The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canter mare

I've been looking for a personal horse for a few months now.
    Just something I can hack around, play with, and just enjoy horse ownership again. I do have a H/J trainer and if we go on to compete, great. But that's not the main goal.

I'm a TB girl and I've looked at several horses at the track.
    There's quite a few I like, but Sunday I looked at a mare that I immediately thought was perfect. The only downside is she's 8 years old, but other than that I really like her.

For those of you that know about TB racing lines for sport, here's her pedigree:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/nip+of+gold

She has Buckpasser a few times as well as Cox's Ridge and Damascus and Tom Fool. But I admit I'm just learning about TB pedigrees.

Here's her Canter ad: http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ings&Itemid=61

I'm going up with my trainer Wednesday to see her actually move on the track and we should be making an offer and hopefully taking her home. I've talked to her trainer, her groom, and her vet.

From the pics she looks a little toed out and needs weight, but she has a good head, kinda eye, and was calm even in the crazy atmosphere at the track.

Any opinions guys?

Pure gut reaction: I like her. I am a Cox's Ridge fan & there is NOTHING in her pedigree I do not like.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

1 members found this post helpful.

She's very straight behind, but other than that I like her.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

She looks like she may be built slightly downhill? Its so hard to judge by pictures, hopefully she is even and clean when you go to meet her.

she's got 39 starts. I'd vet the heck out of her. If she's clean, she's made of iron and will last forever. She does have a very, very sweet face!

To me she looks a little downhill and I'd take a good look at her back right behind the withers, dips a bit more then usual there and I doubt it's a track thing with the topline. Kind of straight behind for jumping too.

I could live with this kind of thing-and have as I always was in a price range where some compromise was necessary. Sometimes a lot of compromise.

At that price I doubt they would hold for a PPE that will cost more then she does but she may be worth the gamble. Good idea to take your trainer and maybe even contact somebody else who routinely buys this way-they can tell in 30 seconds.

Good luck.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

sent you a pm.

I see what others do: Toeing out (and it may be high up the leg). Straight behind, especially in the hocks. A dip behind the withers that may make saddle fitting a PITA.

But for your purposes, OP, a good mind will make the rest of that not so important. And it would be cool if she were one of those super-sound-for-no-good-reason horses.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Mi View Post
    I've been looking for a personal horse for a few months now.
    Just something I can hack around, play with, and just enjoy horse ownership again. I do have a H/J trainer and if we go on to compete, great. But that's not the main goal.
    This sounds like just the sort of home she'd do well in, just make sure you''d really be OK if she shouldn't jump, also how'd you'd manage any rehab should it be necessary re not every barn is well set up for stall/paddock rest or turnout (limited or a lot, eg, if she has arthritis, can you do field board).

calm even in the crazy atmosphere at the track.
    sometimes this is just a reflection of the low weight & being "at home" - she knows exactly what's what in that environment, a nice trail ride or hack may give you a completely different horse, so as long as you're able/willing to work through this possibility

Ad mentions a fetlock that scanned clean, ask if your vet can view the scans.

Hey guys, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Looks like conformation wise you guys pretty much saw what I did.. Though I will say that I don't think she is down hill, the pictures are of her standing in front of one of the barns and the footing is really uneven there. In person she didn't look downhill to me but she has some huge withers, damn. She did look better in person, I must say.

As far as the leg, she had some heat in it a month ago. They put her on stall rest and hand-walking and had it X-rayed. I spoke to the vet myself, he looked everywhere on the leg and found nothing. And he's going to mail me a disk with the xrays.

Which leads me to an update:
    They jogged her on the track this morning and were going to work her but she seemed NQR. They took her in and there was a little heat in the leg. Though when I saw her, she banged her hip coming out of the stall when the assistant led her out. Not her fault at all, the doorway is super narrow and he pulled her out really fast. So when he jogged her for me it was obvious her hip was still stinging. There was a small patch of hair missing.

Anyway, the trainer offered her to me free.
    He said he wouldn't feel right selling a horse that isn't 100% sound when he loads her onto the trailer and at 8 years old she's not worth the money it would take to keep her on stall rest and then recondition her to race again.

I've spoken to many people at the track about her trainer, they all have nothing but good things to say.. that he has nice horses, he treats his horses well, and he's an upstanding guy. So while I would normally be suspicious of a free horse, it makes sense. She's 8 and he wants a good home.

What do you guys think? Pros and cons?

Board is really cheap at our facility.. $300 for a stall or a paddock in the mare barn or $250 pasture. We have a hot walker and turn out as well as a jumping arena, dressage arena, and round pens. My trainer has rehabbed many horses and has a great farrier that is on site and has done the same. She's okay with taking the mare.

We're thinking we'll take her home and she'll go straight to our farrier. We'd like to do a skyline view of her hooves and more X-rays if needed. We'll stall rest/hand walk if needed and then she'll go out to pasture for a let down period and then we'll bring her back and start training slowly.

Thanks for the PMs, I'll respond shortly.

