The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you let others ride your horse w/o helmet?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never!

129 81.65%
  • Sometimes

7 4.43%
  • Anytime! Their brain.

3 1.90%
  • If its a trainer

23 14.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you let other people ride your horse w/o a helmet?

Just a random question, but do you allow other people ride your horse without a helmet? It makes me kind of uncomfortable, like if they fell off and got a concussion or worse, I'd feel terrible. Also could they potentially sue you for going splat and not having a helmet? Is it different if it is say a non-horsie friend versus a horse friend versus your trainer?
    Last edited by saitou_amaya; May. 7, 2013 at 03:16 AM.

Hell. No. No helmet = no horse. Not even to sit on, for a second.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

7 members found this post helpful.

Well, I let very few people ride my horse anyway......but no way no how without a helmet.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

4 members found this post helpful.

I never get on any horse without a helmet. If someone gets on one of mine, bet your bottom dollar, they will have one on too. No different than wearing a seat belt.

1 members found this post helpful.

Put me in with the All Helmet Club. Every ride. Every rider. . I'm especially careful since my horses are on my property. I don't want to deal with any lawsuits. Even stupid people can sue you.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

2 members found this post helpful.

I even make my trainer wear a helmet.

No helmet, no ride (although to be honest, very few people ride Nikki other than myself and my mom when I'm at school). I have a similar rule with my car; if you're getting a ride in my car, you have to put your seat belt on. If you don't wear a seat belt in your car or don't wear a helmet on your horse, fine. It's not really my concern if someone splits their head open or goes through the windshield because they're choosing to be selfish/ignorant/stupid. But I don't want to get sued and so any work with something I own better be done while following all the safety precautions.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    No helmet, no ride (although to be honest, very few people ride Nikki other than myself and my mom when I'm at school). I have a similar rule with my car; if you're getting a ride in my car, you have to put your seat belt on. If you don't wear a seat belt in your car or don't wear a helmet on your horse, fine. It's not really my concern if someone splits their head open or goes through the windshield because they're choosing to be selfish/ignorant/stupid. But I don't want to get sued and so any work with something I own better be done while following all the safety precautions.
    Exactly this ^^^! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Absolutely not. I don't care whether the rider is an olympian, a BNT, or even a toddler being continuously held on to by an adult for a brief pony ride on my 10 hand pony. I don't care what people do on their own farms on their own horses, but if you are riding on my farm or on one of my horses you will be wearing a helmet. I'm very happy that it is less common to have issues with this nowadays. At this point in time with all the publicity surrounding Courtney King Dye's accident and most people being pretty aware of insurance and liability issues, most people seem to understand and accept helmet rules gracefully.

To answer the OP's questions specifically, yes, you could be sued by a friend or a trainer if they fell off of your horse. I think you would be at the most risk from a non-horse experienced friend (who was obviously relying on you for safety information) and at the least risk with your trainer (who is a professional and presumably knows the horse and knows the risks of riding). Nonetheless, typically owners are responsible for the actions of their animals, so there is always some level of risk in allowing others to ride your horse.

Helmet always. Except if my trainer has to get on during a lesson and do something that is just on the flat for a brief second. I wouldn't expect them to run and grab a helmet if they don't already have one on.

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    Helmet always. Except if my trainer has to get on during a lesson and do something that is just on the flat for a brief second. I wouldn't expect them to run and grab a helmet if they don't already have one on.
    It would be great if your trainer kept a helmet nearby when she's teaching, just for this purpose.

I'm an admitted pro-helmet fascist. But still, I'm always surprised at people who say, "Well, I know my trainer/friend/neighbor's kid wouldn't sue me, because she's a horseperson and understands the risk/is my good friend/will only be on for a second."

Look, none of us is going to get sued because someone falls and breaks their leg. You're going to get sued when someone falls and has a significant neurological or brain injury, and in that case, the injured person probably won't be the one making the decision whether or not to sue. It will be their grief-stricken relatives, who may or may not be horsey people, and even if they are, none of us can predict how we might act if a loved one suffered a life- or personality-changing trauma.

So unless you're Jesus ask your trainer to leave her helmet on the fencepost or on the mounting block while she's with you. No big deal.

6 members found this post helpful.

It might be their brain. But it's my liability!!!!

Part of USDF certification requires the candidate to teach with their helmet present and accounted for, not necessarily on their heads.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

Helmet and signed liability release.

I think it is absolutely silly not to wear a helmet!
    I get why people might feel there is no need, calm horse, only hacking, too hot etc but anything can happen.
    My most recent fall is a perfect example, perfect calm hack, horse caught foot on a piece of binder twine that had dropped in the arena sand and had been tilled into the footing, horse tripped, went hiney over tea kettle. I become the next apollo space ship.
    Luckily we both were fine, a little spooked and a bloody nose but it could have been BAD!

Plus, I work in insurance.... I see too many horrifying things. Wear it! Your head is worth more...

Nope!! It's too much of a liability. If someone hops on him quickly and doesn't have a helmet handy, they wear mine. Just not worth it IMO.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Nope! Ride my horse, as quiet and saintly as everyone thinks he is, you put a helmet on your noggin. I let my gymkhana girlfriend ride him in barrels one time, I made her wear a helmet and I'm glad I did because I forgot to warn her you don't kick the ottb English horse like you do with QH gymkhana horses. He threw himself upwards into the air twice, both times letting out a massive buck mid-air, and took off like the racehorse he used to be. She held on nicely, but the entire arena went silent during that ride, that could have been bad if she didn't have a nice seat.

Also rule in my car is seat belt. In CA the driver can get fined as well as the non-seatbelt person, and I'm not paying for your stupidity.

The few times someone actually rode her (even at a walk), they wore a helmet.

But once I plopped my mom on her without one after my ride. I just led her around by the reins for maybe 5 min, and I didn't even realize that I didn't offer mom my helmet until I saw the pictures (mom helmetless on horse, me on the ground leading, in helmet)

I did click sometimes, but the only person I allow to ride one of my horses without a helmet is my best friend. She owned him before I did, and I do offer her one. However, if she is stupid enough to ride without one, then that's her choice, she is an adult.

No one else, ever. Not even people that just get up there and are walked around the ring.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

My stupid husband will sometimes ride his horse without a helmet, but if he's on Bella, helmet, no exceptions. I can't make him ride with one on Charlie, but I can do the "not pleased wife" thing. He is a grown man, even if he is a stupid grown man for not wearing a helmet.

Everyone else? Children, adults, trainer, professional, ammy, anyone... everyone wears a helmet (well except our Weimaraner, Killian, but she doesn't ride that often, what with being a dog and all).

My trainers always had their helmets with them in lessons, or made someone standing around go get it from the barn. There was an eventing clinic at The Oaks in Lake City, FL a few weeks ago, and their trainer Dean Graham (a trainer who has amazing talent and "stickability") took not only his helmet, but also his vest to go out and teach on the cross country course. He's a smart man. Why injure yourself when it could be something totally preventable?
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

4 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree with you guys, I've just encountered two problems when people ride my horse. One, I've had a hard time convincing people that yes, they do need a helmet, even on my middle aged, fat, lazy friesian. They always think they know enough to know that you don't need a helmet on the lazy, safe horse but not enough to know that you really need a helmet on all horses. Also, I have a tiny head, so a small helmet too. And if let's say my boyfriend's family wants to come ride him I don't really have a helmet to offer them, except maybe the children lol! I feel guilty saying "Well, not helmet, no ride" because I do love sharing my fat man. But I know I would feel more guilty if someone fell off and smashed their brain.