The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question More...Brenderup questions

Hi!

Couple of questions for you... I am looking to purchase a 1999 Royal model. Going to look at it Sunday and if I like it will take it right then and there.

1. what is the typical ball size for hitch for Brenderup trailers?
    2. I have a Honda Ridgeline - should be no problem towing it yes? The weights and wheel base all "fit" and are well within limits - anything else I need to be aware of?
    3. My truck has the standard pronged plug for lights. Will the Brenderup be so easy to just plug in, hitch and go?
    4. What care is there for the special inertia brakes?
    5. The floor was replaced completely in 2009. The trailer had moderate to heavy use for several years. What else may need attention? I am aware I will need new tires.
    6. Knowing the info stated above, what is the going rate for this trailer for this year with this wear would you say?

Thanks!!!

Some of the questions are answered here:

http://www.theydeservethebest.com/brenderup/faq.html

I owned one for 8 years, and had really few problems. One of them was some issues w/ the hand brake cable because I was in the north and it got messed up by salt/road crap in the winter. I had the trailer serviced by a normal trailer dealer. I don't remember ever doing anything specific to the brakes, other than getting the wiring/cables, etc generally checked.
    Prices are tough to figure - these are hard trailers to find generally; the demand fell off for a bit but now that parts seem to be available, I think its picked up again. My 2003 model was sold by a dealer for somewhere around $8k two years ago; (I traded it in)

Regarding trailering, I used first a Durango, then a Tahoe. The places I went included some hills and w/ a 1300 lb horse in there, the Durango struggled a bit on the uphills.
    I so loved that trailer, but unfortunately my new horse did not - she scrambled a bit, and has made it clear she prefers to ride sideways, at least in a bumper pull trailer.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........