Just regarding conformation---I would confidently say she is downhill. Remember it's not all about the topline (also look at the line/slope from the point of the stifle to the point of the elbow). She has a wonderful sloping shoulder and hip, but her neck is set low and is kinda short in proportion to her body. This would lead me to believe that she would naturally hold it pretty high (also given the downhill part--even if it's just slight). Nice length of back; not to long, not too short. Back legs/hocks a little too straight--may be short behind/have trouble reaching under. Lots of things depend on what discipline you plan to do with her.

Cute face! Best of luck with whatever you decide!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

As long as you have a plan for what to do if she turns out to be lame as a duck, it's worth the gamble. But watch out if you get attached easily and if you can only afford 1 horse.

Well, if she's not conformationally built for jumping we'll just have to do flat work. I can brush up on my dressage, my trainer's assistant is currently showing at 3rd level.

My trainer asked me to do a blog tracking our progress I told her yes so we'll be tracking Nip's progress with journal entries and pictures!

Next up I need to rename her!

Sounds like she is coming home with you, she's worth a shot with what you describe and say you want to do.

Do yourself a favor here, two actually. First is post over on the racing forum for somebody to pull her track records. That will show any gaps that could be due to injury and how long she was off. Help you plan her let down, rest and rehab.

Second thing is get ultrasounds instead of new x rays since she has recent one,not that pricey. The on off NQR is frequently due to suspensory issues. Often they are undiagnosed as they mimic other things in other legs as they compensate, waste money looking for and treating the wrong leg for the wrong injury. Just as often as the misdiagnosis, the rest and rehab get rushed and it does not get a chance to really heal completely.

If she were mine I'd ease her away from the track routine and introduce her to proper turnout and then let Dr Green take over and do her magic. It could be anything from 3 months to a year to really heal her but she's worked all her life and deserves a proper let down.

I think Nip is a cute barn name and good luck to you.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Thank you. Yep, everything is all set up now.. she will be here Thursday morning. I bought some Pro Choice sports medicine boots, bell boots, polos, and standing wraps. As well as a joint supplement, blanket, leather halter and lead, and probably another item or two I'm forgetting.

Tomorrow I need to figure out what I'm going to feed her. I don't want to shock her system, so she'll just be eating grass hay for lunch and dinner with alfalfa for lunch like the other horses in my trainer's program. And then we'll reintroduce some grain slowly, probably a senior feed.

We're for sure doing a skyline view of her hooves and she's getting her current shoes taken off and her feet redone. I agree with the ultrasounds too.

My trainer wants to start riding her the second she's sound because that's what she did with her OTTB years back but I'm just against it.. I want to give her time to be a horse. And every good rescue TB I've seen gives their horse a let down period and any person I've met with OTTB experience has said the same.

Just FYI anyone can search race records on Equibase.com, without a fee or login

http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Res...89&registry=T#

Quote Originally Posted by Mi View Post
    My trainer wants to start riding her the second she's sound because that's what she did with her OTTB years back but I'm just against it.. I want to give her time to be a horse. And every good rescue TB I've seen gives their horse a let down period and any person I've met with OTTB experience has said the same.
    Just a suggestion, but I tend to agree with your trainer on this. I know lots of people recommend and do well with giving horses extended time off after taking them off the track, but keep in mind that not ALL OTTBs do well with this program. I've had quite a few that their minds were so active, that they needed the regular work right from the beginning or they fretted. Most horses on the track are trained 6-7 days a weeks, so they are used to routine and a job. Not saying you need to drill her, but keep an eye on her attitude. In my experience, the older they are when they come off the track, the more they WANT a job and a work routine, even if it's a simple walk and trot around the ring for 15 minutes.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

3 members found this post helpful.

^ Agree completely.

Also, I personally would stay away from senior feed for a horse that is not a senior. The calcium ratio is completely back@$$wards for non-senior horses.

2 members found this post helpful.

Since she isn't sound she is most likely going to get mandatory time off for a little while at least. Once the vet determines that she is sound there is no reason to start working her back into stuff. You don't have to immediately hop on and expect her to be jumping and showing in 90 days like some people do. If you want to take her slow, she is your horse, take her slow. My first OTTB did a little turnout and learned to longe when I first got him. The second one had been off the track for a little while so doesn't count, the third was on 3 months of stall rest for a tendon injury but healed by the end of 3 months and was able to go to work. We worked slow, learning to longe and getting all the sillys out from 3 months of stall rest. I spend a lot of time walking and trotting, we like to master those (and make sure halt is firmly in place) before we start cantering and then make sure we have a good understanding of that before we start jumping. My new baby I've had since right before Thanksgiving. He is just getting under saddle now as I've had a sale pony and had to focus on her so I could get her sold. Plus he needed some time to decompress his body. Mentally he has been pretty good but knowing that he was anxious at the track I wanted to make sure he had time to settle in and get used to things. Since he also came in the middle of winter and I don't have a covered arena he had some unwanted time off anyway. Then everytime we are ready to get to work he will throw a shoe! He now has a happy body (has had more massages then I've ever had), a happy mind (nothing seems to bother him), happy feet and happy teeth and he is doing fantastically undersaddle! But what it comes down to is that she is your horse not your trainers so you can choose which way you want to work with her.

"happy feet and happy teeth" I love that.

OP good luck. Sounds like she found a great new home.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde