The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think she's very cute, and I hope it works out. FWIW, I like her registered name.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Nip arrived safe and sound at 11:30am this morning! I only got to hang out with her for a few minutes after I paid the hauler and signed all the boarding agreements/releases because I had to go to work. But I'll be out there first thing tomorrow and I'll definitely bring my camera.

When I have more time tomorrow I'll post more, making it brief because it's so late. But I did skim over some of the new responses, thank you and will respond tomorrow.

Here's a pic I took of Nip and my trainer with my phone to tide y'all over:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/290xwn7.jpg

It was the first time my trainer had seen her because she was up at Woodside for a 2 week show, so relieved that she loves her too
    Last edited by Mi; May. 10, 2013 at 05:53 AM. Reason: adding smilies

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    ^ Agree completely.

Also, I personally would stay away from senior feed for a horse that is not a senior. The calcium ratio is completely back@$$wards for non-senior horses.
    Did you just make that up? That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen. My entire herd is on senior feed, and not a one is senior. Even my racehorses are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by halo View Post
    Did you just make that up? That is the most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen. My entire herd is on senior feed, and not a one is senior. Even my racehorses are on it.
    No I did not just make it up.

Senior feeds have modified calcium and phosporous levels to combat bone demineralization. Calcium and phosphorus interact so the ratio needs to be right. If you are putting "combatting bone demineralization" levels into a horse that is not experiencing bone demineralization, you can screw it up.

This is why it says "SENIOR" on the bag instead of "Weight Gain" or "EZ Digest" or something non age specific.

Additionally, if you are feeding rice bran, especially to young horses, without paying attention to the calcium/phosphorus ratio in the horse's overall diet, watch out. Not making that up, either.

2 members found this post helpful.

Mi, cute pic. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing your progress.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

1 members found this post helpful.

The calcium phosphorous ratio in senior feed is just fine for all horses. Just read the bag.

The calcium phosphorous ratio in senior feed is just fine for all horses. Just read the bag.
    Well in that case I wonder where all the research came from linking too little fat/protein and messed up calcium ratios in grain to foals and yearlings growing up with joint issues and OCDs.

Senior feed is expressly NOT FINE for foals (when they are ready for grain) and yearlings. It is not great for horses that aren't senior but it is actively no bueno for yearlings or younger.

People have known for years that you can mess up a horse's joints if you feed it too much and/or the wrong grain when it is young.

Have you ever asked yourself why?

And extrapolated, perhaps, to asking yourself why, in turn, feed manufacturers have AGE SPECIFIC formulations available?

Good luck with her. She's a real cutie.

If you're worried about tendon problems, I'd steer clear of the SMBs. They heat the legs up so much.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    If you're worried about tendon problems, I'd steer clear of the SMBs. They heat the legs up so much.
    ^ This!
    Look for the equine boot research study & read between the lines ...
    Pro Choice does have an excellent customer satisfaction policy

Have to say, Nip has a great eye. No hint of fear, no pain, no distrust. Intersested but not suspicious. I'm impressed.

Now you just need to find out exactly what is wrong soundness wise and give it time to really heal.

Just because they are on let down/rehab does not mean you don't touch them or abandon all contact. There are lots of things you can do with them on a daily basis to give them some routine without riding and I sure would not be lunging in small circles right now.

Give her some time and feed as you, your trainer and your vet decide is best. She is not in bad weight at all, just track fit. Don't rush the food anymore then the healing and going back to regular work.

Shell be fine weight and work wise, some diagnostics and rest will tell the tale soundness wise.

You realize we are going to need updates with pictures on a regular basis.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hey everyone,
    On my lunch break atm and finally have time to come on for a sec.
    Today was both stressful/sad and wonderful. Late last night my kitty Dexter began having trouble urinating.. I brought him to the vet first thing this morning. They diagnosed urinary blockage and said it would be $1500 for the visit, to test the urine, put him under and insert catheter, and flush him in the ICU at the vet hospital then hold him for 36 hours. We of course did not have an extra $1500 lying around and my boyfriend got denied on the credit application for a payment plan. They told me if he wasn't treated he would die... I started crying, I was in complete shock that our 1.5 year old cat that we've had from 6 weeks of life on could just die because we didn't have $1500 for a bladder infection!
    We ended up paying $720 for the anesthesia, tests, and they inserted the catheter and flushed him and we picked him up at 6pm instead of having him in emergency car for 36 hours.. we have to inject him with water and give him medicine.
    We won't know tomorrow till the tests come back whether it's something we can fix with a special diet or if he's just going to get blocked again. We would not be able to afford to clear another blockage...
    I'm agnostic, but please pray for Dexter <3
    http://i44.tinypic.com/erwuo0.jpg

Thankfully after I dropped off Dex at the hospital I got to go out to the barn... Nip is such a sweetheart, I'm in love already. When I first got her out we just walked around and she was just bursting with energy like she was off to race. But I could tell she was excited at the same time and she was actually really responsive while I was leading her.

