The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

WOW that is a horrible way to die. The rendering plant would have been better.

My father was on the USS Enterprise air craft carrier when it caught fire. My father said he heard the screams and saw his crew burning to death. He has said burning alive has got to be the worst way to go
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

Ick. Nice way to say slaughter house, BTW.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Ick. Nice way to say slaughter house, BTW.
    I agree... and I just translated pages of emails from that plant for a friend who had asked for them as 'freedom of information'. I was sick of the nonchalance of the workers regarding horses. They obviously don't know much... and were asking for advice from a CFIA vet as to how to keep horses over the weekend ie how much food/what kind/bedding/number of horses per pen... I did it and did not proofread. It was so maddening...

Very sad, such a horrible way to go.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I was just reading that on Facebook. Ignorant journalism at its best - a rendering plant deals with DEAD animals, not live ones. At least all the ones I've known are like that.

Furthermore, you can bet the hauling company (whom I won't name as the one to be rumored as it is not confirmed) will receive an insurance check.

How god-awful it must have been for those horses. Trapped and burned alive with no chance of being overcome by smoke inhalation before being consumed by flames.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

5 members found this post helpful.

UGh, God awful. I cannot even imagine the screams.
    What an awful thing.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I hope the driver has sleepless nights forever. Maybe not his fault, but that would cure me from ever driving live animals...

Horrible, horrible.

30 horses from Shippensburg, PA? What's that about? Anybody know?

Hard to imagine which is worse, dying in a trailer fire or a slaughterhouse. Godspeed.

4 members found this post helpful.

I saw this on Facebook too. Horrific. Several of the people involved are known kill dealers. I personally know of one from Northern New York from when we lived in Watertown. There is little question as to the destination these horses were bound.

Is Shippensburg a rendezvous point? Maybe horses come up from Laurel?

There's a kill buyer named Rotz who is out of Shippensburg.
    He's got a barn he gathers them in and then sends them on to Canada- if you google his name you will see he's already been involved in a huge TB scandal. He's the only I know that would have 30 of them from Shippensburg.
    Last edited by kasjordan; May. 7, 2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: more info
    Kerri

My guess is NH, direct to slaughterhouse... you can guess how true the info on the EID must be... owned for the last 6 months by the person consigning the horses and no drugs? Sure.... how would they know... same as Backstreet Bully recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    I was just reading that on Facebook. Ignorant journalism at its best - a rendering plant deals with DEAD animals, not live ones. At least all the ones I've known are like that.

Furthermore, you can bet the hauling company (whom I won't name as the one to be rumored as it is not confirmed) will receive an insurance check.

How god-awful it must have been for those horses. Trapped and burned alive with no chance of being overcome by smoke inhalation before being consumed by flames.
    They shouldn't get a check for their cargo, since isn't it still illegal to transport horses for slaughter? Or am I I out of the loop?

Horrible way to go. The story about the women in the limo yesterday is equally as horrifying.

Bruce Rotz is in Shippensburg.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    My guess is NH, direct to slaughterhouse... .
    Well, not direct from New Holland. New Holland to 81 North to Canada doesn't go near Shippensburg.

Also wondering if the truck was legal. 30 horses is a lot. Was it a regular truck or a cattle truck?

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Bruce Rotz is in Shippensburg.
    Ahhh, you're right.

Oh, god, I hope none of those horses were stolen: https://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=95289

Try this for fun:
    Google "18 wheeler on fire" and you will find a shocking number of unrelated reports, all from this year, a big rig catching fire.

Due to the volume of fuel they carry, there isn't a heck of a lot a driver can do once it reaches a certain temperature. If driving school does not fail me, diesel is self igniting.....

This is an absolutely terrifying event.

bu one really has to love you guys, wishing the plague on a fellow for having something go terribly wrong.

Not to mention (I am sure he will reconsider life cargo...) that there might be a need in your future for a hauler of life animals.

I would love to see the insurance reports on all these truck fires, as to what caused that (go watch the videos, if you are not trying to tinkle in that forest fire with a tiny fire extinguisher, the blazes are awesome!), because, well, in the name of road and public safety, the cause should be pinpointed and eliminated.

And seriously. You guys can't be pleased. The driver tells you the load goes to the farm, you want his head, they tell you 'rendering plant' you want to castrate the bastard with a rusty hoof pick....
    OMG, might just be that a bunch of obligate carnivores in the zoos across the nation got hungry. Along with the wolves and bears.

Absolutely horrible that the rig carried horses. But it's far from a rare occurrence that a big rig catches fire!

But you are right. the driver should just quit and collect welfare.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    They shouldn't get a check for their cargo, since isn't it still illegal to transport horses for slaughter? Or am I I out of the loop?
    I would like some references and citation about the legality or lack there of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

2 members found this post helpful.