The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Auburn, sounds like great news! I hope you get a full recovery just know that time is your friend. Now not to be the Debbie downer, just know that a lot of times you can't see a suspensory lameness at the trot. Our horse looked sound at the trot, it was the canter when we said "oh crap!"
    StrawberryFields- Condition in any way possible. The horse needs to be fit as a fiddle. Hills are good but you have to be ready to pull the plug on any outing ( including an event ) if footing is deep. We use ice after workouts of any kind.
    FWIW my vet interestingly enough told us when competing/training ,that unless our horse hits his legs/feet and is prone to hitting himself,take off the boots as they keep the heat in and that's when they are more susceptible to injury. We still put some light woof boots on him for XC but nothing at Stadium.
    Chiropractor saw him the other day (not Vet) and said he should be fine....just get him a to peak condition.
    I think we are going to start him at a TN event So the XC is Nov and Dressage and Stadium will be Training. We will make the decision for the bigger show after that.
    We always listen to the horse so if he gives us any indication he's not ready or able,we will follow his lead.
    Keep us posted on your mare! This injury sucks but there are success stories out there, you just have to keep hopeful but be smart about it too!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

It sounds like you need to have it re-scanned (ultrasound). I didn't see anywhere in your posts where that had been done post-injury. This will give you some piece of mind.

On that note, I personally would prefer the training over 3 days vs. the novice all in one day with questionable footing if I had a horse like this. That is to say, as long as both horse and rider are up to the task. The training format allows for more recovery time and time to ice/rest between events. JMHO.

1 members found this post helpful.

We did do an ultrasound post injury...about 10 mos. after.

how long has it been since the last ultrasound?

I'm trying to recall...did it roughly 10-12 mos after initial injury and after starting him back into some light work. I think it was 2 yrs ago at this point? Late this summer will be 3 yrs since injury

how much would it cost? You could also get a second opinion from a sport horse vet just to be sure. Wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion

I have heard nothing but good things about swimming the ponies! I feel its a GREAT idea for getting horses fit again and for rehab

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Since I have been rehabing a slight suspensory injury from early March, it is so good to see some positive outcomes. All I have read about are the bad ones. I was beginning to believe that Tessie's eventing career was done. It still may be done, but at least there is some hope.

OP,
    Sorry to hyjack your thread. Would you mind telling me how you brought your horse back into work? I followed the advice of my Vet in early March, but Tess had a setback. I took her to Rood and Riddle last week. They gave her injections and shock wave therapy, which we will do for a total of three weeks. I am starting handwalking again, for the next two weeks. Did you do any other kind of therapy on your horse?

We have the opportunity to put her in a hyperberic (sp?) chamber and to start her back with swimming. Does anybody know if either of those would be useful to rehab a suspensory? I plan on asking the Vets at Rood and Riddle, but wanted to hear of positive experiences.

OP,
    Before moving up to Training, I would definitely speak with a Vet. If your Vet said 3', there must have been a reason. Since you have had the frustration of rehabing the suspensory before, do you really want to chance having to do it again?