She settled down in all of 10 minutes. At that point it was like she'd been living at our barn for her entire life.. she just munched grass and stared off into space. And followed me like a puppy dog.. Despite being 8 she's still a baby.

Gtg back to work, more info and pics later!

Jingles for Dexter. Sorry you are going through that.

Good news on Nip, though. She sounds really nice. Keep us posted.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Jungles for Dex!!!
    he's a very cute boy.
    He may do just as well under your care as at the hospital, most cats are very stressed away from home: just make sure he gets his meds & fluids & watch for any signs that his distress is increasing (most cats are very stoic).

You can monitor his urine pH with special litters, also check daily for appropriate sized urine clumps.
    If he's been on dry food, transition him off.

Will vet collect & analyse any crystals?

Glad that Nip is doing well

Quote Originally Posted by Mi View Post
    Nip arrived safe and sound at 11:30am this morning! I only got to hang out with her for a few minutes after I paid the hauler and signed all the boarding agreements/releases because I had to go to work. But I'll be out there first thing tomorrow and I'll definitely bring my camera.

When I have more time tomorrow I'll post more, making it brief because it's so late. But I did skim over some of the new responses, thank you and will respond tomorrow.

Here's a pic I took of Nip and my trainer with my phone to tide y'all over:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/290xwn7.jpg

It was the first time my trainer had seen her because she was up at Woodside for a 2 week show, so relieved that she loves her too
    You know, she really has one of the nicest eyes I've seen in a horse in a long time - very soft, curious and yet totally alive. What a sparkle with that face. I think she's a diamond in the rough
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

A nutritionist at Triple Crown recommended their senior feed for my ulcer prone 3-year-old TB.

Many jingles for Dexter! Hoping today is a better day!

Jingling for Dexter! Hope things are looking up!

Nip is beautiful! What a kind eye, congrats

Jingles for your kitty!

When this mare was first listed, I immediately checked her pedigree to see if she was related to my guy, Pack O' Gold. Nothing even close, but they did race at the same track! She looks like a sweetheart. Congrats!

Thanks everyone <3 I'm so glad I made this thread!
    I was hesitant because while I lurk COTH frequently one of the reasons I find it so entertaining is also why I wasn't sure if I should post. There's so many different opinions which can result in shall we say.. intense debate? xD

Dexter is feeling much better! Thanks for all the jingles. He came home a little bit sleepy and unhappy but quickly perked up to his old playful self. We're giving him subcutaneous fluids under the skin and pills to relax his urethra. They also injected him with a 10 day antibiotic. We're still waiting to find out though whether his new diet will prevent him from having any other problems or if it's something that cannot be changed.. and he'll get another blockage. Keeping my fingers crossed

Went out to the barn again today for several hours. Nip completely defies all OTTB stereotypes, she is already settled and follows me around like a puppy dog. I have to be careful, she's already getting spoiled! Occasionally she'll get really excited by certain triggers.. I wonder if it's stuff that reminds her of the track because she won't blink an eye at something that would spook another horse but something totally random will make her prance in place and get super excited. Then she quiets down.

Gave her a bath, handwalked her, and hosed her leg. We were going to have our farrier due her evaluation later in the week when she was more settled in but her leg hind shoe is currently hanging on by one nail -.- I taped the whole hoof in hopes of keeping it on until tomorrow.

And now, pictures:
    http://i40.tinypic.com/1zvfnlv.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/35c4odx.jpg
    http://i40.tinypic.com/9lepn6.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/15cjc07.jpg

Can't wait till the farrier can help her poor ouchy feet.. they're putting so much pressure on her joints I'm sure and she can't even stand under herself.

Great news all the way around! Thanks for the update, and continued jingles for Dexter, and for Nip's (I love that name!) feet!