The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default help with feeding a fat cat that needs to lose weight

It's been a week now with Snuggleupwithgus and he as come out of his shell. And boy is he living up to his name, he is just the sweetest love.

Just to refresh, Gus Gus is a 6 year old neutered Siamese that weighs in at a whooping 23 lbs.

I need to get some of this weight off of him. This is where I need your help.

Currently he and my other cat are eating one 3.5 oz can of quality grain free wet food (earthborn holistics regular formula) in the morning and there is a bowl of taste of the wild dry food available 24/7. (not low fat or low calorie, everything is full or regular formula)

I opened up the refrigerator yesterday and the door swung back open and to my surprise Gus Gus had cased the shelves and jumped in!

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/ona...tml?sort=3&o=6

He is so interested in the kitchen and what comes out of the fridge and this leads me to believe that he was "fed" from the fridge.

So, my question to you all is....Is he getting enough food to shed pounds or do I need to feed him a can in the afternoon to keep his body burning calories.

He is not super active, its hard to just play with him, when I pull Da' Bird out to play with him the dog wants to play too.

He really needs play to get his metabolism working properly. Do regulate his food to a few small meals a day - one of those small tins is supposed to be two meals for a cat, so if you can manage to break it into maybe four feedings and a small snack of dry and make sure he can't get to the dog food.

As I understand it, he was a porker when you got him, and if the fridge calls him, he probably got fed every time the fridge was opened, not a good thing.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Do he and the other cat finish their canned food in front of you, and you pick up the bowls? Or do you feed and leave it out and come back at some later point and pick it up?

Because you have a shared dry food well, you have NO idea how many calories he is getting during the day.

I would ditch the free buffet and feed MEALS to each cat. I've actually gone to small dog crates for feeding all four of my cats, and it works SO well. We had been feeding wet, leaving it down all day until dinner, picking up the then empty bowls and feeding dinner, leaving them down until breakfast. The FAT cat was getting FAR more than her fair share.

So we started feeding the one fat cat in a small dog crate. (The 24"x18"x19" model here) She went in the crate with her food, the other cats were fed loose and after about 45 minutes, everything was picked up and Puck was let out of the box.

Then Portia required special food, so she also got a box.

Then we decided screw it, they can all be fed in boxes.

The results are:

Fat cat is slimming down (slowly, safely)
    Allergy cat is doing very well
    Distracted, wanders away cat is finishing her food (nothing else to do in there)
    Easy cat is still easy and eats just fine

I think your #1 priority, though, has got to be CONTROLLING how many calories in you've got going to Fat Cat, which means no more buffet and at least supervised wet food.

And, you know already that wet food really is better all around. I'd really want to ditch the dry food all together.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    one of those small tins is supposed to be two meals for a cat, so if you can manage to break it into maybe four feedings and a small snack of dry and make sure he can't get to the dog food.
    One of the SMALL (3.2) oz cans is definitely NOT two meals for a cat. You're thinking of the larger 5.5 oz cans. The small cans are one meal for one cat. The 5.5 oz cans are two meals for one cat. The BIG 13 oz cans are a little over 2 meals for 2 cats. (All numbers for your average cat, of course.)

Both boys eat one 3.5 can in the AM and they each eat their own. If they leave it, I pull it and re-offer later when I can watch. (mainly because of the dog)

I do know that the dry is not good for them the original cat was only eating 1/8 of a cup a day, if that, and I have not increased it or started to put more in since Gus Gus moved in, (he is not a fan if it) .

I will have to lock the dog in the other room so I can get Gus Gus going with some play each day.

Thanks sk pacer and simkie!

If he's really only eating one 3.5 oz can a day, and not any dry food, that is a frighteningly small amount of calories for a 20 lb cat (for me, at least. Have you talked to your vet about his diet and weight loss plan?)

If he is not eating any dry food, I would give him a small can am and a small can pm and go from there. If he DOES eat SOME dry food, I would make him work for it. Toss it piece by piece down the hallway (or wherever) and make him chase for his food.

that is what I thought, that he actually is not eating enough since he is not eating the dry. I will add some can (I will start with half to total 5.25 oz a day) in the PM and when he walks away take it from him.

Its only been 7 days since I have had him so we are still learning about each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    One of the SMALL (3.2) oz cans is definitely NOT two meals for a cat. You're thinking of the larger 5.5 oz cans. The small cans are one meal for one cat. The 5.5 oz cans are two meals for one cat. The BIG 13 oz cans are a little over 2 meals for 2 cats. (All numbers for your average cat, of course.)
    Oh crap!!!! I did kinda wonder if my math was off (wouldn't be the first time)......we get tins marked in grams, and even after all these years of enforced metric, the only thing I am sure of is 454 grams is a pound. Sorting anything else out is a PITA and I just read labels. I avoid the really small tins because the cats here think the contents are poison for some reason.

Now where is that smily with a bag over its head, just perfect for such an occassion!!!ROFL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

According to this chart, you need 293 kcal per day for weight loss and 366 for obese prone.

Your 3 oz cans (straight 3 oz, no point anything, according to the site) provide 55-63 kcal per can, depending on variety.

Which means you are still really, really low, even if you are feeding two FULL little cans. I would REALLY not feed LESS than two full cans a day, and you might want to consider feeding three. Or more.

Better to start high and adjust lower than to feel waaaaaay too little and perhaps have hepatic lipadosis on the table.