The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weekend for the rest of us

Thought it was interesting that EN had only Badminton coverage (and one story about the Kentucky Derby). I may have just missed it, so point me in the right direction if so, but despite the Grand Slam being on the line, lots of other things were going on in the eventing world. Many of the Area 2 riders were at MCTA (where two of my favorites, Sally Cousins and Kate Chadderton won their divisions), or the unrecognized at Fair Hill and in Area III, Poplar Place was hosting the championships. A long Format encompassing Training, Novice and BN was happening at Southern 8ths (Wildlifer did an excellent blog), Penny Oaks was taking place in the midwest (Deltawave rode in that one, I think she needs to update her blog and/or post a helmet cam), and there was a HT and CIC at Greenwood (Rowdie Adams won the 2* and Heather Morris the 1*).

I blogged about a bit of it here: http://seema-thefloridachronicles.bl...est-of-us.html

and would love to hear how everyone else's weekends were.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

2 members found this post helpful.

MY weekend was quiet and relaxed (my big weekend was Rolex weekend when Toby and I finally conquered our prelim demons!). Was supposed to school on the flat on Saturday, but went for a little hack to warm up....and we never made it to the ring. Such a beautiful day and Toby and I just blissed out in the woods. Had a gallop with DC and our bumper ponies on Sunday, and topped off the weekend with my all time favorite dessert, Hunter's Head strawberry shortcake (and a margarita, since it was Cinco de Mayo....felt a little weird ordering a margarita at an English type pub ).

Saw some pics of dw and Boscoe and they looked like they were having a blast!

Wow! Seema thanks for the links! I'll work my way thru them today!
    yes, the Badminton coverage was sort of overage. I listened to most of it on the sprint phone via Radio Badminton which was quite good so knew everything going on before I got in the house on the computer. I know that Rebecca Farms used to do a radio feed - the Whitefish Mt. radio station used to carry it live.

I like radio bec. I can use my hands and work and don't have to be tethered to the computer for the feed, and still hear what is going on. Does anyone else like radio for these things?

I would really like to see other big events carry some kind of radio broadcast; I love that sort of media format. I think it would be great fun to be a host! I can talk enough about horses and eventing, ya think?
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post

Saw some pics of dw and Boscoe and they looked like they were having a blast!
    I talked to her at Penny Oaks and she had a great time, got a bit wet on Sunday for SJ. There are a couple of threads on Penny Oaks up.

My OTTB and I successfully moved up to Novice this weekend at the unrecognized but ridiculously awesome Burgundy Hollow Farm. He had no interest in participating in the dressage, but he made up for it by jumping clear around stadium and cross country for a third place. Great weekend for us!
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

I went to an unrecognized event with a very sensitive green pony. He had a melt down during stadium warmup and I learned I can still stay on a bucking pony. Even a bucking, spinning, thinking about running back to the barn pony. We scratched, but we did go into the stadium arena and walk over a cross-rail (that's the height we were doing.)

I agree -- I have kind of given up on EN for most things except for FEI coverage and then there are so many posts, it goes over the top! But one of my fellow volunteers put up a post about the AMAZING, INCREDIBLE Southern 8th Long Format event in this forum and we had some really wonderful and informative competitor posts on there, check it out!

And awwwe, thanks for the props! I'm not done yet, got to get those pictures up!

Drove down 5 hours south to pick my oldest up from college. It actually worked out pretty well as the weather was disgusting all weekend and my pals at Poplar Place where I had *thought* I wanted to be were wet, cold and muddy.

Penny Oaks was fun, in spite of a record terrible dressage score. I am currently going through a "work in progress" phase of slowly and quite painfully improving my hand/elbow/bit connection, and it is taking its toll on my poor fretful horse who badly wants a great set of hands connected to his mouth. I believe we're actually getting there, but not without . . . moments.

The jumping was a blast--XC was ridiculously easy for him and a too-long warmup in SJ had him pissed off (it was wet, muddy, and cold) and irritated so he told me to eff off a few times on course, but still felt very rideable and in spite of the fact all my friends were telling me "sorry" after SJ (2 rails) I was actually grinning because my horse is SO DANG FUN to jump! He also has a lot to teach me and I feel like last weekend was a very large learning experience.

On to Greater Dayton in 2 weeks where we're going to try 10 minute warmups for D and SJ.
    Click here before you buy.

My weekend was on EN

http://eventingnation.com/home/micha...ic-report.html

I'm the second photo
    Also my bday weekend the big 3-0

Congrats EventingJ! Happy birthday!

I had noticed the over the top coverage of Badminton... not that I don't love the event and wasn't excited to see the results etc, but as others have said, there were other things going on this weekend!

I've been on foal watch, but my horse was up at muddy, rainy Poplar and he WON - granted the class size was low, but he did a heck of a good job and I was super proud of him. (even better this was his first run since Rocking Horse back in Feb and we were just going out to school and knock the rust off before his next big thing). I had several friends that also did VERY well at Poplar.... You would have thought there would have been at least a blurb about everything. Oh well, I'm kind of used to being the forgotten one LOL.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post
    My weekend was on EN

http://eventingnation.com/home/micha...ic-report.html

I'm the second photo
    Also my bday weekend the big 3-0
    Happy Birthday! I also had a milestone birthday, and my family threw me a big barn party.

Baxter showed up in formal wear: http://tinypic.com/r/i6yp0h/5

And I got a complete surprise gift of a GoPro helmet cam... so I'm hoping to get some videos up this summer!!

My weekend was spent successfully showing horses to clients and enjoying an early Mothers day spent Brunching with my daughter and watching movies on TV.....throw in 5 hours of mowing and it was pretty complete...

Wildlifer, where is your blog about Southern 8s?
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Hey Badger, I have a couple more posts to write, but the first couple are up at http://www.teamflyingsolo.com. Since I was insanely busy feeding officials and volunteers, I did not get to watch much -- I think I saw maybe 30-45 minutes of horses in 5 days, LOL, but I did get to have a lot of neat conversations with sponsors, officials, and staff!

We were at Greenwood CIC** with Erin Strader and Radio Flyer. Here is her helmet cam. He was a good boy listening to her after fence five She is working on getting qualified for the NAYRC, now on to Virgina CIC**.

http://youtu.be/u1jrY6YiBQI

Thanks for the link, Wildlifer, and thank you for volunteering at Southern 8s. I tried to thank as many volunteers as possible during the weekend (at the bit checks, the start boxes, the clinics, every gate along roads and tracks, etc.) but I know I didn't get to everyone. Finally riding in a three-day was a longterm goal, and to come out on top in the Training Three-Day was quite the icing on the cake. If it hadn't been for Brad and Patti and Southern 8s, and all the fabulous sponsors and volunteers and staff and clinicians, I never would have been able to check this off my Bucket List.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I'm jealous of all of you! I spent the weekend studying for finals I haven't been to the barn since friday!
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

Well, I have to take my comment back -- Kate Samuels over at EN just posted a great, detailed rider write-up on the Southern Eighths event complete with pictures that the wonderful Brant Gamma donated!

Quote Originally Posted by Bikoman View Post
    We were at Greenwood CIC** with Erin Strader and Radio Flyer. Here is her helmet cam. He was a good boy listening to her after fence five She is working on getting qualified for the NAYRC, now on to Virgina CIC**.

http://youtu.be/u1jrY6YiBQI
    <3 She is a lovely rider and learning so much this year!