I would think if the fire was from one of the fuel tanks, well that sucker would not have been still looking almost in tact.
    What do I know. Edited to add, I take it back, the top and sides are burned off, But seriously it is sitting on its tailgate. To me if it were the passenger fuel tank it would be burnt more in the front, And I think those horses went fast, it has to be really hot to melt metal like that. That is not making it any better, but it would interesting to see what really was the cause of the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    My trailer is 6 1/2 ft tall and my boys are fine in it. I am getting a new one that is 7ft. It's on order and being built so excited! The other trailer is a stock trailer but only 3 horse slant load with dividers.

I don't think this accident was with a double decker though. But anyone else beside pro slaughter able to answer my question about cows on the page before this one? Really am interested in knowing opinions on this. Two others say they are shipped and done the same way. If this is true then why is it right for cows? Man after this I may not eat meat. .
    Yes, cows are shipped as others have posted and killed quickly by captive bolt in most cases. They are subject to the same unease and confusion in strange places as are horses. They are not abstract thinkers and do not 'know' they are going to die in short order.

Most slaughter facilities are built with cattle in mind as they are the dominant(large) animal killed for human consumption in the USA and most of the horse slaughter modified those facilities. Pigs would not be comparable in size or methods for the most part, and poultry not at all; if you want to google.

Why is it right for cows not to wear sheets, blankets or fly masks in pasture, while horses are 'neglected' according to some posters if they are not kitted out in matching wardrobe?

I think the main difference between attitudes toward shipping horses and cattle (to slaughter) is that people accept that cattle truck drivers are just drivers, while if the cargo is horses then the drivers are labeled with every vile epithet a person might have in their vocabulary.

So the difference is partly in the minds and perception of the beholders.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Oh yes...these people in the slaughter industry are just businessmen, and really do care about animal welfare, and are honest, upstanding citizens...

Poor horses. Godspeed.
    If I remember correctly, the leader of the pro-slaughter movement, an obscure and ethically-challenged representative from Wyoming, wrote an op-ed titled "Killer Horse Buyers Are Heroes and Saviors" waxing poetic about how awesome those hard workin' folks really are.

Seriously, you can't make this stuff up.

Read it for yourself. Quite frankly I'm getting tired of you insulting my intelligence.

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ne...-trailers.aspx
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Again with bizarre, unnecessary quotes?! Jetsmom nailed it last time.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Abercrombie View Post
    If I remember correctly, the leader of the pro-slaughter movement, an obscure and ethically-challenged representative from Wyoming, wrote an op-ed titled "Killer Horse Buyers Are Heroes and Saviors" waxing poetic about how awesome those hard workin' folks really are.

Oh, really?

Well, here is what an attorney wrote about the very illustrious and honorable president of the largest animal rights extremist groups, with income of millions in donations a year, the group spearheading the drive to ban horse slaughter and so much else we do with our animals:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    OMG you are one sick puppy!!!!!! You need to be banned, first it's fake vaginas, and now this? Why, wtf, are you still allowed to post?
    Last edited by up-at-5; May. 8, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: really folks, really?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

10 members found this post helpful.

Afraid not. Her comment was simply a figure of speech gleaning to the self gratifying nature that some posters figuratively if you will ,get off on certain macabre topics.

I understood perfectly what she was implying.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

It's an inside joke!!! The last slaughter thread I stated they were pointless, it was nothing more than mental masturbation!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    Afraid not. Her comment was simply a figure of speech gleaning to the self gratifying nature that some posters figuratively if you will ,get off on certain macabre topics.

I understood perfectly what she was implying.
    SEE Lynwood gets it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    It's an inside joke!!! The last slaughter thread I stated they were pointless, it was nothing more than mental masturbation!!
    Really, for whom? Certainly not me. Sicko analogy! Sicko, who on earth would put the two together, omg, really??? Slaughter and masturbation, gag gag gag.......
    Last edited by up-at-5; May. 8, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: addimg an OMG or 6, omg
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Really, for whom? Certainly not me. Sicko analogy! Sicko, who on earth would put the two together, omg, really??? Slaughter and masturbation, gag gag gag.......
    Apparently it is lost on you, it has nothing to do with the act itself.
    Oh brother. Try reading lynwoods answer. Maybe it will sink in. There is nothing sexual about it.

Before you start comparing cattle to horses you REALLY need to understand/learn/see etc. that they are COMPLETELY different animals, physically and mentally.

Please, please, please tell you can at least SEE the difference. You could run a razor blade down a bovine's hide and not scratch it, well almost. That's just the difference in the skin, see where I'm going with this.....